Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old November 13 2013, 06:13 PM   #3991
Scout101
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Well, I think it's more complicated than that. They just never get the chance to test under full server lose until they go live with an update.
Ok, but that just means that they've been suprised 8 times in a row, that's all. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 8 times? Come on. Gotta be a way to simulate this better, or give better testing rewards (and advertise them) to get people to help. Or if it's just server capacity, have resources they can bring online for a couple weeks until the surge dies down. Every time they add a new season/patch, we get huge queues, server crashes, and other hiccups that aren't related to the 'bugs' in the gameplay they missed. How many times can they act shocked?

For all the help they get with testing, doesn't seem like they implement a lot. Did they do testing rewards this time around? Didn't see anything? That's more about the bugs/design than the server loads, though.

And then, gotta guide the testing somewhat. Kinda seems like the ground aspects didn't get nearly the testing the space side did. Mostly because they suck at ground, and don't recognize that they need to make ground rewards bigger to justify the harder missions and longer times to complete.

Think about it: when's the last time you did a ground STF? Can you even find a PUG group to do one anymore? Last couple times I tried, I couldn't get one to start. Can almost never even scrape one up in the EliteSTF channel anymore. Rewards are all the same, so you do the easy 5 minute space one instead of the harder 30 minute ground one...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 06:37 PM   #3992
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Well, they added the Dyson Tribble to the c-store, but everyone can grab it for free for a limited time.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 07:50 PM   #3993
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I have a question ever since my Romulan character hit level 50 I haven't been able to access the New Romulus Command Center, does anyone know how to fix that?
You should be able to beam down to the "adventure zone", sit through the cinematic, then you should be able to go back to the command center.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 07:59 PM   #3994
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

-Brett- wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I have a question ever since my Romulan character hit level 50 I haven't been able to access the New Romulus Command Center, does anyone know how to fix that?
You should be able to beam down to the "adventure zone", sit through the cinematic, then you should be able to go back to the command center.
Okay, thanks.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 08:45 PM   #3995
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Well, I think it's more complicated than that. They just never get the chance to test under full server lose until they go live with an update.
Ok, but that just means that they've been suprised 8 times in a row, that's all. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 8 times? Come on. Gotta be a way to simulate this better, or give better testing rewards (and advertise them) to get people to help. Or if it's just server capacity, have resources they can bring online for a couple weeks until the surge dies down. Every time they add a new season/patch, we get huge queues, server crashes, and other hiccups that aren't related to the 'bugs' in the gameplay they missed. How many times can they act shocked?

For all the help they get with testing, doesn't seem like they implement a lot. Did they do testing rewards this time around? Didn't see anything? That's more about the bugs/design than the server loads, though.

And then, gotta guide the testing somewhat. Kinda seems like the ground aspects didn't get nearly the testing the space side did. Mostly because they suck at ground, and don't recognize that they need to make ground rewards bigger to justify the harder missions and longer times to complete.

Think about it: when's the last time you did a ground STF? Can you even find a PUG group to do one anymore? Last couple times I tried, I couldn't get one to start. Can almost never even scrape one up in the EliteSTF channel anymore. Rewards are all the same, so you do the easy 5 minute space one instead of the harder 30 minute ground one...
They've said they always suffer revenue loss during the tribble test weekend. So it becomes a tug of war between the the need to have revenue vs the need to do proper load testing (which can only happen with real players and not some scripted/recorded player actions). This time round, they chose not to have a test weekend, which kinda implies they cannot do a full capacity load test.

They can't just temporarily add extra servers to tide over the initial surge, it costs money. And what are they going to do with the extra servers after the surge is over?

As for ground adventures, I actually raised the point that ground rewards simply are not as good as space rewards in the tribble forums. Likely other players also raised similar points. As a result, they've doubled the vendor purchase price of all ground gear at the last minute. Yes, its still not enough but at least they're doing something. Hopefully when they have the time, they can do a proper review and make more changes to make ground rewards even more attractive.
Old November 13 2013, 08:50 PM   #3996
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

What did Capt. Taggart do that made him captain of an all-ensign crew on some old junk-heap that would normally get commanded by a Lt? Which admiral's taco did he poop in as a cadet?
Old November 13 2013, 10:25 PM   #3997
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Well, someone has to captain a training ship.
Like Spock in Star Trek 2 and Pike in Star Trek 09... sort of.
Old November 14 2013, 03:12 AM   #3998
Aeolusdallas
Captain

TheRoyalFamily wrote: View Post
What did Capt. Taggart do that made him captain of an all-ensign crew on some old junk-heap that would normally get commanded by a Lt? Which admiral's taco did he poop in as a cadet?
Training Commands are actually a pretty standard stepping stool to the Admiralty in many navies. Jackie Fisher comes to mind.
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 04:51 PM   #3999
T J
Commodore

Had a few minutes to play last night. I created a new Engineer character, a Caitian, Kattan! Boy is he a jumper! Love the pounce, kitty claws hurt! lol I likes the new training opening. Pretty new bridge, feels more like Star Trek. Looking forward to getting more into the new content.

Last edited by T J; November 14 2013 at 07:38 PM.
T J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 09:44 PM   #4000
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Well, someone has to captain a training ship.
Like Spock in Star Trek 2 and Pike in Star Trek 09... sort of.
I didn't think that was it - in the first mission they make it sound like it's an actual assignment, but then I finished the three missions, and yah, it's a graduation/training cruise.
Old November 16 2013, 09:11 PM   #4001
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I finally had time to make a character and play a little bit.
I made an Andorian tactical officer (and he's very hunky!). Peeking at the store in the game, there is a lot of fun stuff in there I'd enjoy playing with if I ever really got the hang of this to make it worth the expense. I read that I can get some weird variant of a tribble as a pet for free, but the game won't let me have it. Am I required to set up some kind of account with a credit card or something, or is there some other issue? It's not a big deal, but I'd like to get the tribble if I can get it for free.
I really enjoyed everything in the beginning. The shipboard action, the visuals of everything were very nice.
Once the whole thing turned into piloting the ship around though, the whole thing got pretty awful. I'm apparently very very bad at piloting. I think I'm improving, but it wasn't much fun. I struggled thru it, trying to get back to the part where I was having fun. So far, there's not been much of that. Now I'm out of the training intro and into the first episode and I've spent a long long ....long time scanning an area with nothing happening, and for the life of me I can't figure out if I'm supposed to do something else or if I really am supposed to just stick in one small area and run my scanners all day.
It's possible my problems are due to my own incompetence and poor skills. I've never done one of these mmo whatever games before. The parts that were good were very good, and I want to like it, but I don't know how much I'm going to play with the level of difficulty and frustration I'm having.
If anybody has any advice to help I really appreciate it. I want to like the game, and play it. But either the game is a lot more difficult and tedious than I was expecting, or I'm doing something wrong.
Old November 16 2013, 09:12 PM   #4002
Aeolusdallas
Captain

borgboy wrote: View Post
I finally had time to make a character and play a little bit.
I made an Andorian tactical officer (and he's very hunky!). Peeking at the store in the game, there is a lot of fun stuff in there I'd enjoy playing with if I ever really got the hang of this to make it worth the expense. I read that I can get some weird variant of a tribble as a pet for free, but the game won't let me have it. Am I required to set up some kind of account with a credit card or something, or is there some other issue? It's not a big deal, but I'd like to get the tribble if I can get it for free.
I really enjoyed everything in the beginning. The shipboard action, the visuals of everything were very nice.
Once the whole thing turned into piloting the ship around though, the whole thing got pretty awful. I'm apparently very very bad at piloting. I think I'm improving, but it wasn't much fun. I struggled thru it, trying to get back to the part where I was having fun. So far, there's not been much of that. Now I'm out of the training intro and into the first episode and I've spent a long long ....long time scanning an area with nothing happening, and for the life of me I can't figure out if I'm supposed to do something else or if I really am supposed to just stick in one small area and run my scanners all day.
It's possible my problems are due to my own incompetence and poor skills. I've never done one of these mmo whatever games before. The parts that were good were very good, and I want to like it, but I don't know how much I'm going to play with the level of difficulty and frustration I'm having.
If anybody has any advice to help I really appreciate it. I want to like the game, and play it. But either the game is a lot more difficult and tedious than I was expecting, or I'm doing something wrong.
What issues are you having steering the ship?
Old November 16 2013, 09:28 PM   #4003
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Just getting it to go where I want it to. I'm not sure there's actually a problem beyond my terrible skills. I have gotten a little better, but it seems like so far there's been an awful lot of steering.
The big issue now is this whole thing about scanning the alpha point. I'm pretty sure I'm in the right area, because the map keeps pointing back here if I try to go anywhere else, but my scans aren't turning up anything and I'm at a loss as for what to do next.
Old November 16 2013, 09:42 PM   #4004
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

What's your character@handle in game... logging in now with a new character, i can team up with you for a bit and help you get a grip on space flight/combat. Because let's face it... if you don't like space in STO, this game might not be entirely for you.
Space is where all the marketing focus and most of the MMO part of it lies.
Old November 16 2013, 10:09 PM   #4005
Aeolusdallas
Captain

borgboy wrote: View Post
Just getting it to go where I want it to. I'm not sure there's actually a problem beyond my terrible skills. I have gotten a little better, but it seems like so far there's been an awful lot of steering.
The big issue now is this whole thing about scanning the alpha point. I'm pretty sure I'm in the right area, because the map keeps pointing back here if I try to go anywhere else, but my scans aren't turning up anything and I'm at a loss as for what to do next.
How are you steering? With the mouse or WASD?