Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 13 2013, 07:04 PM   #16
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Happy Veterans Day!

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Is "Happy Veterans Day" actually appropriate? War veterans have seen some serious shit, I don't think those are very fond memories.
I asked this question to myself the other day, but it was more along the lines of should we consider it a "holiday". Yeah we are celebrating Veterans and what they do to protect us, but we are also remembering those who died. I think what I decided is it's like Memorial Day. It's not a holiday, but it's a day of reflection and thought.

To all the men and women in the service, thank you for what you do.
Old November 13 2013, 07:13 PM   #17
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
I asked this question to myself the other day, but it was more along the lines of should we consider it a "holiday". Yeah we are celebrating Veterans and what they do to protect us, but we are also remembering those who died. I think what I decided is it's like Memorial Day. It's not a holiday, but it's a day of reflection and thought.
How is that mutually exclusive with it being a holiday though? Calling a day a "holiday" doesn't have to mean you'll be throwing a party and having fun. A day of somber remembrance and giving thanks is perfectly in keeping with it being a holiday, and is more closely related to the etymology of the word anyway.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 07:13 PM   #18
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
By "liberating", you mean exchanging one tyrannical system for another with the only difference being the newer system is more pro-American. No surprise the American definition of democracy is rule by the rich and powerful in the guise of populism. Can't go wrong there.
It is true that if the locals chose to keep a form of government based on religious factions that is sad. IMO they have a pretty good example to follow in the US.

Break...

I have no idea who iguanna_tonante is, what board or what "conversation" he is referring to. As my screenname remains the same everywhere, it appears that your does not. ST.com? "ID:4 speech"? "hating on Americans"? "blind support of war"?

Break...

There are a few people in this topic who appear to have bitter, bitter lives and have obviously been damaged in their life experience. I can only hope you find peace. As the U.S. Constitution guarantees your Right to rant, you're welcome.
Old November 13 2013, 07:20 PM   #19
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
How is that mutually exclusive with it being a holiday though? Calling a day a "holiday" doesn't have to mean you'll be throwing a party and having fun. A day of somber remembrance and giving thanks is perfectly in keeping with it being a holiday, and is more closely related to the etymology of the word anyway.
I've always thought of "holiday" as a day of celebration, which is something I don't attribute to Memorial Day or Veterans Day. Honestly, I didn't know there was more to the word "Holiday" than that so that's something I'm probably going to rethink.
Old November 13 2013, 07:32 PM   #20
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Yanks wrote: View Post
There are a few people in this topic who appear to have bitter, bitter lives and have obviously been damaged in their life experience. I can only hope you find peace. As the U.S. Constitution guarantees your Right to rant, you're welcome.

Wow, you're like some sort of hybrid analyst/therapist. Possibly the world's first. Now we just have to come up with a catchy portmanteau to describe your field there, Sigmund Fraud.

I'm sure the original intent of Veteran's Day was to have veterans going around presuming or demanding thanks from people, so congratulations on nailing the meaning of the day and expressing it in the least arrogant way possible once again.
Old November 13 2013, 08:54 PM   #21
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I've always thought of "holiday" as a day of celebration, which is something I don't attribute to Memorial Day or Veterans Day. Honestly, I didn't know there was more to the word "Holiday" than that so that's something I'm probably going to rethink.
Well, the word origin is "holy day." It's definitely taken on a more party-like connotation recently, but if you look at, say, some of the traditional holidays on a religious calendar like Hallowmass or Yom Kippur you'll see that it could be either celebration or quiet remembrance. So in that sense Veterans and Memorial Day fit.
Old November 13 2013, 09:35 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It is true that if the locals chose to keep a form of government based on religious factions that is sad. IMO they have a pretty good example to follow in the US.
Our hands are pretty dirty when it comes to pursuing 'freedom'.
Old November 13 2013, 10:20 PM   #23
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Re: This whole conversation: <Charlie Brown>Good grief.</Charlie Brown>

To all that serve or have served to defend our freedoms and are willing to give up everything for that, thank you.
Old November 13 2013, 10:38 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

B.J. wrote: View Post

To all that serve or have served to defend our freedoms and are willing to give up everything for that, thank you.
Old November 13 2013, 11:53 PM   #25
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Preferably more than 2 parties, like here in most mainland European countries...
America could use some more viable ones as well...
Old November 14 2013, 02:07 AM   #26
Yanks
Fleet Captain

I'm sure the original intent of Veteran's Day was to have veterans going around presuming or demanding thanks from people, so congratulations on nailing the meaning of the day and expressing it in the least arrogant way possible once again.
Actually, the purpose of the post was to thank other Veterans.

For everyone that has stepped up to the plate and taken the oath to place an ideal ahead of self interest, I'm honored to be among your ranks. God bless each and every one of you and may this great country remain a testament to your faithful and honorable service. You are all great Americans!

..and my 2nd post.

Wow, no Veterans here?

Not sure how that can be construed as demanding anything from anyone.
B.J. wrote: View Post
Re: This whole conversation: <Charlie Brown>Good grief.</Charlie Brown>

Thank you!

Rincewiend wrote: View Post
Preferably more than 2 parties, like here in most mainland European countries...
America could use some more viable ones as well...
I would agree, the biggest problem is most might as well be from the same party when it comes to spending.
Old November 14 2013, 03:45 AM   #27
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Actually, the purpose of the post was to thank other Veterans.

For everyone that has stepped up to the plate and taken the oath to place an ideal ahead of self interest, I'm honored to be among your ranks. God bless each and every one of you and may this great country remain a testament to your faithful and honorable service. You are all great Americans!

..and my 2nd post.

Wow, no Veterans here?

Not sure how that can be construed as demanding anything from anyone.
Man, you are either as dense as tungsten or being deliberately obtuse to be irritating. I was quite clearly specifically addressing this comment of yours; you know, the one that I quoted in that post?

As the U.S. Constitution guarantees your Right to rant, you're welcome.
If I want to thank you personally, I'll thank you. Don't presume to do it for me. That's arrogant as hell.

I would agree, the biggest problem is most might as well be from the same party when it comes to spending.
Oh, are we going to switch to your Tea Party parroting questionable knowledge of political facts now in addition to your questionable knowledge of history and absurd American exceptionalism?
Old November 14 2013, 04:05 AM   #28
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

What, are you looking for a French "Fuck Yeah!"?
Given that France is our oldest ally and helped us win the Revolutionary War I really have no idea why you singled them out. Hell they gave us the Statue of Liberty which helped save New York City when a haunted painting tried to take over the world. We shouldn't insult the French, but thank them for so much, mainly for their advancements in the art of kissing.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 05:03 AM   #29
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I don't think they even teach that in schools anymore. Now it's probably Washington pushing Cornwallis into the sea with the sheer awesomeness of his personality and making the British sue for unconditional surrender after George III wet himself.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 06:02 AM   #30
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

Re: This entire thread....

Yanks,

I don't know if you're just not getting it, or if you are being deliberately denser than duranium. He's not attacking your motivation, but the attitude that seems to be behind it. You try to boil down very, very, very complex ideas and ideals into one very simple thing, which you define as "fighting against tyranny"

For instance, and just to pick one example, you fail to realize that the reasons behind fighting in WWI, WWII, and Korea are very complex, not just "We're fighting against tyranny". This is kind of like saying "We pay taxes because we have to fund the military". Yes it's a part of it, but compared to the whole picture, it is a very, very small part.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote