Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 13 2013, 02:53 PM   #1591
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
The C-17 Hovers.
The C-17 HOVERS?!!?
That at least explains the extra wing and engines. Need to hold the tail up.

Miss Henstridge reminds me of Keira Knightly in certain angles.
It's not a C-17, it's simply a SHIELD-specific/Marvel craft that looks like a C-17. And it wouldn't need the tail jets to stay stable when hovering since the wing jets would be at or neat the center-of gravity which would keep the plane level when hovering. The tail jets are either back-ups to allow for extended flight times (allowing the main jets to be powered down to cool) or simply another feature added to make The Bus more non-C-17ey.
Cool. And your degree in aeronautics and aircraft design is from what cereal box?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 03:00 PM   #1592
Yanks
Fleet Captain

For someone that has been pretty disappointed with the series so far, I enjoyed the most recent episode.
Old November 13 2013, 03:39 PM   #1593
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
And May isn't Skye's mother, right?
They showed the file on the desk. The mother died but I did think the same thing since both have Chinese ancestry.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 04:08 PM   #1594
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Skye makes this show nearly unwatchable for me. Her death would be greatly appreciated.
Other than her horrific parts of the show I found this episode to very entertaining and well done.
The Sitwell stuff was all a waste but the Hand scenes were solid.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 04:19 PM   #1595
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

I like Skye a lot. It's Ward and May who I just don't give a crap about.
Old November 13 2013, 05:05 PM   #1596
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Guessing Russia is on board with the SHIELD treaty based on this...?

And perhaps, more pertinently, Sakartvelo/Eurasian Georgia as well?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer

Last edited by DEWLine; November 13 2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: clarity re: nations participating in SHIELD business
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 05:49 PM   #1597
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Coulson and the mystery surrounding his recovery is the only think keeping me with the show. I am a bit curious about Skye's past, but its not really worth having her on the show. This episode was really kind of bland. I realized early in the episode that the plot with Ward/geeky guy could literally be the plot to any spy show/movie ever. Just remove the super science threat for something like a nuke or chemical weapons, and its a generic spy story, just with a bit of a personality conflict added between the agents.

The stuff at the hub wasn't anything that couldn't be done in any spy organization, and even the stuff with Hand devolved into "Spy(s) getting screwed over because his superior won't give him the info". Still, more stuff about Coulson and "Tahiti" was interesting, and probably enough to keep me watching. I just wished we could see these Shield agents doing something you cou8ld only do in a world of superheroes. I'm betting that the Thor aftermath episode will give us some of that, but they need to do unique stuff more often and not just be a generic spy show with a thin Marvel paint job to keep me watching the stuff not involving Coulson.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 10:22 PM   #1598
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

her character should be played by a 12 year old boy.

Sticking "all that" in such a hot little package is confusing.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 10:49 PM   #1599
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I noticed the file on the desk had "Agent 10" under the photo. Is that a known Marvel character, or something new? I think I've heard Carter from Captain America referred to as 'Agent 13' or similar.

Nice to finally see the bus hover. I always assumed that was what the extra engines were for.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 11:33 PM   #1600
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Agent Victoria Hand said towards the end, "It's Coulson's team. They don't need an extraction." So does that mean she was not concerned about Coulson's team's welfare, whether Ward and Fitz survived or not, or she just trusted them to complete their mission against all odds? It sounded to me like the latter.
Seeing that she knows Coulson very well she also knows how capable he is and that he would only recruit the best even if on the surface it may not appear so.

So maybe she had confidence that the infiltration team would make it out themselves, maybe she hoped it but in the end she did risk it and it would have been filed under acceptable losses. Was it actually stated that Coulson knew about this part of the mission and being a good, rules following soldier he sent them anyway or was he fooled?

He evaded the question when Skye asked him directly.

Anyway.. really good episode. I'm slowly coming around with Agent Hunk McSquarejaw too and him paired up with Fitz (i'm also slowly getting able to distinguish the siamese scientist twins!) was awesome (especially because Fitz was shown to have some true balls but retained a lot of nerdpower still).

So far the only weak link is Skye.. i just can't stomach her. She's a weak actress and her storyline leaves me stone cold, i just don't care. As someone has said i wouldn't miss her much if she got killed off (maybe we would get a good episode out of it).

May is ten times more interesting and she barely talks at all! (gold scene with her "talk" to Coulson)

I must have missed the Pavlov "Tahiti" reflex this time.. when did he say it?

Overall once again a very solid episode, show is getting good and interesting and i'm happy and looking forward to next week.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 11:46 PM   #1601
sojourner
Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Was it actually stated that Coulson knew about this part of the mission and being a good, rules following soldier he sent them anyway or was he fooled?

He evaded the question when Skye asked him directly.
Based on the way hit lit into Victoria in the following scene, I think it's safe to say he didn't know about the lack of an extraction plan.
Old November 13 2013, 11:50 PM   #1602
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Was Ward Lying? Because he told Fitz that there was an Extraction.

Either he was lying, or he was lied to.

What seems more likely?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 11:54 PM   #1603
Pavonis
Commodore

Well, since Ward tried flashing his light to communicate with an exfiltration team, and was disappointed that no one replied, I'd say he was not told that no one would be coming.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 12:28 AM   #1604
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

I believe Hand knew Coulson would go and extract his team off book.
Old November 14 2013, 01:33 AM   #1605
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
When Coulson came to May after telling Skye about the female SHIELD agent dropping her off, I thought for a moment that we were about to get the revelation that May was Skye's mother. But I guess the agent/possible mother was the corpse in the photo.

I think that, with the appearance of Jasper Sitwell (whose name I keep mixing up with Farley Stillwell, the guy who created the Scorpion), the show has now featured every SHIELD comics character who's appeared in the movies and isn't technically a superhero (like Black Widow or Hawkeye). Plus we get a comics character who hasn't been in the movies, Victoria Hand.
^Almost...they still need a Dum Dum Duggan cameo to complete the set.

As to May's relationship to Skye: I inferred that May was the female SHIELD agent that dropped baby Skye off at the orphanage (or wherever the little tike was deposited) as mentioned in the redacted file. My guess is that Skye's mother was actually May's sister, making her Skye's Aunt May.

Any mention of wheat cakes on the show would have Sony's legal department scouring their Spider-Man licensing agreement for signs of infringement.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote