IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 11 2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Happy Veterans Day!

I posted this on FB. I wanted to share with you folks here too.

"We the people, in order to form a more perfect union…”; the words that preface our Constitution. Over 200 years ago, some very smart and brave men sacrificed everything, many their lives, when they signed a document that separated our country from every other country on Earth. Every Veteran raises his right hand and swears(or affirms) to uphold the unique ideals contained in this very special document. We swore to uphold a principle, a principle of self governance. All citizens of this great country have god given natural rights, not privileges granted from a king or a dictator. Our armed forces have not only protected our shores but have been a force for liberty throughout the world, coming to the aid of oppressed people time and time again. For everyone that has stepped up to the plate and taken the oath to place an ideal ahead of self interest, I'm honored to be among your ranks. God bless each and every one of you and may this great country remain a testament to your faithful and honorable service. You are all great Americans!
Old November 12 2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Re: Happy Veterans Day!

Wow, no Veterans here?
Old November 12 2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Maybe it's because it's more of an international board, Yanks, or people were out doing stuff.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Maybe it's because it's more of an international board, Yanks, or people were out doing stuff.
Old November 13 2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

I'm a U.S. Army vet, but I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and therefore don't get on the site all the time.
Old November 13 2013, 07:26 AM   #6
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Or maybe they were put off by the more naive, jingoistic, and whitewashing elements of his little speech but at the same time didn't want to say anything that could be wrongly construed as being critical of veterans --rather than the policies they are often asked to enforce, which aren't always about handing out puppies and rainbows like the OP suggests-- on a day of remembrance.

There's thanking military vets for their service and remembering those who have died and then there's idolizing them. There's thinking the military is a necessary function that often does some good and then there's naively imagining that everything they do is about spreading freedom and protecting the American people from imminent threats. The OP came off a shade too far to the latter side of both for my tastes, and I imagine it did for some others too.
Old November 13 2013, 07:37 AM   #7
teacock
Admiral

I can't post my true thoughts, the Queen has stymied my freedoms.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 11:46 AM   #8
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Is "Happy Veterans Day" actually appropriate? War veterans have seen some serious shit, I don't think those are very fond memories.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Sigokat wrote: View Post
I'm a U.S. Army vet, but I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and therefore don't get on the site all the time.
The best of luck to you! Keep your head down.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Or maybe they were put off by the more naive, jingoistic, and whitewashing elements of his little speech but at the same time didn't want to say anything that could be wrongly construed as being critical of veterans --rather than the policies they are often asked to enforce, which aren't always about handing out puppies and rainbows like the OP suggests-- on a day of remembrance.

There's thanking military vets for their service and remembering those who have died and then there's idolizing them. There's thinking the military is a necessary function that often does some good and then there's naively imagining that everything they do is about spreading freedom and protecting the American people from imminent threats. The OP came off a shade too far to the latter side of both for my tastes, and I imagine it did for some others too.
The OP suggests no such thing. You seem to misconstrew the policy makers with Veterans. (as most naive people do)

And why should that keep someone from posting?

WWI
WWII
Korea
Vietman
Gulf War I
Iraq
Afghanistan

All liberating folks from tryanny.

...and then the countless times the US Military has been called on to provide aid to countries and people in need. Currently the Phillipines.

I don't see what's wrong with recognizing that.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Is "Happy Veterans Day" actually appropriate? War veterans have seen some serious shit, I don't think those are very fond memories.
You are correct, many of these folks have been put in situations the average citizen can't even imagine. But they did what they were ordered to do and it's most apropriate to thank them.
Old November 13 2013, 03:24 PM   #10
SpookyCat
Captain

Sigokat wrote: View Post
You stay safe now. And a belated happy veteran's day to you.
Old November 13 2013, 03:58 PM   #11
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Yanks wrote: View Post

The OP suggests no such thing. You seem to misconstrew the policy makers with Veterans. (as most naive people do)
Before you call someone naive due to your poor reading comprehension, you might want to make sure they didn't use those precise words in their own very short post. Here, I'll highlight it for you:

I very clearly separated the veterans themselves from the policies (and by extension the policy makers) they are asked to enforce.

And why should that keep someone from posting?
It shouldn't. You're free to post your thread as is, or preferably in a less jingoistic form that just asks to remember those who gave their lives and thanks veterans for their service, which you acknowledged too. It just got clouded a bit by the "America, Fuck Yeah!" message you tacked on, which I was pointing out as a possible explanation for why there weren't more replies when you inquired about that.

WWI
WWII
Korea
Vietman
Gulf War I
Iraq
Afghanistan

Oy vey. That's such an ignorant, simplistic, or flat-out wrong interpretation of events in regard to most of those examples that I don't even know where to begin.

...and then the countless times the US Military has been called on to provide aid to countries and people in need. Currently the Phillipines.

I don't see what's wrong with recognizing that.
That's a great and worthwhile function they provide, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with recognizing that. But as I mentioned, if that had been all you said along with thanking vets for their service and remembering their sacrifice, I wouldn't have said anything. That's one of the "often does good" points that I acknowledged in my post.
Old November 13 2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Before you call someone naive due to your poor reading comprehension, you might want to make sure they didn't use those precise words in their own very short post. Here, I'll highlight it for you:

I very clearly separated the veterans themselves from the policies (and by extension the policy makers) they are asked to enforce.

It shouldn't. You're free to post your thread as is, or preferably in a less jingoistic form that just asks to remember those who gave their lives and thanks veterans for their service, which you acknowledged too. It just got clouded a bit by the "America, Fuck Yeah!" message you tacked on, which I was pointing out as a possible explanation for why there weren't more replies when you inquired about that.
WWI
WWII
Korea
Vietman
Gulf War I
Iraq
Afghanistan

Oy vey. That's such an ignorant, simplistic, or flat-out wrong interpretation of events in regard to most of those examples that I don't even know where to begin.
Shall I quote you?

and then there's naively imagining that everything they do is about spreading freedom and protecting the American people from imminent threats.

You shot the arrow, I just turned it around.

And you'll have a hard time justifying that folks weren't liberated from tranny in all those conflicts. Yes, even in Iraq and Afghanistan.

...and stating that doesn't mean on is niave, it just means this isn't a history class.

Oh yay.

What, are you looking for a French "Fuck Yeah!"?

Maybe you're not from America, I don't know.
Old November 13 2013, 04:55 PM   #13
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Shall I quote you?

and then there's naively imagining that everything they do is about spreading freedom and protecting the American people from imminent threats.

You shot the arrow, I just turned it around.
No, you clearly cannot comprehend basic points. What part of that is not addressing policy?

Yep, I'm from the Huntington Beach, California that's in Uzbekistan.
Old November 13 2013, 05:27 PM   #14
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Pretty much. Last time I commented on Yank's posts about American military engagements, I got told to shut up and thank him (not the veterans, him) because America single-handedly defeated Nazism. So, yeah, I was somehow shy of responding to his little ID:4 speech, especially when it could be construed as hating on American vets.

What, are you looking for a French "Fuck Yeah!"?

Let's see, insulting random countries and implying that anyone who does not share your blind support of war is a dirty furriner (which obviously is intended as an insult by itself). And you wonder why you post didn't receive many replies. But of course, it must be because there are no real Americans here.
Old November 13 2013, 05:29 PM   #15
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Yanks wrote:
And you'll have a hard time justifying that folks weren't liberated from tyranny in all those conflicts. Yes, even in Iraq and Afghanistan.
By "liberating", you mean exchanging one tyrannical system for another with the only difference being the newer system is more pro-American. No surprise the American definition of democracy is rule by the rich and powerful in the guise of populism. Can't go wrong there.
Hound of UIster is online now   Reply With Quote