Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old November 2 2013, 12:16 AM   #31
andriech
Commander

Send a message via AIM to andriech
Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse

jamesmc wrote: View Post
Patty is in Error. There is no such ban form CBS or anyone regarding the Abrams stuff. I think everyone just assumed that because those films were the" it thing" right now not to do something with them, when in reality there is no ban on doing a fan film set in that universe! The only BAN is on making money and you can bet the hammer will fall on the crowd funding stuff very soon. I think J.J. and Bob Orci and those guys would be flattered if someone paid tribute to their stuff! They are very cool guys. I have spoken to CBS legal about several different issues over the years and they have always been very helpful in what to do and what not to do. I am sure they don't draw a distinction between which eras of Trek to do a fan film about!
James Cawley
uh...what? Mallory told us years ago that they would consider it direct competition. And you, yourself, told Star Trek Origins of that so they changed their plans on using the JJverse.

Did they change the rule since then?
Old November 2 2013, 01:25 PM   #32
jamesmc
Lieutenant Commander

No, Mallory did not. At the time there was a lot of hub bub over merchandising and my personal opinion and
recommendation was not to do it. I have all my emails.
jamesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 02:44 PM   #33
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

andriech wrote: View Post
And, personally I think it's damn fair. The reason is simple: they will not allow any direct competition to the franchise's current money maker. They give us so much and ask so little. "Don't take away any of the money we can make from what we own and are making money from now"
Abramstrek is so bad that fan films become competition?

Captain Jed R. wrote: View Post
Curious that this "ban" has become something that comes up even though it doesn't exist.

Having said that: it would be very difficult to do the JJVerse. The CGI isn't a problem, but the sets?
Why, you only have to film in Apple stores and breweries, using IKEA furniture.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 06:04 PM   #34
Maurice
Vice Admiral

No, Mallory did not. At the time there was a lot of hub bub over merchandising and my personal opinion and recommendation was not to do it. I have all my emails.
I can confirm there is such a ban. The head of CBS legal gave it to me personally.
So, did the head of CBS legal do this or not?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 06:35 PM   #35
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

This thread should be used in every discussion of eyewitness testimony in the country. Wow. This wasn't even a quick, high adrenaline event, it was a corporate meeting, and folks can't agree on what happened.

It should also serve as the value of PUTTING AGREEMENTS IN WRITING. It really shows how people can hear things differently. Think you've an agreement to do almost anything involving time and money to be put out in the future? PUT IT IN WRITING AND AGREE ON THE TERMS. I am not going to back-reference some of the fights in this community in recent years, but here's the outcome: PUT IT IN WRITING.

We should all be glad we live in the age of 1001 cameras recording everywhere. I'm confident there will be many fewer innocent people convicted.

And no, I am not saying if James or Patty heard what they thought they heard... or even if something entirely different was stated. I have not a clue!
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 07:17 PM   #36
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

So can we make fanfilms in the JJverse or not?
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 08:30 PM   #37
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Maybe.
Old November 2 2013, 10:15 PM   #38
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Barbreader wrote: View Post
This thread should be used in every discussion of eyewitness testimony in the country. Wow. This wasn't even a quick, high adrenaline event, it was a corporate meeting, and folks can't agree on what happened.
Except I don't think there was such a meeting where both of the posters were involved. At least that's not how it reads.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old November 11 2013, 08:21 PM   #39
Maurice
Vice Admiral

<crickets>

That's the response I expected.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old November 12 2013, 02:19 AM   #40
Tom
Rear Admiral

I would suspect that CBS would hold the same policy towards 'anything' Star Trek, JJ or classic universe. But.. when we delve into JJ's universe we have more company's involved, mainly Paramount (Viacom) and Bad Robot and as such, that can complicate things more on a legal matter in terms of fan usage. Star Trek is unfortunately a complicated property.
Old November 12 2013, 02:22 AM   #41
Tom
Rear Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
So can we make fanfilms in the JJverse or not?
Just call CBS legal to hear it directly from them. They may tell you they don't have a problem with it but Viacom and/or Bad Robot might.
Old November 13 2013, 11:22 AM   #42
andriech
Commander

Send a message via AIM to andriech

Maurice wrote: View Post
<crickets>

Answer to what? From who? Oh, and sorry if real life prevents some people from being here constantly....
Old November 13 2013, 07:10 PM   #43
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

<crickets>

Answer to what? From who?
I'm fairly certain Maurice is referring to this post:

No, Mallory did not. At the time there was a lot of hub bub over merchandising and my personal opinion and recommendation was not to do it. I have all my emails.
I can confirm there is such a ban. The head of CBS legal gave it to me personally.
So, did the head of CBS legal do this or not?
...which has been roundly ignored by everyone from Phase II so far.

Personally, I find it rather disingenuous and highly suspect that such a large miscommunication could actually have existed between you and James (who in this very thread publicly denied your assertion that it was CBS Legal who put any fan film activity tied to the Abrams films continuity was taboo) all this time. Too, you guys at P2 (all of you) could really stand to take some advice when it comes to your PR machine. From James publicly bitching and moaning about the Abrams films on his Facebook page months before they're released while at the same time you go and use mockups of the advertising campaign of those same films to promote Phase II all the way to here on this very board where it takes constant hounding to get the simplest answers out of anyone (see: Vic Mignona's credit on "Kitumba," or this thread here.)

Perhaps if you guys weren't so sensitive about every last minute detail, you might not have as many vultures circling.

Oh, and sorry if real life prevents some people from being here constantly....
I don't know if you meant this to read as snide, but it's awfully hard not to read it that way. Maurice posed his question on October 31. The question went unanswered and he inquired again on November 2. By November 11, two days ago and nearly two weeks after posing the question for the first time, he posted the response you are now having an issue with.

Nobody expects you to read this site constantly, but it's beyond obvious you guys don't like the spotlight when it comes with tough questions because time and again, you just disappear. You put your titles of all the cool things you do for P2 in your signatures, so it's great when there's praise to be had but the minute there's any kind of accountability, any kind of inquiry that might not make you guys look great, WHOOSH! No one can be reached.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 08:31 PM   #44
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The irony of the implied "get a life" from people who make fanfilms is really rather delicious.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old November 13 2013, 10:12 PM   #45
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

The irony of the implied "get a life" from people who make fanfilms is really rather delicious.
She didn't say 'get a life.' She said that she (and I) have lives. And frankly, she asked me privately who that 'crickets' was aimed at, and I told her I thought your attack was aimed at ME. So if it wasn't, you should get an editor. I was the most recent person you had attacked, clearly an activity you feel a need to do. And do again. And again. I had decided I would let you have the last word. My primarily purpose when I come here is to make sure I don't miss fan film releases. Ideally, I also track fan films that are being produced. It does not help the accuracy or completeness of Star Trek Reviewed for me to engage in fights.

Last edited by Barbreader; November 13 2013 at 11:17 PM.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote