New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 13 2013, 01:41 AM   #211
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

I'm surprised people don't the answers to this. I concede that the contracts aren't public records, but these are giant corporations. You would expect the number of people who know these things to be reasonably large and I struggle to see why they would care about keeping it a secret.

That being said, I wonder how wide the gray area is. Crossovers are fairly common in the Marvel Universe, so it can't be that wide. Practically everyone has been an Avenger at some point, so it can't be that wide either (I seriously doubt Wolverine can appear in Avengers). Kingpin prominently straddles two worlds, though, so he's probably one of the most likely characters to be in the gray area.

ETA: Regarding Goddard: I know him from LOST. Even then, it's hard to tell just how much individual input a writer gets in that show - particularly by Fourth Season (he seems to have started in the Third and had his best work in the later years). I like quite a few of his episodes, but, to me, they're more for the trademarked LOST "Oh Shit" moments that aren't necessarily tied to a particular writer (Desmond seeing the future, while written well in the episode, is more memorable because "oh shit, Desmond can see the future?").

However, I'm still optimistic. I wonder how Netflix has handled their shows in the past. In theory, they could have one writer write all 13 episodes since they don't necessarily have deadlines (they have to finish writing and filming before they release it). My guess is that won't be the case, though. However, I could see several teams of writers writing for their respective character at the same time.
Old November 13 2013, 02:21 AM   #212
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Willimon has his name on all but 4 episodes of the first season of House of Cards, but due to the more compressed second season pre-production schedule I don't think he will have done as much writing for it. The episodes are an hour long, so even a few episodes is a pretty big job for anyone but the most prolific of writers, especially if they're also helping run the show.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 02:26 AM   #213
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

While this may not mean anything as far as the movies nare concerned, The Wolverine used "Viper" and the tie-in video game for the first Captain America movie used "Madame Hydra", essentially the same character.
Old November 13 2013, 02:49 AM   #214
Christopher
Writer

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
ETA: Regarding Goddard: I know him from LOST. Even then, it's hard to tell just how much individual input a writer gets in that show - particularly by Fourth Season (he seems to have started in the Third and had his best work in the later years).
If you want a better indicator of what Goddard can do, rent The Cabin in the Woods. In fact, just rent it anyway. It's a hell of a movie.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 03:11 AM   #215
Alidar Jarok

Well, that's a very different genre. I realize LOST isn't quite the same genre, but it's a little closer. Sci-fi action/adventure is closer to superhero action/adventure with some fantasy/sci-fi/crime drama likely mixed in.
Old November 13 2013, 04:54 AM   #216
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Melissa Rosenberg, who was previously attached to the character for a project for ABC that the studio passed on, will be helming the Jessica Jones series.

Carol Danvers was a part of her original pitch to ABC, which gives me hope that we will see her here.
Old November 13 2013, 05:22 AM   #217
Christopher
Writer

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Well, that's a very different genre. I realize LOST isn't quite the same genre, but it's a little closer. Sci-fi action/adventure is closer to superhero action/adventure with some fantasy/sci-fi/crime drama likely mixed in.
Goddard also worked on Buffy and Angel, which were pretty much superhero shows. And on Alias, which was a fantasy action-adventure spy show. He's definitely qualified.

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Melissa Rosenberg, who was previously attached to the character for a project for ABC that the studio passed on, will be helming the Jessica Jones series.

Carol Danvers was a part of her original pitch to ABC, which gives me hope that we will see her here.
Hmm, her credits are a mixed bag. Producer of Dexter, which I never watched and didn't like the idea of. Producer of The O.C. Consulting producer and writer on Birds of Prey, which was a female-led superhero series, but not a particularly good one. Writer of the Twilight movies, though I guess she can't be blamed for the content of the books, and I've seen reviews saying the films improved on or subtly satirized elements of the books.

Old November 13 2013, 05:48 AM   #218
Alidar Jarok

Yeah, it's odd. Dexter is good and there's at least a superhero connection with Birds of Prey (quality aside).
Old November 13 2013, 05:55 AM   #219
JD
Admiral

Pretty excited about Goddard working on Daredevil. He's done a lot of stuff that I've liked over the years.
I wonder if they're using Rosenberg's material from the ABC Family version of AKA Jessica Jones, or if they're having her start from scratch?
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 12:46 AM   #220
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

If you read between the lines of what Neal McDonough says here, it would seem that the 'Agent Carter' project is still a going concern.

He seems excited by the prospect. A Carter/Dugan/Stark-centric SHIELD show with a 40's setting would rock! I have no idea if Dominic Cooper would be available or willing, but it would rock.
Old December 7 2013, 01:24 AM   #221
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

In a confirmation of what we already know, Marvel officially announced Drew Goddard as Daredevil show-runner today.

There is a little new info, as they reveal that Goddard will write and direct the pilot.
Old January 3 2014, 03:00 AM   #222
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Agent Carter would seem to be confirmed. Haley Atwell is on board and "thrilled" to be a part of it.
Old January 3 2014, 03:27 AM   #223
Alidar Jarok

I can't tell if Marvel has a genius plan, they're blinded by ambition, or their goal is to just spam movies and TV shows until the bubble bursts. Either way, it'll be fun to watch and an interesting experiment in crossing between TV and movies (I remember the plan for Dark Tower that fell through that would have tried the same thing).

I couldn't find anything about a network, though. Is this cable, regular television, Netflix? My guess is anything's possible at this point.
Old January 3 2014, 03:52 AM   #224
Christopher
Writer

That was a weird statement in the article that this was the first US starring role for a British actor since Michelle Ryan's Bionic Woman. There have been plenty of British actors on US TV since then, notably Jonny Lee Miller in Elementary and Tom Mison in Sleepy Hollow. Not to mention Hugh Laurie in House, Lena Headey in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Anna Friel in Pushing Daisies, Parminder Nagra in Alcatraz, Marsha Thomason on White Collar, etc. 2009's FlashForward had three UK actors -- Joseph Fiennes, Sonya Walger, and Jack Davenport -- as well as Irish actor Brían F. O'Byrne.

Old January 3 2014, 04:28 AM   #225
JD
Admiral

And there's also Once Upon A Time in Wonderland where 4 of 6 lead actors are English.
There are a ton of English actors on US TV series right now, not to mention all of the shows that have come and gone since The Bionic Woman.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote