RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,637
Posts: 5,427,639
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 507
Newest member: Rom

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?
Yes 85 86.73%
No 13 13.27%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 3 2013, 12:59 PM   #151
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant
 
Captain Jed R.'s Avatar
 
Location: Lala Land.
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

I'd watch. As with everything, if it was good I'd keep watching.

I reject the idea that any series without the Original Series' core characters would automatically fail. Because A) I disagree with the concept that anyone gives enough of a shit outside of fandom to notice, and B) because it did succeed before, and it's been a decade since the last non-Kirk Trek happened and will likely be at least another before it returns. By then, I doubt anyone will care enough to decide not to watch the show return just because it doesn't have Kirk.
__________________
All things are possible. It's just a question of trying.

I have a daughter! That's cooler than anything you can imagine, right now!
Captain Jed R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 02:27 AM   #152
stardogsix
Cadet
 
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

let's just have a jolly old romp through the galaxy on a weekly basis the tv is a very sad place without one. we need trek like a crak head needs a pipe
stardogsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 06:38 PM   #153
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: ˙ɐlnqǝu sıɥʇ uı ʞɔnʇS
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

^I have to agree that tv has never been the same after Trek went off the air.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 08:45 PM   #154
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

Last week I watched Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and then Thor: The Dark World the next day. The difference in scope, scale, everything was unbelievable - S.H.I.E.L.D. felt like a Marvel Universe fan film in comparison. Old Trek movies and episodes were made in a very similar format to the TV shows (hence the "extended episode" feel) but that wouldn't be true today. Unless they made it land-based Academy series or a Eugenics Wars prequel or something along those lines, a new TV series would likely compare very badly to the current movies.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 10:34 PM   #155
Lynx
Rear Admiral
 
Lynx's Avatar
 
Location: Lynx Empire
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

I would watch it as long as it doesn't turn into a doom and gloom series or something like Stargate Universe or screw up established Trek history. It also depends on the characters. Are they as good as the TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager characters, then it will be OK.
__________________
Who'd let that cat in here?

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at a new location soon!
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 10:54 PM   #156
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

Lynx wrote: View Post
I would watch it as long as it doesn't turn into a doom and gloom series or something like Stargate Universe or screw up established Trek history. It also depends on the characters. Are they as good as the TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager characters, then it will be OK.
Agree Lynx.

I don't want my trek to be like BSG.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 03:21 PM   #157
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

Lynx wrote: View Post
I would watch it as long as it doesn't turn into a doom and gloom series.
Agreed. Let Star Trek stay off the air until this current trend stops completely.

I just hope I live long enough to see it.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 11:45 PM   #158
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

I voted "no" because "25th century" is just a meaningless time period, not a premise for a show. As I have said many times, a show is about the format, the characters, and the kinds of stories you're going to tell.
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 02:43 AM   #159
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

Maurice wrote: View Post
I voted "no" because "25th century" is just a meaningless time period, not a premise for a show.
"A meaningless time period" was enough for TNG which originally just had "24th-Century" as its premise.

But the use of "25th-Century" here is just referring to a show that isn't set during the time of previous Trek shows and can have a different status quo, tone, and look from any of them. From there, new situations, stories, and characters can be developed that are unique to its time.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 03:59 AM   #160
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

And just where is the pitch document which said "The new Star Trek is set in the 24th century" full stop? No, the premise of that show was it's a new generation of characters on a new ship many years after Kirk and Co., not "the 24th century".
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 04:01 AM   #161
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

Maurice wrote: View Post
And just where is the pitch document which said "The new Star Trek is set in the 24th century" full stop? No, the premise of that show was it's a new generation of characters on a new ship many years after Kirk and Co., not "the 24th century".
It's no difference whatsoever.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 06:37 AM   #162
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

After that television series by Glen Larson, we should just let Buck Rogers keep the 25th century to himself.
__________________
Curly: If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til you do succeed.
--Movie Maniacs (1936)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 05:21 PM   #163
Ryan8bit
Commodore
 
Ryan8bit's Avatar
 
Location: St. Paul, MN
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
And just where is the pitch document which said "The new Star Trek is set in the 24th century" full stop? No, the premise of that show was it's a new generation of characters on a new ship many years after Kirk and Co., not "the 24th century".
It's no difference whatsoever.
Yeah, and even the OP clarified as much.

But it's really a common sense question. Of course everybody here would actually watch at least an episode of it. The question is if they would keep watching it, and there's no way to know that because the premise isn't enough to give an idea of the quality. It really is too generic of a question.

Maybe if it were rephrased as, "Are you interested in a 25th century series?" then there would be a lot more no votes. I think that's probably what a lot of the no votes currently are for anyways. Or people are more interested in the JJ stuff only or think that this is just another "prime continuity" issue. Is it?
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 12:45 PM   #164
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

I have absolutely no desire to see a 25th Century STAR TREK. This need to keep pushing it into the next century beyond the last TREK is just absurd, to me. Sorry ... I would not watch it.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 02:40 PM   #165
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: ˙ɐlnqǝu sıɥʇ uı ʞɔnʇS
Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

^I was going to say some people would outright not watch it but 2takesfrankes is the other side of the coin on the subject (the last one did, but your current avatar does not take two takes ). I like making polls (enough to have a Modder point it out) just to see what kind of fans are out there. I personally liked the continuing mission, and even though I like NuTrek, I'd prefer another generation skip.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.