Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 11 2013, 09:59 AM   #31
d514
Ensign

Re: DS9 in HD

When TNG S4 came out the remastering of S5 was almost done (read it here somewhere). So when S6 comes out they should be at the end of S7. At that point a decision has to be made about DS9. They don't want the people involved in the TNG remastering to switch to new projects. They had five seasons of TNG to optimize the process. Remastering DS9 starts right after TNG or probably never.

So there should be some information about DS9 around March, I guess...
d514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 11:49 AM   #32
Robert Comsol
Commodore

dub wrote: View Post
Unrelated to the blurays, but these newly created (fan-made) HD DS9 clips posted to youtube make me drool...
While Tobias Richter undoubtedly is a fan of Star Trek, it seems there's more to it because his company The Light Works is the one that provided the CGI footage of the big E-D for the TNG remastering!

The fact that he showcases what he has already created for DS9 in public allows multiple interpretations.

To me it would seem CBS hasn't yet decided (but if they're lacking VFX elements, The Light Works could do the job as illustrated by these demo videos).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 02:03 PM   #33
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I like that first battle video, that looks amazing, but those TheLightWorks shots look awfully artificial.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 02:05 PM   #34
MacLeod
Admiral

One difference however is that DSN used more CGI in it's FX work. And if the scenes have to be re-rendered you can render new scenes just as easily as having to recreate the original(s) which were re-used to save money.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 03:01 PM   #35
trekker670
Fleet Captain

d514 wrote: View Post
When TNG S4 came out the remastering of S5 was almost done (read it here somewhere). So when S6 comes out they should be at the end of S7. At that point a decision has to be made about DS9. They don't want the people involved in the TNG remastering to switch to new projects. They had five seasons of TNG to optimize the process. Remastering DS9 starts right after TNG or probably never.

So there should be some information about DS9 around March, I guess...
The pace of S6 and S7 will be a little slower that S3-S5. CBS wanted to release 3 season in 2013, but they only need to do 2 in 2014, so they have more time. Also, S5-S7 are all being handled by CBS-D, rather than outsourcing as was done in S2 and S4.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Unrelated to the blurays, but these newly created (fan-made) HD DS9 clips posted to youtube make me drool...
While Tobias Richter undoubtedly is a fan of Star Trek, it seems there's more to it because his company The Light Works is the one that provided the CGI footage of the big E-D for the TNG remastering!
That's not quite true. While Tobias did create the original model, the actual CG rendering is done by the team at CBS-D (TrekCore made this pretty clear in their review of S5), and CBS-D ended up overhauling his model as well. Tobias has been doing these outstanding CG models for years and while they're very well done, I don't this we can assume or extrapolate anything about future CBS-D projects. I may be wrong, but my impression is he was more of a contractor; they bought his original CG model, but he's not really working on the inside.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 03:06 PM   #36
dub
Fleet Captain

Thanks for clarifying, Bob! I should have said I have no idea who they are instead of saying "fan-made." That's good to know. And now that you mention it, it does seem like I read that here before.

EDIT: I just read trekker's post. I suppose I just should have said " I have no idea why these videos were made or who made them, but here ya go!"
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 03:42 AM   #37
SpHeRe31459
Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
The pace of S6 and S7 will be a little slower that S3-S5. CBS wanted to release 3 season in 2013, but they only need to do 2 in 2014, so they have more time. Also, S5-S7 are all being handled by CBS-D, rather than outsourcing as was done in S2 and S4.
I said something similar a while back and was quickly corrected by FrontierTrek (TrekCore), he said that their schedule is just as tight for the last two seasons, even though theoretically they'd have more time, CBS wants to stick to the same release schedule as previous years. So we'll likely see S6 in early 2014 (February-ish) and then S7 in mid 2014 (June/July-ish).
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 03:55 AM   #38
trekker670
Fleet Captain

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
I said something similar a while back and was quickly corrected by FrontierTrek (TrekCore), he said that their schedule is just as tight for the last two seasons, even though theoretically they'd have more time, CBS wants to stick to the same release schedule as previous years. So we'll likely see S6 in early 2014 (February-ish) and then S7 in mid 2014 (June/July-ish).
See, I could have sworn I read the opposite, either by a post FrontierTrek made or an article on TrekCore. I could very well be wrong though.

My guess would be late February or March for S6 and then July/August for S7, any hopefully DS9 S1 for Christmas 2014
Old November 12 2013, 01:16 PM   #39
Robert Comsol
Commodore

That's not quite true. While Tobias did create the original model, the actual CG rendering is done by the team at CBS-D.
Tobias has been using the finished CG renderings of the big E-D for the portfolio of his company and I'm confident he'd be giving credit where credit is due. I also do not recall any CBS-D statements from the early season(s) that his model required additional fine tuning. IIRC the (partially CGI) saucer separation from BoBW is the still the same as the one from the pilot episode.

(TrekCore made this pretty clear in their review of S5), and CBS-D ended up overhauling his model as well.
That's a different story (and a different - - model?).

Tobias has been doing these outstanding CG models for years and while they're very well done, I don't this we can assume or extrapolate anything about future CBS-D projects. I may be wrong, but my impression is he was more of a contractor; they bought his original CG model, but he's not really working on the inside.
It seems that CBS-D has not yet chosen a contractor for the DS9 VFX (Tobias would have probably heard). I believe that's the reason why Tobias has showcased what could be done (if The Light Works were hired again).

I don't know at what point in time such a decision would have to be made, but apparently it hasn't been made, yet.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 02:52 PM   #40
trekker670
Fleet Captain

That's not quite true. While Tobias did create the original model, the actual CG rendering is done by the team at CBS-D.
Tobias has been using the finished CG renderings of the big E-D for the portfolio of his company and I'm confident he'd be giving credit where credit is due. I also do not recall any CBS-D statements from the early season(s) that his model required additional fine tuning. IIRC the (partially CGI) saucer separation from BoBW is the still the same as the one from the pilot episode.
I'm saying the model was originally created by The Light Works years ago, then TLW improved the model to be more accurate to the 6-foot model a few years ago (he even detailed its creation long before the TNG-R project was announced, alluding to it being a commissioned project).

To quote TLW website directly:

TheLightWorks.com wrote:
We provided CBS Digital with a High-Res model of the USS Enterprise as well as a couple other models...
My point here is not to take credit away from TLW, they did an outstanding job on the model. Much better than I could ever hope to do. I simply wanted to clarify that they provided the digital model, but they are not rendering any of the VFX themselves, that's being done by CBS-D.

(TrekCore made this pretty clear in their review of S5), and CBS-D ended up overhauling his model as well.
That's a different story (and a different - - model?).
It's not a different model, it's simply been enhanced. Here's the exact excerpt from the TrekCore review:

TrekCore wrote:
To re-create the magnificent hull-scraping shot in "Unification", CBS Digital first set to work retooling their CG model
It's been alluded to that they're going to have an article dedicated just to the CG improvements as well!

It's the same model that's been re-worked to bring out the best in both the 6- and 4-foot studio models and be detailed enough to allow for close up shots. The updated model blows the one from the first few seasons out of the water, IMO.

Tobias has been doing these outstanding CG models for years and while they're very well done, I don't this we can assume or extrapolate anything about future CBS-D projects. I may be wrong, but my impression is he was more of a contractor; they bought his original CG model, but he's not really working on the inside.
It seems that CBS-D has not yet chosen a contractor for the DS9 VFX (Tobias would have probably heard). I believe that's the reason why Tobias has showcased what could be done (if The Light Works were hired again).

I don't know at what point in time such a decision would have to be made, but apparently it hasn't been made, yet.

Bob
Again, The Light Works was not contracted to do the VFX, they simply supplied a few of the (very well done) digital models. I think it would be great if TLW were able to provide their models for DS9 as well, as what I've seen they're outstanding yet again.
Old November 14 2013, 06:23 PM   #41
LtChange
Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I like that first battle video, that looks amazing, but those TheLightWorks shots look awfully artificial.
Do not forget that those are first renders. If they want to use them in a HD version they have to put there some effects to look like a filmed scene, they won't use the raw first renders. In a raw way, as first renders, they look astonishing. Add to them some more light manipulation and some graining and they could look amazing.
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote