New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 11 2013, 04:02 PM   #76
Grant
Fleet Captain

Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

borgboy wrote: View Post
The lack of DE versions is why I have yet to re-buy the TOS movies on blu ray yet.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 04:34 PM   #77
Warped9
Admiral

The lack of DE versions is why I have yet to re-buy the TOS movies on blu ray yet.
Yep, I have the TMP and TWOK on DVD, but I'd pick them up if released on BluRay.
Old November 11 2013, 09:37 PM   #78
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm much happier with the theatrical cuts. Never was much of a "DE" man. Usually scenes are cut for a good reason.
Old November 11 2013, 11:57 PM   #79
Grant
Fleet Captain

I guess it's better for Paramount to only have one version of each on Blu so they don't have to bother with sales from folks who like the Director's cuts or the TMP 'Longer Edition'.

I am glad the DVDs of 2 and 6 were pretty good transfers---so I don't mind too much.

But the fans of the TMP SLV are screwed because that version isn't even available on regular DVD.
Old November 12 2013, 12:25 AM   #80
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Grant wrote: View Post
But the fans of the TMP SLV are screwed because that version isn't even available on regular DVD.
^^^ and how!
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:53 AM   #81
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Personally, I'm happy to see the theatrical versions on Blu-Ray.

The DE would be nice if they could re-do the work to match it, and may be the SLV as a bonus, but that SLV is such a clunky cut, with unfinished shots etc., that I would not revisit it as anything more than a curiosity.

The DE is Wise's definitive version, while the theatrical version is what was presented historically.

For me, that tells me that these 2 versions should have top billing on Blu.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 01:21 AM   #82
MakeshiftPython
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm much happier with the theatrical cuts. Never was much of a "DE" man. Usually scenes are cut for a good reason.
In the case of TMP, it's kind of baffling that they'd cut out something like this.

The theatrical release may be the theatrical release, but in the end the DE is a needed polish the film should have gotten in the first place. Kind of like how the 1998 cut of TOUCH OF EVIL should have been the theatrical release, it just works better, no matter if it was the theatrical cut or not. In the end, like that film, I'd like to see all versions available in one package rather than separated as TMP currently is. At least give viewers a choice.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 01:37 AM   #83
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post

The theatrical release may be the theatrical release, but in the end the DE is a needed polish the film should have gotten in the first place. Kind of like how the 1998 cut of TOUCH OF EVIL should have been the theatrical release, it just works better, no matter if it was the theatrical cut or not. In the end, like that film, I'd like to see all versions available in one package rather than separated as TMP currently is. At least give viewers a choice.
I don't think I was ever more disappointed in a Star Trek product than I was with the directors edition of TMP.

I like the theatrical version.
Old November 12 2013, 02:14 AM   #84
Warped9
Admiral

I just can't watch the theatrical version anymore. And thankfully I never have to again.
Old November 12 2013, 04:31 AM   #85
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Kirk: Not for us?
Spock: No, Captain, not for us. For the fans who cannot get the Director's Edition on blu-ray!
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 04:50 AM   #86
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I did break down and buy an affordable used copy of the blu ray box set of the original series movies. Damnit. I'll still keep my director cut DVDs and watch III thru VI on blu ray. A little mad at myself for giving in. I've bought these movies on vhs, DVD, and now blu ray, and if they put the director's cuts on blu ray, I'll buy them a fourth time.
Old November 12 2013, 04:52 PM   #87
Jeyl
Commodore

But the DE cut scenes of it's own, some for very good reasons as well.
"Oh my god."
And I like some of the added scenes!
"He insisted we go first sir. Said something about first seeing how it scrambled our molecules."
"That's a familiar ring, isn't it?"
By far the best alteration I've ever experienced in seeing an alternate version of a film is this elimination,
INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT!

EMERGENCY ALERT! NEGATIVE CONTROL AT HELM! EMERGENCY ALERT! NEGATIVE CONTROL AT HELM! EMERGENCY ALERT! NEGATIVE CONTROL AT HELM! EMERGENCY ALERT! NEGATIVE CONTROL AT HELM!
And the computer voice over that wasn't eliminated was redone with an actress. The Enterprise is a lady, and deserves a lady's voice.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 05:48 PM   #88
Grant
Fleet Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I just can't watch the theatrical version anymore. And thankfully I never have to again.
I 100% agree. It was like during the rush to edit the movie in 1979---every time they had a scene with any character insight or took a second to pause to address the actual characters---they said, "Cut that out--we need more FX."

Any version of TMP that does NOT contain the part where Spock cries and finally comes to term with "Logic and emotions are not enough."...........is my last place version.

For god's sake Nimoy changed his portrayal of the character from that point on based on that revelation.

Yep the SLV is clunky and poorly edited, but at least it contains the CHARACTERS.

"A crew of a thousand ten miles tall."
"We all create god in our own image."
"I am now discussing the subject of command fitness!"
"Scotty, Be prepared to execute order 2001."

It wasn't a lot of our beloved characters, but it was something---the theatrical has none of them.

Best of all.......

Kirk-----"Tears, Spock? Not for us."
Spock--"No captain, not for us."

They were all about to die and Spock is finding pity for Vejur because it had all the knowledge of the galaxy but didn't have a clue about love, friendship, compassion, loyalty---all the things that Spock had tried to bury his whole life, but realized when confronted with Vejur's pure logic---that was clearly not all that was needed to be truly "human".

They were afraid Spock would be swayed by an adversary that contained all the logic and knowledge of the universe, but instead it did the exact opposite.

Yeah, I'll take that over 3 1/2 extra minutes of "Cloud journey" and "Vejur flyover"
Old November 12 2013, 06:01 PM   #89
Grant
Fleet Captain

I did break down and buy an affordable used copy of the blu ray box set of the original series movies. Damnit. I'll still keep my director cut DVDs and watch III thru VI on blu ray. A little mad at myself for giving in. I've bought these movies on vhs, DVD, and now blu ray, and if they put the director's cuts on blu ray, I'll buy them a fourth time.
As will I--except for me its 3 times on VHS, twice on laserdisc, 2 times on DVD (actually 3 cause a burglar stole my DVDs in 2002 and I had to repurchase) And the "1 version only" movies on Blu-ray (3, 4 and 5)
Old November 12 2013, 06:08 PM   #90
Grant
Fleet Captain

Jeyl wrote: View Post
But the DE cut scenes of it's own, some for very good reasons as well.
"Oh my god."
And I like some of the added scenes!
"He insisted we go first sir. Said something about first seeing how it scrambled our molecules."
"That's a familiar ring, isn't it?"
By far the best alteration I've ever experienced in seeing an alternate version of a film is this elimination,
INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT!

EMERGENCY ALERT! NEGATIVE CONTROL AT HELM! EMERGENCY ALERT! NEGATIVE CONTROL AT HELM! EMERGENCY ALERT! NEGATIVE CONTROL AT HELM! EMERGENCY ALERT! NEGATIVE CONTROL AT HELM!
And the computer voice over that wasn't eliminated was redone with an actress. The Enterprise is a lady, and deserves a lady's voice.
Yeah, I never understood that---the 'refit' changed the computer voice to a male that sounded even MORE artificial than the previous voice??
So in the 23rd century they still can't make a computer voice any more realistic the Stephen Hawking-esque sounding thing? Maybe it was a tribute to him! LOL.