RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,715
Posts: 5,214,487
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 742
Newest member: dmhp32


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 11 2013, 06:57 PM   #166
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

dansigal wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
You can pay for cable with money orders, which you can get with cash at almost any grocery store of sufficient size or places like wal-mart. Once cable is set up, any TV in your house can access it easily (assuming its not a log cabin or isn't a decades old house that hasn't been updated since the 60s). You can have a 30 year old TV that you bought for $5 at a garage sale and it will almost certainly be able to use cable. You don't even need a remote control, you can manually switch between channels. Its very different from netflix, and is much more convenient and cheaper when it comes to equipment you need.

As for DVDs, its like I said. Why should I assume that shows distributed digitally first are made by people that don't hate physical media? People who really like digital stuff do tend to dislike/dismiss physical media.
You can pay for internet access and Netflix with a debit card (and you can do it for significantly cheaper than cable), which you can get linked to any checking account. So essentially your argument has boiled down to "Netflix isn't inclusive enough because it doesnt' cater to be people who don't use banks." There isn't a single argument that you're making that couldn't have been made by people by 30 years ago who only had standard television channels and didn't want to have to pay to watch original programming on cable.

It's also a massive generalization, entirely baseless, and pretty insulting to say that just because someone likes digital media, they most likely don't like physical media.
Its just an observation i've made. People with Ipods seem to hate CD's. People with kindles are dismissive of book readers. Digital people, a lot of the time, act like people who prefer physical media are cavemen and that their digital way of doing things is the best way. Obviously not everone is that way, in fact probably the majority aren't, but there are a lot of people like that.

Also, just checking online, many sites say that millions of people in the US don't have any kind of bank account, much less a checking account. I know my parents haven't used checks in years. Besides, its not just the fact that its extremely difficult to actually give Netflix your money. Its also that you have to invest a lot of money to be able to watch Netflix on anything but your computer. The whole service is, at best, super inconvenient if you're not already one of the super connected people who have a million things connected to the internet already. My family has a PS3, which is mine and my brothers and won't be used for any kind of viewing, and a computer that has to be shared by all four of us. Cable works fine in this situation and is far superior, for us, then netflix is or will ever be, even if we could pay for it.

I'm not trying to say my family isn't in the minority on this, but its a big minority. Anyway, I can't find concrete numbers, but I doubt Netflix is used by even 20% of the country. I think cable users still outnumber netflix users, and probably will for sometime. Which makes it weirder for me that Marvel isn't trying to use the media with the bigger audience.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 07:13 PM   #167
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

As long as we're discussing Netflix streaming, I have a technical question: Is there a way to adjust the settings to turn off the thing that automatically shrinks the picture at the start of the end credits? That's really annoying.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 07:16 PM   #168
dansigal
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

That's all completely fair and a much more reasonable point then you were initially making. Netflix doesn't work for you, and there are lots of other people that Netflix doesn't work for either. I get that, and it stinks for people who want to watch these shows but aren't in a position to. But my overall point is, that's no different then many people who can't afford to pay for premium cable channels or just cable at all. You wouldn't make an argument that shows shouldn't be on cable for this reason. In fact, there are a growing amount of people who are financially strapped and choose to prioritize internet over cable, and for those people, Netflix is a cheaper option and they will actually be better served by this decision. You can't please everyone all the time, and that's just the way of the world.

My overall point here is had your reaction been more akin to "this stinks for me because I'd want to watch this and I can't because of my situation" rather than a rant against Marvel, Netflix and definitive statements like Netflix will never be able to do quality programming or the people who made this decision must be stupid or hate traditional media, then I think you would have gotten more people who agree with you and it would have facilitated some more productive discussion
dansigal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 07:21 PM   #169
Admiral James Kirk
Writer
 
Admiral James Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Anyway, I can't find concrete numbers, but I doubt Netflix is used by even 20% of the country.
According to Nielsen.com 38% of the people in the United States use Netflix. That was of 9/18/13 so it's entirely possible that number has increased since then.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 07:24 PM   #170
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Christopher wrote: View Post
As long as we're discussing Netflix streaming, I have a technical question: Is there a way to adjust the settings to turn off the thing that automatically shrinks the picture at the start of the end credits? That's really annoying.
I second this question.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 07:37 PM   #171
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

dansigal wrote: View Post
That's all completely fair and a much more reasonable point then you were initially making. Netflix doesn't work for you, and there are lots of other people that Netflix doesn't work for either. I get that, and it stinks for people who want to watch these shows but aren't in a position to. But my overall point is, that's no different then many people who can't afford to pay for premium cable channels or just cable at all. You wouldn't make an argument that shows shouldn't be on cable for this reason. In fact, there are a growing amount of people who are financially strapped and choose to prioritize internet over cable, and for those people, Netflix is a cheaper option and they will actually be better served by this decision. You can't please everyone all the time, and that's just the way of the world.

My overall point here is had your reaction been more akin to "this stinks for me because I'd want to watch this and I can't because of my situation" rather than a rant against Marvel, Netflix and definitive statements like Netflix will never be able to do quality programming or the people who made this decision must be stupid or hate traditional media, then I think you would have gotten more people who agree with you and it would have facilitated some more productive discussion
I get what your saying. Honestly, I do truly believe that this decision was made by people that hate TV/physical media, and I do think the chances of people without netflix ever seeing the shows are 50/50 at best. It is probably Disney/Marvel's decision, not something netflix decides, but it seems like something people in charge would do because, traditionally, those people are fairly stupid. I get why people like netflix, and why its popular. Like i've said, if it wasn't so inconvenient to try to use and borderline impossible for people like my family to pay for, I'd love to have it.

But, I do think its a jerk thing to do and that TV would still be the better place for Marvel live action products. I also still say that I want something to happen to prove to Marvel that TV is the way to go with the shows, and that I think the quality of these shows is probably not going to be very high. I won't be sad if they fail and stop the Marvel netflix stuff, but if they do happen to be good, all I can do is hope for some DVDs. I do want shows with Daredevil, Luke cage, etc to be done well and work, but I don't want the netflix shows to set a precedent and make it so Marvel characters are never tried on TV. So, I'm really of two minds about it. On the one hand, I want awesome shows about characters I enjoy. In the other hand, if it makes it so that Marvel doesn't try anyone else on real tV, I'm not a fan. As much as I would legitimately enjoy Luke cage, Iron First, Daredevil and even Jessica Jones shows, if it stops Marvel from trying to make real TV shows, it just might not be worth it from my perspective.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 09:12 PM   #172
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

"hate", you keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 09:50 PM   #173
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

I wouldn't be thrilled if it was only available on Hulu or Amazon or some other service I don't currently subscribe but I wouldn't say it was a "jerk move" or not "real TV". Why not just say "I wish it was available on a source I have" or something to that effect.

House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are coming to DVD, I would imagine it's
very likely this will as well.

Christopher wrote: View Post
As long as we're discussing Netflix streaming, I have a technical question: Is there a way to adjust the settings to turn off the thing that automatically shrinks the picture at the start of the end credits? That's really annoying.
I know you can cancel it but I don't think you can prevent it. Ideally they could add that as an account setting.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 09:58 PM   #174
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are coming to DVD, I would imagine it's
very likely this will as well.
I'm going to go out on a limb and call it an absolute certainty. DVD and Blu-Rays are too integral a part of the current studio business model to even consider otherwise. Even if the shows flop, video sales are a way to re-coup losses, and I doubt highly that these shows will flop. Dunno if they'll be ratings blockbusters, but they won't flop.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 10:44 PM   #175
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

^Right. Like I said before, most shows don't make a profit in their first run on television -- they earn it back over the following years in home-video release, or in syndication back in the old days. This is nothing new.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 10:47 PM   #176
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
True, they aren't the names that pop in my head when I think "Defenders":

My Defenders
  1. Dr. Strange- Slated for a solo film, IIRC
  2. Sub-Mariner-Ditto
  3. Hulk-Tied to the Avengers feature
  4. Silver Surfer-Part the FF licence
  5. Nighthawk- C lister, but why not?
  6. Valkyrie-Might be a good tie in to the Thor films
I know right?
Look, as many variations of the name that have existed there are a lot characters that were honorary Defenders for an arc or what have you. Which is where DD falls, he's been an honorary Avenger as well. Heck Luke Cage has been more Avenger than anything the last decade but people who know comics(which is participants in this discussion) have to admit that "honorary" aside the Defenders association isn't even the first or second team group you think of.

Heroes for Hire
Avengers

Those two are.
I will say that The Defenders is a more noble-sounding name than Heroes for Hire. Heroes for Hire, at best, sounds like Jim Rockford asking for his fee up front and, at worst, a strictly mercenary organization that won't save people without money. The Defenders sounds more like they're doing it out of a sense of obligation. The only problem I have with the name is that it sounds too much like the Avengers.
That's true enough, can't argue against that logic and it my indeed be partially why.
Which on the flip side to your "problem" with the name is also a reason they may see it as a pro quite possibly. A linking by potential viewers of Avengers to Defenders, on paper, sounds like a good call.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 11:34 PM   #177
cylkoth
Commodore
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Christopher wrote: View Post
As long as we're discussing Netflix streaming, I have a technical question: Is there a way to adjust the settings to turn off the thing that automatically shrinks the picture at the start of the end credits? That's really annoying.
Sadly, there is no way to turn that off. It bugs the heck out of me as well, as I don't like having the end credits cut off-some movies have end credit content, plus the cast credits can sometimes not be readable...and for tv shows, the auto play next episode, I'm not always interested in having the next episode play immediately.

You have to manually arrow up to the video window and press Enter to have the credits play full screen. Then try and rewind-but if you go back too far, the picture gets shrunk back into the box again...Many have complained, but thus far, they've shown no interest in tweaking this to make it an option that can be switched on or off.
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Honestly, I do truly believe that this decision was made by people that hate TV/physical media, and I do think the chances of people without netflix ever seeing the shows are 50/50 at best. It is probably Disney/Marvel's decision, not something netflix decides, but it seems like something people in charge would do because, traditionally, those people are fairly stupid.
Your statements continue to confuse. What we're all trying to understand is why do you feel this way after being shown that dvd release of pay tv programming is standard practice and has been for years.
Are you getting hung up on the streaming aspect of Netflix' delivery, vs ordinary cable? Many people do. Netflix' Streaming service, is simply put, a pay television service no different than HBO or Showtime...with the only difference is that Netflix does not program a schedule. Other than that, it acquires content, and operates in exactly the same way as a cable based pay service.

I get why people like netflix, and why its popular. Like i've said, if it wasn't so inconvenient to try to use and borderline impossible for people like my family to pay for, I'd love to have it.
It seems the more we try to show you that it isn't inconvenient or complicated to obtain, the more you convince yourself that it is and impossible for you to have...If you can buy a money order to pay a bill, you can buy a prepaid debit card (basically a plastic re-loadable money order) to pay an online bill. Easy peasy...

But, I do think its a jerk thing to do and that TV would still be the better place for Marvel live action products. I also still say that I want something to happen to prove to Marvel that TV is the way to go with the shows, and that I think the quality of these shows is probably not going to be very high. I won't be sad if they fail and stop the Marvel netflix stuff, but if they do happen to be good, all I can do is hope for some DVDs. I do want shows with Daredevil, Luke cage, etc to be done well and work, but I don't want the netflix shows to set a precedent and make it so Marvel characters are never tried on TV.
Was it a jerk move for MGM to sell Stargate SG1 to Showtime, where is ran for 5 years on a season exclusive basis, beyond the reach of non SHO subscribers, who had to wait a year to see the past season sold into syndication to local tv stations? And it didn't run in every city in the country, so those who lived in area where no station bought it, missed out until the dvds were released. Did that derail the production of other series, or discourage others from being made?
Just honestly trying to figure out where this all comes from, and try and help you see that there's nothing to fear or worry yourself over.
__________________
Have spacesuit...will travel.
cylkoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:43 AM   #178
HaplessCrewman
Commander
 
HaplessCrewman's Avatar
 
Location: Office of Scientific Intelligence
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Christopher wrote: View Post
As long as we're discussing Netflix streaming, I have a technical question: Is there a way to adjust the settings to turn off the thing that automatically shrinks the picture at the start of the end credits? That's really annoying.
What really annoys me is not that the picture shrinks or that the next episode starts but that the opening credits for the next episode are omitted!

This happened while I was watching the 1960's Mission: Impossible TV series. Does anyone else notice this?
__________________
Better than he was before. Better...stronger...faster.
HaplessCrewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:49 AM   #179
cylkoth
Commodore
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

^ Yes...shows without an opening teaser, go straight to the first act. If there is a teaser, and a ''previously on'' recap, the recap is also by passed and it starts directly with the teaser. I hate it.
__________________
Have spacesuit...will travel.
cylkoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:50 AM   #180
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

I've noticed it happening on some titles. On others, it doesn't seem to happen. No idea why it's so inconsistent.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
marvel cinematic universe

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.