Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 10 2013, 05:41 PM   #61
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Time changed... When will it end.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I don't think a single, global time standard would work. There will always be time zones. It's the concept of DST that isn't needed anymore.
Yep.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 01:57 AM   #62
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Data isn't going far enough.

No dst, no timezones.

One clock globally.

Fuck the sun.
I've called for a singular global time in the past. I like the idea, but it didn't fly in here.
If the human body won't ever adjust to DST I doubt it would ever adjust waking up at 1am to go to work everyday.
Old November 11 2013, 02:26 AM   #63
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I'd prefer it if DST lasted the whole year or if it was used in the winther months instead. Where I live it gets dark quite early in that time and the shift is indeed noticeable as suddenly it get's dark an hour earlier, at 5 pm, which is cutting all outdoor activities short - especially if you also like to enjoy some night life on the weekend.
You end up getting up in the dark, anyway, at least if you have to be somewhere at 8. And then, you're inside (unless you work an outdoor job) and don't have any benefits from the sunlight - which will be gone once you leave work.

The alternative, of course, is to move to a place where winters are less dark and depressing.
Old November 11 2013, 05:02 AM   #64
RoJoHen
Awesome

Squiggy wrote: View Post

No dst, no timezones.

One clock globally.

Fuck the sun.
I've called for a singular global time in the past. I like the idea, but it didn't fly in here.
If the human body won't ever adjust to DST I doubt it would ever adjust waking up at 1am to go to work everyday.
Well, maybe current humans wouldn't adjust. But future generations would probably be just fine.
Old November 11 2013, 05:11 AM   #65
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Considering that most of the U.S. is now on Daylight Saving Time for nearly two-thirds of the year, maybe it would make more sense to simply have DST all year round. But then children would be waking up and going to school in the dark.

Aaaah, screw the children.
I live in Massachusetts.

The children get out of school between 2:45 and 3:10 depending on what grade group they are in (K-1, 2-3, 4-5) and the bus doesn't drop them off until 3:45-4.

It will be getting dark at that time within a few weeks. It's already darker when they get home than when they leave for school.

And once again, screw the children!
Old November 11 2013, 12:31 PM   #66
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

The alternative, of course, is to move to a place where winters are less dark and depressing.
I'm pretty confident about dark and depressing in ND. Took the puppy out half an hour ago and I'm still frigid. -30 is gonna be fun.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 02:22 PM   #67
Data Holmes
Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
I call bullshit on that.
Hmm, in this post I'm missing evidence for the "gentleman" bit in your sig. Just because you disagree you needn't be rude.
It's not a matter of disagreeing, it's a matter of lying. Disagreament means that both parts hold a reasonable position. Two months to deal with 1-hour shift? That doesn't pass the smell test. So I reserve my consideration for people who do not make stuff up to argue their point.
Except that scientific study has concluded that the human body never adjusts to The DST/ST shift...

No dst, no timezones.

One clock globally.

Fuck the sun.
it's a just a number on a clock. It won't change the "time" the sun comes up, or you goto work, or anything else you do now. It just means the number is different.

Are you colder when it's 0 degrees C instead of 32 degrees F? Are you going faster at 80kph than at 50mph? Do you drink more water if you consume 3.79L instead of 1gallon?
Old November 11 2013, 07:29 PM   #68
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Pingfah wrote: View Post
The UK should stay on BST for the winter and go BST+1 in the summer. Who the hell wants sunlight at 4am? I'd rather have it at 11pm!
Move to Alaska!
Old November 11 2013, 07:42 PM   #69
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The UK should stay on BST for the winter and go BST+1 in the summer. Who the hell wants sunlight at 4am? I'd rather have it at 11pm!
Move to Alaska!
I lived in Alaska, during the summer it is fun to have sun light almost all day long. However then you pay for it, during the winter when the sun barely comes above the horizon for few hours.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 08:38 PM   #70
MacLeod
Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Hmm, in this post I'm missing evidence for the "gentleman" bit in your sig. Just because you disagree you needn't be rude.
It's not a matter of disagreeing, it's a matter of lying. Disagreament means that both parts hold a reasonable position. Two months to deal with 1-hour shift? That doesn't pass the smell test. So I reserve my consideration for people who do not make stuff up to argue their point.
Except that scientific study has concluded that the human body never adjusts to The DST/ST shift...

it's a just a number on a clock. It won't change the "time" the sun comes up, or you goto work, or anything else you do now. It just means the number is different.

Are you colder when it's 0 degrees C instead of 32 degrees F? Are you going faster at 80kph than at 50mph? Do you drink more water if you consume 3.79L instead of 1gallon?
For the latter I'd say less at 3.79L as 1 gallon (imperial) is equal to approx 4.55 Litres.

But I suspect you meant US liquid gallon, but there is also the US dry gallon which is approx 4.4L.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 08:52 PM   #71
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Move to Alaska!
I lived in Alaska, during the summer it is fun to have sun light almost all day long. However then you pay for it, during the winter when the sun barely comes above the horizon for few hours.
So did I, and that was the joke, so thanks for ruining it!
Old November 11 2013, 09:51 PM   #72
MacLeod
Admiral

No dst, no timezones.

One clock globally.

Fuck the sun.
Yet some people manage to do that. In today's 24/7 world there are people that work during the night and sleep through daytime.

In some respects adjusting to waking at 01:00 is easier than being on a shift pattern where your sleep hours might vary.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 10:49 PM   #73
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Actually, one research group argued that. If you bothered to read your own link, you'd have found that in the same article another team argued it's not different from having artificial lighting, since it makes it possible to stay up after sunset, and another one claimed it's irrelevant if it disrupt the sleep/wake pattern, because whatever we do, the body adjusts to it.

If you want to try and use "but... science!" to support your position... try again.

Last edited by iguana_tonante; November 11 2013 at 11:03 PM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:51 PM   #74
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

So, the clocks just "rolled back" and I have to ask when the pratice of daylight savings will be put to rest. I've always hated it, and been opposed to it since grade school.

We live in a 24hr modern world. Powered by on tap electricity, tv, the Internet, and legally addictive stimulants. We have no purpos to this long outdated and pointless pratice. Let's just be done with it already.

End rant.
I agree. I've never understood why we do everything an hour earlier sometimes. It's stupid and disruptive.

One day I would like to formulate a system to absorb the time shift without it affecting my sleeping or eating habits. It can be done, I just have to sit down and work it out.
Old November 12 2013, 09:17 PM   #75
Pavonis
Commodore

You know, maybe it's just me, but all my clocks set themselves, so I don't even really notice the time change (save that the sun sets earlier now). In fact, the transition this year was so smooth that it took me most of the day to realize it had happened. So what is the problem with the rest of you? Trouble sleeping because of an hour time difference? Biorhythms out-of-whack because of a change in sunlight? What's the deal with the hate?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote