Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 10 2013, 07:25 PM   #16
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Re: NEW DAY OF THE DOCTOR TRAILER!

He has the wrong hairdo, though. Canon violation!!!

Great trailer(s). Looks like we're going to see the Time War, or more precisely its end (given the talk about "the Moment"), after all.
Old November 10 2013, 10:21 PM   #17
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I'm guessing this is from Tens early days, as he doesn't have the frilly hair her wore in his later seasons.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 10:58 PM   #18
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I also cannot wait for this. However, if the Hurt Doctor IS the 8.5 Doctor, or more precisely, the real 9th incarnation of the Doctor, I'm not sure how fitting it'll be in regards to NuWho continuity.

Also, as great as it will undoubtably be to actually SEE the Time War... should that really be the subject of an anniversary for the 50 years this show has been on?

Of course, this is not a slight for the special. Just a curio that popped to my head after having watched tonight for the first time the original DW serial, An Unearthly Child.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 11:28 PM   #19
Blamo
Fleet Captain

Oh and look, Spider Daleks!
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 01:04 AM   #20
davejames
Vice Admiral

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Also, as great as it will undoubtably be to actually SEE the Time War... should that really be the subject of an anniversary for the 50 years this show has been on?
Fair point. The Time War does kind of seem like an event relating more to the new era of DW than anything from the classic series.

But then it IS a seemingly huge and seismic event in the Doctor's life, so I guess it would make sense that it would be revisited at some point. A regular special or two-parter doesn't seem like it would really do the idea justice.

And it does involve Daleks, Gallifrey, and the Time Lords, which have all been around in the series for quite awhile.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 01:55 AM   #21
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Also, you need something really big and threatening to bring multiple Doctors together. In previous multi-Doctor specials there was usually a lot at stake as well. Speaking of which, I loved it when the first of those, The Three Doctors, was referenced in the trailer with Ten saying the exact same line as Two in that special ("Oh, you've redecorated! I don't like it.").
Old November 11 2013, 02:39 AM   #22
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Also, you need something really big and threatening to bring multiple Doctors together. In previous multi-Doctor specials there was usually a lot at stake as well.
While thats true, it still looks awfully exclusive to the post-2005 Doctors (and even then, not all of them ).

Speaking of which, I loved it when the first of those, The Three Doctors, was referenced in the trailer with Ten saying the exact same line as Two in that special ("Oh, you've redecorated! I don't like it.")
Its a staple. The Fourth Doctor also thought the TV Movie's/Eighth's TARDIS interior looked ostentatious, the Fifth didn't like Nine/Ten's desktop theme, and so on.

Strangely, though, the First Doctor didn't seem to mind Fifth's interior, including the brand-new console.

Old November 11 2013, 02:55 AM   #23
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Blamo wrote: View Post
Piloted by normal Daleks, no less:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/wp-cont...ider-dalek.jpg
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Pavonis
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Fair point. The Time War does kind of seem like an event relating more to the new era of DW than anything from the classic series.
The Fourth Doctor serial "Genesis of the Daleks" could be considered the opening battle of the Last Great Time War. What else would the Daleks consider an attempt to retroactively wipe them from history to be? I bet we could pinpoint other oldWho stories that would fit in the Time War story, so it's not an exclusively nuWho event.

HurtDoctor's quote "Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame" is a very un-Doctor-y quote, so this incarnation is clearly radically different from his antecedents and successors. Was he just "born" that way, or was he coerced to be that way?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 08:33 AM   #25
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post
The Fourth Doctor serial "Genesis of the Daleks" could be considered the opening battle of the Last Great Time War. What else would the Daleks consider an attempt to retroactively wipe them from history to be? I bet we could pinpoint other oldWho stories that would fit in the Time War story, so it's not an exclusively nuWho event.
Well, the Time War is an NuWho concept that was retroactively applied to OldWho, but I see what you mean.

RTD also suggested that Remembrance of the Daleks was the unofficial start of the war, what with the destruction of Skaro and everything.

HurtDoctor's quote "Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame" is a very un-Doctor-y quote, so this incarnation is clearly radically different from his antecedents and successors. Was he just "born" that way, or was he coerced to be that way?
If he IS a Doctor, and one thats an in-between-er, I'd rather hope he was un-Doctor-like for a reason.

Old November 11 2013, 09:19 AM   #26
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post

Two legs bad, 8 legs good.

Is anyone else thinking that Jackie Tyler back then looks better than Rose Tyler right now, and that Jackie Tyler probably still looks the same now as she did back then because the older you get the slower your appearance goes to shit.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 01:18 PM   #27
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post

Two legs bad, 8 legs good.

Is anyone else thinking that Jackie Tyler back then looks better than Rose Tyler right now, and that Jackie Tyler probably still looks the same now as she did back then because the older you get the slower your appearance goes to shit.
Being as Daleks are really little more than cranky squid, lets cross one with Jackie like was done with Dale Caan. The new critter should make a decent replacement for the Queen of the Racnos.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 05:12 PM   #28
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

I think this is a mis-direction. i think we'll see that the great men he is referring to are 10 and 11... he is the lesser man lighting the flame to what The Doctor will become
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 05:27 PM   #29
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah I thought the same, he is the lesser man who had the light the flame.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 05:43 PM   #30
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well it IS John Hurt. He's just got to have lots of cool and mysterious lines to say. It would probably be a bit weird to see him being all cute and quippy like the others.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote