RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,762
Posts: 5,433,823
Members: 24,839
Currently online: 587
Newest member: mrcptuk

TrekToday headlines

The Art of John Alvin Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 11 2013, 04:33 AM   #151
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

dansigal wrote: View Post
For accessibility purposes, please explain to me the difference between Netflix and Cable? Both are pay services. One involves getting someone to come in and install internet cables, the other involves getting someone to come in and install cable cables. Both you have to pay for, either with a credit card or a debit card or linking it to a bank account. You can watch Netflix on your tv with most DVD players or a $5 HDMI cable hooked up to a computer. I don't get the problems here?

As for DVDs, I'd be willing to wager pretty up anything in the world, that every single one of these shows will become available on DVD. It's where most of these types of shows actually make most of their money. Saying it won't be released on DVD (with absolutely no basis for hte claim) is essentially creating a problem out of thin air.
You can pay for cable with money orders, which you can get with cash at almost any grocery store of sufficient size or places like wal-mart. Once cable is set up, any TV in your house can access it easily (assuming its not a log cabin or isn't a decades old house that hasn't been updated since the 60s). You can have a 30 year old TV that you bought for $5 at a garage sale and it will almost certainly be able to use cable. You don't even need a remote control, you can manually switch between channels. Its very different from netflix, and is much more convenient and cheaper when it comes to equipment you need.

As for DVDs, its like I said. Why should I assume that shows distributed digitally first are made by people that don't hate physical media? People who really like digital stuff do tend to dislike/dismiss physical media.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 04:45 AM   #152
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral
 
Fist McStrongpunch's Avatar
 
Location: Milwaukeeish
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Major media companies shouldn't have to cater to bizarre luddites who refuse to have technology less than 30 years old, or to build up credit.
__________________
You all laugh when I look at boxes and talk about robot costumes. Robots, my friends, are no laughing matter.
Fist McStrongpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 04:52 AM   #153
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
People who really like digital stuff do tend to dislike/dismiss physical media.
But people who like to make money will do whatever it takes to make the most amount of money. That means DVD/BD sales.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 04:52 AM   #154
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Major media companies shouldn't have to cater to bizarre luddites who refuse to have technology less than 30 years old, or to build up credit.

The 30 years was an example. There are still millions of people like my family. People who aren't rich or tech savvy shouldn't get screwed over by the kind of people who spend there time talking about everything from books to video games will all be digital in a few years and people that hate reading books on a screen or who like actually physically owning stuff they buy are cavemen resistant to change. Luckily they make more than enough money from people like my family that the "digital only" people won't be getting their digital utopia anytime soon.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 05:02 AM   #155
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
As for DVDs, its like I said. Why should I assume that shows distributed digitally first are made by people that don't hate physical media? People who really like digital stuff do tend to dislike/dismiss physical media.
Primarily because they have been doing so.

And you'll have to give some evidence that they hate physical media.
__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 05:09 AM   #156
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Well, putting a show that you can only see through a digital service is a big warning sign to me. I'm not saying we definitely will not see the shows on DVD. I'm just saying that I can easily see them never coming on DVD. Until they expressly say that they will, I just think its safer to assume they won't. The mind set that would put shows on netflix exclusively just seem like the kind of mind set that hates physical media.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 05:17 AM   #157
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Cable television consists of shows you can only see through a digital service, so I really fail to see your point.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 05:54 AM   #158
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Well, putting a show that you can only see through a digital service is a big warning sign to me. I'm not saying we definitely will not see the shows on DVD. I'm just saying that I can easily see them never coming on DVD. Until they expressly say that they will, I just think its safer to assume they won't. The mind set that would put shows on netflix exclusively just seem like the kind of mind set that hates physical media.
"Hating" physical media at this point would remove a revenue stream. Something that most companies try to avoid. If it makes financial sense, they'll put it out on DVD.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 05:57 AM   #159
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Well, putting a show that you can only see through a digital service is a big warning sign to me. I'm not saying we definitely will not see the shows on DVD. I'm just saying that I can easily see them never coming on DVD. Until they expressly say that they will, I just think its safer to assume they won't. The mind set that would put shows on netflix exclusively just seem like the kind of mind set that hates physical media.
But that is completely irrational of you. You have no reason to think that these new MCU shows won't get to you eventually, and no reason to single out Netflix at all. The idea that you'd rather have them fail because you can't see them immediately boggles the mind!
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 06:02 AM   #160
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Until they expressly say that they will, I just think its safer to assume they won't.
Even though Netflix shows are released on DVD? Assuming the contrary is irrational in the extreme.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 06:05 AM   #161
dansigal
Commander
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
You can pay for cable with money orders, which you can get with cash at almost any grocery store of sufficient size or places like wal-mart. Once cable is set up, any TV in your house can access it easily (assuming its not a log cabin or isn't a decades old house that hasn't been updated since the 60s). You can have a 30 year old TV that you bought for $5 at a garage sale and it will almost certainly be able to use cable. You don't even need a remote control, you can manually switch between channels. Its very different from netflix, and is much more convenient and cheaper when it comes to equipment you need.

As for DVDs, its like I said. Why should I assume that shows distributed digitally first are made by people that don't hate physical media? People who really like digital stuff do tend to dislike/dismiss physical media.
You can pay for internet access and Netflix with a debit card (and you can do it for significantly cheaper than cable), which you can get linked to any checking account. So essentially your argument has boiled down to "Netflix isn't inclusive enough because it doesnt' cater to be people who don't use banks." There isn't a single argument that you're making that couldn't have been made by people by 30 years ago who only had standard television channels and didn't want to have to pay to watch original programming on cable.

It's also a massive generalization, entirely baseless, and pretty insulting to say that just because someone likes digital media, they most likely don't like physical media.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 07:46 AM   #162
TemporalFlux
Commodore
 
TemporalFlux's Avatar
 
Location: The End of Time
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Where we're really headed is the theater model; they're just doing it slowly. You want to watch the show? You have to come to streaming and give us 5 bucks. You want to watch it a second time? Give us another 5 bucks. There will be no ownership and you'll be milked dry.

When will this finally be achieved? Not soon. First they have to convince the super majority to discard all physical media. It's an acclimation process, and they're working on it.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 07:56 AM   #163
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

But once you subscribe to Netflix, you can watch their shows as many times as you want. That's no different than owning the physical media. They're not going to find shifting to a pay-per-view model successful. Netflix subscribers throw fits when they change the littlest thing and changing their subscription model would not be a little thing.

Anyway, physical media ownership and Netflix subscriptions are complementary. Netflix doesn't provide the behind-the-scenes and bonus material that physical media usually carries. For instance, I only purchase films and television shows that I love, while Netflix is for everything that I like.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 08:08 AM   #164
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Major media companies shouldn't have to cater to bizarre luddites who refuse to have technology less than 30 years old, or to build up credit.

The 30 years was an example. There are still millions of people like my family. People who aren't rich or tech savvy shouldn't get screwed over by the kind of people who spend there time talking about everything from books to video games will all be digital in a few years and people that hate reading books on a screen or who like actually physically owning stuff they buy are cavemen resistant to change. Luckily they make more than enough money from people like my family that the "digital only" people won't be getting their digital utopia anytime soon.
You aren't being screwed over. The fact that you would rather they didn't make these shows than to make them and not put them on network TV means you're the asshole in this scenario. "If I can't have it, no one should!" Is so pathetically childish I'm not even sure why I'm responding to it. Netflix isn't some strange alchemist's magic only available to city folk with IT degrees who hate physical media. It is 8 bucks a month and available on devices you already own. If you don't want to take advantage of it, then that is your choice and you will enjoy (or not) the results of that decision.

These are shows that would likely not survive on network or cable TV. Even if someone at the big 4 were interested in a Daredevil show, or a Luke Cage show, none of them want to invest in limited run series like Marvel is proposing here, and cable hasn't shown much interest in miniseries of late either. Netflix, HBO, etc. are just about the only options available and that means if you want to see it you have to support those services or wait for wider distribution. This isn't a difficult concept. You aren't the only one who matters in this equation, and as far as Marvel/Disney is concerned, you and your luddite family probably matter less than most.

As far as the parallel conversation here on the content of these shows, I think it is natural that this street-level side of the MCU will be a bit harder and harsher a place. They can make it 'gritty' and 'mature' without making it R-rated. On some level these are people running around beating up bad guys, and don't have the luxury of faceless Nazis or robots like several of the movies have been able to use to tone down the realism of the action; real violence will ensue at some point.

I honestly don't see why this street-level side of the MCU has to be especially family friendly anyways. They make cartoons for the kids, and the movies are (for the most part) accessible to kids, so why not have this corner be for the Dark Knight and Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones crowds? If it doesn't work, they can always be retooled for the movies anyways.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 03:59 PM   #165
dansigal
Commander
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Appropriate: http://www.xkcd.com/1289/
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
marvel cinematic universe

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.