TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 5 4.63%
A 31 28.70%
A- 24 22.22%
B+ 21 19.44%
B 12 11.11%
B- 9 8.33%
C+ 6 5.56%
C 0 0%
C- 0 0%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11 2013, 02:53 AM   #91
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: THOR: THE DARK WORLD - Grading & Discussion

For those expressing confusion, the nine realms are different dimensions, with Midgard being Earth's entire dimension...and Earth conveniently being the focal point of Midgard from the Asgardians' perspective.
That's kind of how I thought it but then, well, that's *very* convenient. I mean out of the trillions upon trillions upon trillions of planets in our universe Earth is the focal point? And then there seem to be dimensions that exist but aren't "known" or part of the nine in the Norse Tree, or the nine that align every 5,000 years. (Thor says the Chiltari aren't of any known Realm in "The Avengers.) I've taken the "dimensions" bit more or less as being the case (no idea if that jives with Norse Mythology but there's obviously more than nine habitable worlds in the universe) but then it's just like... "Earth just happens to be the focal of our universe, huh?"

I'm guessing when Thor is "explaining" these things to Jane in the first movie, that the Hubble is seeing these things, that the Hubble is seeing these floating discs/entries into the other Realms that all aligned in this movie.

I don't think we can guarantee that giving it to the Collector was Loki's call. It may have been Thor's call. The Collector certainly isn't one inclined to give up his collection if he doesn't have to. I think they know the risks giving it to him, but they probably think it'll at least be secure.
Sort of how I take it. The Collector is "trusted", eccentric but trusted as he's yet to do anything to lose trust. Besides it was probably also a case of "he can have it, it's not useful for 5,000 more years at which point he'll be dead" as opposed to "keep it, the Infinity Gauntlet and the Tesseract in the same place."

Watch in Thor 3 as we get a flash-back to that time Loki turned himself into a female horse, got pregnant and gave birth to an eight-legged horse which he gave to Odin for his birthday!
Old November 11 2013, 02:59 AM   #92
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The first film establishes that the known universe is shaped like a tree. The 9 realms are just in different branches. And the convergence is just a shortcut to those places. It's not about different dimensions. The Bifrost is not a dimensional portal either, it's just some FTL transport wormhole stargate thingy.

And Earth is ALWAYS the focal point in stories. That's hardly a flaw to just this film.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 03:06 AM   #93
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^Think you're taking the tree metaphor too literally.

Other dimensions is what it's about in the comics, and I haven't seen anything in the films to convince me otherwise.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
That's kind of how I thought it but then, well, that's *very* convenient. I mean out of the trillions upon trillions upon trillions of planets in our universe Earth is the focal point?
Pretty standard stuff for the comics though...when other dimensions interact with ours, Earth is pretty much always the center of attention.
Old November 11 2013, 03:07 AM   #94
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The first film establishes that the known universe is shaped like a tree. The 9 realms are just in different branches. And the convergence is just a shortcut to those places. It's not about different dimensions. The Bifrost is not a dimensional portal either, it's just some FTL transport wormhole stargate thingy.

And Earth is ALWAYS the focal point in stories. That's hardly a flaw to just this film.
But why is that "alignment" represented as three floating discs/portals to these other worlds, how do you account for there being "unknown" worlds if there's nine branches to this tree and, oh, the trillions of stars in the universe? The dimension thing makes a bit more sense, to me.
Old November 11 2013, 03:26 AM   #95
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post

Other dimensions is what it's about in the comics, and I haven't seen anything in the films to convince me otherwise.
While dimensions is the better explanation, it's not a flawless one. The Elves seemed to use conventional space travel to arrive, for example.
Old November 11 2013, 03:36 AM   #96
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post

While dimensions is the better explanation, it's not a flawless one. The Elves seemed to use conventional space travel to arrive, for example.
*Seemed* to being the operative word there. Who's to say they didn't have a drive-system that could move through dimensions as well as it does space?
Old November 11 2013, 03:48 AM   #97
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

It's definitely not just nine inhabited planets in all of space. That limits the MCU's options a little too much, and I'm sure that GotG will be establishing plenty of worlds that don't fit into the Asgardian scheme in that sense.

EDIT: Here's the Marvel Comics explanation of Asgard. Apparently the other 8 worlds are all considered part of the same dimension as Asgard, and Earth is in a different dimension.

Last edited by The Old Mixer; November 11 2013 at 04:05 AM.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 08:28 AM   #98
Anwar
Vice Admiral

About Odin. If Loki has used his shapeshifting/illusion powers to take his form and we know he can cast illusions on other people, it'd be totally in-character for him to turn Odin into him and then bury him alive in some grave and say it was Odin honoring Loki's sacrifice.

Odin may be in some Asgardian crypt somewhere, in some magic coma.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 03:40 PM   #99
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I'm going to say magic coma. It's certainly less gruesome.
Old November 12 2013, 03:50 PM   #100
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Popping in to ask a dumb question.

When Odin imprisoned Loki, I thought he said he would not kill him because of his mother, but that his mother would never be able to see him.

Was she really visiting Loki when she asked if she was his mother, as in using her abilities, or was it all it in Loki's mind?
Old November 12 2013, 04:35 PM   #101
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

I was wondering is odin dead and if so who killed him and why did we not see it?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 04:54 PM   #102
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

timothy wrote: View Post
I was wondering is odin dead and if so who killed him and why did we not see it?
Well if he's dead the person who killed him would have obviously been Loki.
Old November 12 2013, 04:56 PM   #103
stj
Rear Admiral

In order to keep from masquerading as Odin, Loki has to act in character, which presumably means ruling wisely and well. But if he rules wisely and well, there's no need for Odin to come back!

It dawns on me that they've actually written Loki's happy ending.
Thor now lives on Earth and Thor 3 need only end with Thor and Jane getting married for his happy ending. This will make for a remarkably upbeat trilogy, no?
Old November 12 2013, 04:57 PM   #104
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
In order to keep from masquerading as Odin, Loki has to act in character, which presumably means ruling wisely and well. But if he rules wisely and well, there's no need for Odin to come back!

It dawns on me that they've actually written Loki's happy ending.
Thor now lives on Earth and Thor 3 need only end with Thor and Jane getting married for his happy ending. This will make for a remarkably upbeat trilogy, no?
Following this idea, not at all.
Old November 12 2013, 05:04 PM   #105
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

That really was a great movie.. SOOOO much better than the first. A very good blend of humor, action, drama and FX.

I'm not sure if it's because it was partly set in London, or if it was because of the look of the elvish warriors, but I got a distinct Doctor Who vibe from the movie.. It just seemed to permiate the entire film and NO, it was not because Malekith was played by Doctor 9... Really...

The elvish warriors reminded me of Cybermen... And my daughter said the same thing without me even prompting her..

The bit with Chris Evans was a hoot. Looking forward to Part 3.