CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 11 2013, 02:30 AM   #1
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

'Friday's Child' question...

I'm watching this episode as we speak. The scenes are going back and forth from the Enterprise to the planet. Kirk is speaking with Teer Akaar. Back to the ship, Klingon intrigue. Back once again to the planet, and suddenly a big fight is going on in the village, everybody seems to be getting in on it. What started it? Was this an extension of the "Do you say you will fight me, Maab" conversation?
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Re: 'Friday's Child' question...

That's how I read it, though I've not seen the episode in over 15 years. Maab and his followers are trying to gain control of the tribe. Notably, Maab's honorable enough to not give the Klingon his weapon back yet, though he favors their proposal.
Old November 11 2013, 02:53 AM   #3
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I wasn't sure, but I had to ask. After the "Do you say you will fight me, Maab?" scene, it sounded to me to imply a one-on-one challenge. But this planet does have its own peculiar customs (a big point of discussion throughout), so I guess it all boils down to that. It was also a bit weird to me, that Maab just announces "Akaar is dead." without having seen it happen.

One nice thing in this episode, to me anyway, is getting to see a character (Eleen) mis-enunciate McCoy's name, for once!
Old November 11 2013, 03:04 AM   #4
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
One nice thing in this episode, to me anyway, is getting to see a character (Eleen) mis-enunciate McCoy's name, for once!
I never saw Julie Newmar in anything else. Did she normally speak with an accent, as she did in this episode?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 03:06 AM   #5
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I sometimes wonder if a scene was cut for time, or never filmed, or never written with all the stuff happening in that episode. Though at least they were on location with a big cast and an impressive explosion scene.

Timewalker wrote: View Post
I never saw Julie Newmar in anything else. Did she normally speak with an accent, as she did in this episode?
Julie (80 now) always used a distinctive voice with her characters, and I suspect she was using a Capellan accent.

If you've never seen her work before, you should see her as Catwoman on the old Batman tv series from around the same time. Then check her out as a Native American warrior woman in the film Mackenna's Gold. And check out an earlier non-speaking role as Stupefyin' Jones in the film Li'l Abner. And then look for her own series with Bob Cummings where she's a robot, My Living Doll.

Last edited by Dr. Sevrin; November 11 2013 at 03:19 AM.
Dr. Sevrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 03:13 AM   #6
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Is purring words an accent?
Old November 11 2013, 03:19 AM   #7
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Is purring words an accent?
Ha ha..no! I meant her intentional Mac-Coy" throughout.
Old November 11 2013, 04:27 AM   #8
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Undead

There was a later sequence that was filmed but cut, after our heros have helped Eileen escape.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 06:46 AM   #9
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Unicron wrote: View Post
There was a later sequence that was filmed but cut, after our heros have helped Eileen escape.
Thanks, Unicron..neat read!
Old November 11 2013, 06:58 AM   #10
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Yes, thanks for that Unicron. It does explain why some parts of the show are a bit jarring.
Old November 11 2013, 02:42 PM   #11
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

The fight scene is indeed abrupt and there actually was a scripted missing piece. (It makes things a little bit better, but not much.) Scene 19 is the “The sky does not interest me” scene that ends with Eleen’s “Leave him” comment. Cut to Scene 20 on the bridge with the faint ship on Chekov’s monitor and Klingon ship intrigue. Cut to (and this is where it becomes different) Scene 21:

21 INT. SMALLER TENT – NIGHT

As Kirk Spock and McCoy hear SCUFFLING, then a YELL from outside. They sit up alert, then MORE SOUNDS, a SCREAM. They hurry to the tent flap.

22 EXT. CAPELLAN ENCAMPMENT – AT SMALLER TENT – NIGHT

As Kirk and the others open the flap, find the Guards are gone. Then MORE SHOUTS, the CLANG OF METAL WEAPONS. Then one of Maab’s Warriors breaks out of the darkness and into view, swinging on of the huge knives. McCoy is almost skewered; Kirk diverts the Warrior just in time and Spock applies his neck pinch; the Warrior drops unconscious. They break into a run toward the SOUNDS.

23 ANOTHER PART OF THE ENCAMPMENT

Bedlam. Akaar is in the center of the swirl of fighting, defending himself… others standing with him. Attackers are led by Maab.

The script then progresses from there just as we have seen. Fighting. Klingon into the tent, Kirk comes in. Struggle. Maab comes in and announces “Akaar is dead. I am the Teer.”

So it looks like they just took out Scenes 21 and Scene 22. It jumps right from Scene 19 on the bridge to the “bedlam” of Scene 23. However, there’s no clarity on when and how Akaar was killed—other than the obvious stuff that we can read between the lines.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 08:43 PM   #12
alchemist
Commander

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
The fight scene is indeed abrupt and there actually was a scripted missing piece. (It makes things a little bit better, but not much.) Scene 19 is the “The sky does not interest me” scene that ends with Eleen’s “Leave him” comment. Cut to Scene 20 on the bridge with the faint ship on Chekov’s monitor and Klingon ship intrigue. Cut to (and this is where it becomes different) Scene 21:

21 INT. SMALLER TENT – NIGHT

As Kirk Spock and McCoy hear SCUFFLING, then a YELL from outside. They sit up alert, then MORE SOUNDS, a SCREAM. They hurry to the tent flap.

22 EXT. CAPELLAN ENCAMPMENT – AT SMALLER TENT – NIGHT

As Kirk and the others open the flap, find the Guards are gone. Then MORE SHOUTS, the CLANG OF METAL WEAPONS. Then one of Maab’s Warriors breaks out of the darkness and into view, swinging on of the huge knives. McCoy is almost skewered; Kirk diverts the Warrior just in time and Spock applies his neck pinch; the Warrior drops unconscious. They break into a run toward the SOUNDS.

23 ANOTHER PART OF THE ENCAMPMENT

Bedlam. Akaar is in the center of the swirl of fighting, defending himself… others standing with him. Attackers are led by Maab.

The script then progresses from there just as we have seen. Fighting. Klingon into the tent, Kirk comes in. Struggle. Maab comes in and announces “Akaar is dead. I am the Teer.”

So it looks like they just took out Scenes 21 and Scene 22. It jumps right from Scene 19 on the bridge to the “bedlam” of Scene 23. However, there’s no clarity on when and how Akaar was killed—other than the obvious stuff that we can read between the lines.
These scripted scenes were filmed slightly differently than written and then rearranged in the editing room. This image is from the start of scene 22.
Old November 11 2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Forbin
Admiral

Oh the irony of hiring an actress/dancer with one of the best figures in the business, and making her up pregnant.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:19 AM   #14
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

WHY WHY WHY is this the episode they actually find missing footage from???

as per Charlie Brown, "AAUGGH!"

I think I hated this episode the most anyway. Now this. Even worse than "That Which Survives." That is a nothing so I hate it on principle. This one I truly really dislike.

But I digress. . .
Old November 12 2013, 12:25 AM   #15
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I actually liked the Capellans. It was an attempt by the series to present a genuinely different race with different social behaviors and distinctive costumes. Their difference in size wasn't always consistent, but Shatner's head would have been at the bottom of the frame otherwise.