Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 11 2013, 01:50 AM   #76
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: cool that there are so many TMP threads

I totally agree with you, Lance! I don't know what else to add, you said it so well. All of these photo montages look paintshopped to the umpth degree and I just don't enjoy looking at it. I look at the painted STAR WARS poster for EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and I think, "holy crap! The original to this belongs in a gallery!" and an image like that, to me, at least, is very memorable. Whether it makes me want to go see a movie, I don't know ... probably not. But if I'm in the market for a movie like that, then yes, the poster will certainly be of interest to me. STAR TREK III's movie poster happens to be my favorite and it just looks incredible. And despite the fact that it was a very stylized painting, it so represents the conents of the movie and does it so well, that my appreciation for it only grows. Movies are a great medium for artists of ALL types - and I hope that could still include Traditional Art. I think it should!
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 01:59 AM   #77
Lance
Commodore

^ One thing I did appreciate about 'The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull', and even the Star Wars prequels to that matter, is that Lucas and Spielberg did employ painted movie posters. I hope the Disney guys do the same for the upcoming movie (I don't doubt that JJ might prefer it, being the afficionado of the series that he apparently is, but whether "the suits" up there in the House of Mouse think it's a good idea is another matter).
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 02:15 AM   #78
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Again, I don't see your point. I have already agreed, more than once, that the DE is not exactly what a completed 1979 version of TMP would have been. That is so obvious that it doesn't even need to be pointed out. What I have said is that it's closer than the other available versions, that it corrects many of their flaws, and that it did have the involvement of Robert Wise, even if it was 2001 Robert Wise rather than 1979 Robert Wise. Obviously, making the film exactly the way Wise wanted it in '79 is impossible, so that's a ridiculous standard to judge it by. But if you're going to make an updated edit of a Robert Wise film 22 years after the fact, there's nobody I'd trust more with that process than Robert Wise, who was not only the guy who directed the film, but the guy who edited Citizen Kane and thus knew a lot more about editing than anyone here. If he was okay with the DE, then who am I to argue? If Wise-'01 decided to approve changes from Wise-'79's original plan, I'm going to take that as the result of his greater experience and time to reconsider, and I'm not going to tell him he's wrong about his own movie.
I wasn't gonna bring this up AGAIN,but since you mention KANE ... Wise is also the guy who didn't save a workprint of Welles' cut of AMBERSONS and was the major participant in the subsequenb butchering of the film. I can understand him wanting to keep his job and do what the studio told him, but to not keep and/or smuggle out the original cut was disgraceful, and historically, probably one of the greatest losses to cinema ever. So I don't think his having edited KANE (which he did made SOME creative contributions to, in addition to just splicing ends together) is any particular get-out-of-jail free card for any later sins.

THE GOD THING was a staunch Wise defender, but I'm sure he could weigh in with tons more about the DE and exactly whose hands were all over it, if he were still posting here.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 02:17 AM   #79
trevanian
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=TREK_GOD_1;8873806]
Star Trek had already advanced to that road for its Phase 2 before SW popped up.
No, p2 didn't begin at all till after SW came out. PLANET OF THE TITANS was the Trek project - a feature film - in development at Paramount, and it was cancelled after SW came out, because Paramount thought they were too late to the party.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 04:16 AM   #80
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=trevanian;8874799]
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Star Trek had already advanced to that road for its Phase 2 before SW popped up.
No, p2 didn't begin at all till after SW came out. PLANET OF THE TITANS was the Trek project - a feature film - in development at Paramount, and it was cancelled after SW came out, because Paramount thought they were too late to the party.
Paramount wanted ST back as series first, and under no circumstances were they going to make a Star Wars-ian production. The "DNA" of ST was simply not going to lead the property in that direction, even after Paramount took the off-ramp to a movie idea.
Old November 11 2013, 04:27 AM   #81
Christopher
Writer

Lance wrote: View Post
I hope the Disney guys do the same for the upcoming movie (I don't doubt that JJ might prefer it, being the afficionado of the series that he apparently is, but whether "the suits" up there in the House of Mouse think it's a good idea is another matter).
Generally when Disney acquires a property, like Pixar or Marvel, it's because it attracts an audience (and money) that their own products don't, so they want it to keep doing exactly what it's already been doing, with the only difference being that the profit goes into Disney's money bin instead of somebody else's. I'm sure they want Star Wars to keep being Star Wars, because that's what creates audience loyalty.

On the other hand, the difference as I understand it is that Pixar and Marvel Studios are independent production companies owned by the Disney corporation, alongside the Walt Disney Studios which are also owned by the Disney corporation. Whereas Lucasfilm has been absorbed within the Walt Disney Studios as a subset of that production company. So it's possible that Lucasfilm won't have quite the same autonomy that Marvel does, say.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 09:06 AM   #82
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Again, I don't see your point. I have already agreed, more than once, that the DE is not exactly what a completed 1979 version of TMP would have been. ..
Who said I was talking about your comments specifically? I was referring to a number of different posts in this thread which repeated conventional wisdom which has on numerous occasions been dubunked re the production difficulties of this movie and the DE.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 01:56 PM   #83
Robert Comsol
Commodore

trevanian wrote: View Post
Wise is also the guy who didn't save a workprint of Welles' cut of AMBERSONS and was the major participant in the subsequent butchering of the film.
Thanks for mentioning that. Awesome Welles was in South America at the time and when he returned and saw the final cut of "The Magnificient Ambersons" he said that it looked as if "someone went over the film with a lawnmover".

When I saw the television alternate edit of TMP I just couldn't grasp why many good scenes involving characters and not VFX hadn't made it into the theatrical version.

The TMP DC released on DVD is okay, but so is Ridley Scott's DC of "Alien", IMHO. There is still material that should have been included, but maybe Bob Wise was afraid it would make the original theatrical edition of TMP look too "bad".

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote