RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 643
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 10 2013, 08:48 PM   #136
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Don't overdo it, Marvel.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 09:01 PM   #137
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post

But what is the reason for them TO move to that? They practically created binge viewing. And why would they want to be more like broadcast? House of Cards and Orange is the New Black did really well. And were being talked about all the time. I think if they didn't, then that would give them a reason to change how they do things.

Right now, the motivation to change is just be like everyone else. And with the success they are reporting, why?

If it ain't broke, ya know...
I am not saying they have to, just that they could.
Well. Now I'm confused. Because they could do LOTS of things. You seem to be advocating for them to be doing a specific thing, yet you aren't?

So, let me rephrase, sure, they COULD do that model of releasing once a week, but why would they? What would be the motive to change something that works well for them?
Sorry, I misunderstood. The reason I was arguing is that releasing episodes on a weekly basis could extend the dialogue around a show. For example, here on this board, every week we discuss the new comics or new episodes or whatever. Hemlock Grove never received an extended thread to keep the dialogue going on that show.

Theoretically, extending the dialogue around a show would serve to build the audience base as it gives more people a chance to hear about it. Releasing a season over thirteen weeks gives people twelve more weeks to hear about the show and thus more opportunities to attract new subscribers.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 09:05 PM   #138
cylkoth
Commodore

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
. As for dVd, again I still really doubt any Marvel netflix show will ever be on DVD, but honestly I'd still prefer they didn't exist if they are netflix exclusive, even if Marvel manages to get dVDs out of the shows. It sets a very bad precedent to have good shows debut on netflix.
I guess I'm just not understanding. Could you perhaps explain why you feel so very strongly this way? All evidence shows why you shouldn't and allay your concerns. Every single scripted series created for every pay tv channel/service in the US and abroad, has been released on disc for those who choose not to subscribe to those services. Studios want as much money as they can get, and will not reject making more by not making premium series available to all after the standard premiere 'window', or release period ends. House of Cards debuted in February. 10 months later, it came to disc. HBO's Game of Thrones ended it's season in June, it's disc release will be (tentatively) Feb 18. It debuted March 31-so that's close to 11 months before disc arrival.

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
All of our DVD players we got for around 10-20 dollars, and I don't know what a BD player is. If you mean bluray player, our PS3 is the only one, and I only got that because I got a lot of money from family when I graduated high school. We won't be getting bluray players by themselves until DVD is dead and bluray players have gotten dirt cheap like DVD players eventually did (we don't even have an hd-tv, why would we have a bluray player?). I'd love to have netflix, it sounds cool. Its just not possible because we can't pay them the way they want and none of the ways of streaming it to tv are affordable.

Its like what I was saying about tv. Unless stuff like netflix can be as easy as cable (just hook into your tv from a pug in and go) and don't require credit cards people like my family will never be able to get it.
You can find good condition used or refurbished blu ray players cheap, on ebay or Amazon. Roku boxes, and another streaming box called WD TV Live, can be found there as well for around $60. Both of those are wifi capable, so you won't need to run ethernet cables if your router is located where your tv /PS3 is.

It really is easy to obtain Netflix for anyone that already had broadband internet service. Trust us, we wouldn't lead you on.
Old November 10 2013, 09:23 PM   #139
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I love my Roku box - considering that with Time Warner Cable, they even have an app where you can watch some live channels on it too, so it's almost like having an extra 'free' cable box. Plus the fact that as new streaming services come around, typically they add a channel to it on the Roku - and the cheapest Roku can usually be found for about $50 bucks - about the price of a moderately cheap BluRay player and works with old non HDTVs, I sort of have mine hooked up to two screens - my 1080p computer monitor and a pair of speakers and then the analogue hook up to my old 20" tube tv. But yeah even the most basic of BluRays include a Netflix app.

So really Marvel can still provide a 'premium' channel set of tv shows but without people needing cable. I'd rather they have put it on Netflix and let it be more "showtime/hbo" quality with a little cussin' and nudity heh then have it be on Showtime or HBO and have to subscribe to that which costs more than Netflix does.
Old November 10 2013, 09:26 PM   #140
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I am not saying they have to, just that they could.
Well. Now I'm confused. Because they could do LOTS of things. You seem to be advocating for them to be doing a specific thing, yet you aren't?

So, let me rephrase, sure, they COULD do that model of releasing once a week, but why would they? What would be the motive to change something that works well for them?
Sorry, I misunderstood. The reason I was arguing is that releasing episodes on a weekly basis could extend the dialogue around a show. For example, here on this board, every week we discuss the new comics or new episodes or whatever. Hemlock Grove never received an extended thread to keep the dialogue going on that show.
Yeah. That was a common complaint about the idea of releasing them all at once, the water cooler angle. But, that didn't stop the threads about Orange is the New Black, House of Cards and Arrested Development in the the other part of the BBS. They were discussed at length.

I suspect Hemlock Grove didn't get an extended thread because it may not have been very good. That's what I heard anyway.

And just out and about in my circle, a lot of my friends were talking about Orange and Cards. "Have you seen it?" "Where are you?" Things like that.

So, actually, I don't think it limited conversation, more changed the nature of the discussion.

Theoretically, extending the dialogue around a show would serve to build the audience base as it gives more people a chance to hear about it. Releasing a season over thirteen weeks gives people twelve more weeks to hear about the show and thus more opportunities to attract new subscribers.
True. Two points.

1. I think there was dialogue around the show. "Did you see it?" "You gotta see it."

and 2. I don't think Netflix's business model is about attracting a viewer for a specific show--like a network. It's about getting them in--even if it's for a free month, enough time to watch all of a specific show--and letting them see how much content the subscriber would have available to them. In other words, they are more than happy to give away a whole meal (or two or three, etc.) if it means the customer will keep coming back again and again. It's not about A show, it's about access to ALL of their content--that's what they want people to buy. It's a different way of doing things.
Old November 10 2013, 09:30 PM   #141
Christopher
Writer

I have no objections to Netflix going a more adult route, but that doesn't seem appropriate for Marvel-universe shows. Granted, characters like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage have been featured in Marvel's adult-oriented line, but I think the film and TV franchise are geared toward a more general audience, including younger viewers, and I see no reason to change that. If anything, comics today have become too adult-oriented for their own good. It was fine when they were trying to prove that comics could be accessible to adults and weren't just the kid stuff they were stereotyped as, but I think they ended up going too far in the opposite direction. If comics and superhero shows/films aren't accessible to children, where does the next generation of fans come from?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 09:32 PM   #142
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I have no objections to Netflix going a more adult route, but that doesn't seem appropriate for Marvel-universe shows. Granted, characters like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage have been featured in Marvel's adult-oriented line, but I think the film and TV franchise are geared toward a more general audience, including younger viewers, and I see no reason to change that. If anything, comics today have become too adult-oriented for their own good. It was fine when they were trying to prove that comics could be accessible to adults and weren't just the kid stuff they were stereotyped as, but I think they ended up going too far in the opposite direction. If comics and superhero shows/films aren't accessible to children, where does the next generation of fans come from?
I agree with 100% of this post. I don't mind seeing some variation in between the different shows--some more gritty than others... but. Yeah.

But, I especially want to +1 to this post in regards to comics. I have a son now. And the idea of him reading Batman... no way. Not until he's like 15. Seriously, BATMAN. There was some stuff recently, I'm think of the Joker and what he did to his face... that I thought was a little over the top.
Old November 10 2013, 10:24 PM   #143
Lieutenant Commander

I share the same concern as kirk55555.

Coming from a country with no Netflix, this has effectively killed any chance of me seeing it.

An I am not too convinced either that DVD will happen. Sure, House of Cards is coming out, but searching their other original programing titles indicate that this release was really the exception; they don't normally release DVDs of their programs as far as I can see.
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 10:50 PM   #144
Darth Duck
Commodore

777 wrote: View Post

Coming from a country with no Netflix, this has effectively killed any chance of me seeing it.

An I am not too convinced either that DVD will happen. Sure, House of Cards is coming out, but searching their other original programing titles indicate that this release was really the exception; they don't normally release DVDs of their programs as far as I can see.
It's Marvel and it will sell. Of course it will be on DVD. They want to make all the money.
Darth Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 11:09 PM   #145
cylkoth
Commodore

777 wrote: View Post

TV series season box sets are typically released in proximity to their next season's launch date. Tvshowsondvd.com has Lillyhammer-Netflix' actual first series, having it's first season released on disc next month. Just in time for it's second season on Dec 15. So the others should follow House of Cards (which is a few months earlier than this pattern) in the coming months.

And since you're in a country where Netflix hasn't entered, chances are high that it will be sold to a network or channel there, airing in the same timeframe as the streaming release, so again, no worries.
Old November 11 2013, 12:21 AM   #146
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I agree with 100% of this post. I don't mind seeing some variation in between the different shows--some more gritty than others... but. Yeah.

But, I especially want to +1 to this post in regards to comics. I have a son now. And the idea of him reading Batman... no way. Not until he's like 15. Seriously, BATMAN. There was some stuff recently, I'm think of the Joker and what he did to his face... that I thought was a little over the top.
I agree too. I downloaded Comixology's free titles for young readers from DC as I do not want my son reading Batman or Detective. I like that Marvel has gone the more "general audience" route--the plots are serious but the violence is pretty lightweight. I have watched the Avengers, Thor, and Iron Man with my son and aside from a few moments of fright it was basically a cartoon for him. I will not let him watch Man of Steel or the Nolan's Batman because those are too intense. It's my judgment call, of course.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 12:45 AM   #147
dansigal
Commander

For accessibility purposes, please explain to me the difference between Netflix and Cable? Both are pay services. One involves getting someone to come in and install internet cables, the other involves getting someone to come in and install cable cables. Both you have to pay for, either with a credit card or a debit card or linking it to a bank account. You can watch Netflix on your tv with most DVD players or a $5 HDMI cable hooked up to a computer. I don't get the problems here?

As for DVDs, I'd be willing to wager pretty up anything in the world, that every single one of these shows will become available on DVD. It's where most of these types of shows actually make most of their money. Saying it won't be released on DVD (with absolutely no basis for hte claim) is essentially creating a problem out of thin air.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 12:47 AM   #148
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Nobody needs to install anything for Netflix streaming. You can watch it right on your computer or, with a HDMI cable, hook your computer to your TV and watch it there.
Old November 11 2013, 01:07 AM   #149
Christopher
Writer

Not to mention that Netflix streaming is only 8 bucks a month, which is probably competitive with the cost of a premium-channels package on your cable service (I wouldn't know since I've never subscribed to things like HBO or Showtime).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 01:14 AM   #150
cylkoth
Commodore

Cable pay channels range in price from $15-$20 bucks a month, depending on the cable system you're on and region. The cable co gets a cut of that fee since they're doing the sales, distributing and paperwork.