Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 9 2013, 11:19 PM   #91
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I didn't really mean to say it was stupid. For what it is it could be good, I really don't know.
Exactly.

I won't watch a show about drugs.
Then MAYBE you should say THAT. Instead of what you did: I don't like shows that are critically acclaimed.

If you say what you actually mean, then you won't have to walk back what you say later.

This is OT, but Breaking Bad isn't really a "drug show" whatever that means. It's about a lot more than that. The selling of drugs is the basic premise. But, to each his own. I think you're missing out on great acting, great writing, and great story telling.
Old November 9 2013, 11:28 PM   #92
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I don't like donkey shows, but I don't think that's pertinent to this conversation.
Old November 10 2013, 02:19 AM   #93
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post

Do you think you're supporting the drug trade or prostitution if you watch shows about those subjects? Or that the shows are some kind of gateway to becoming addicted to drugs/sex?
I just don't like seeing depictions of drug use/people on drugs on TV. Now, I'm talking about real stuff. Technically the Jem'Hadar on DS9 were on drugs. Its the depiction of real world drugs that I can't stand, at least as the focus of a show/movie.

As for sex, I don't want it on my TV. No sex or nudity. If its on something I really want to see, I'll scene skip (like the stupid pointless nudity in Stargate SG-1's pilot). I'm as attracted to naked women as the next straight guy, but I am just not comfortable with nudity/sex on tv shows or in movies or really in any media. Even strictly PG sex/sexual scenes I'm uncomfortable with, although those don't usually get a scene skip unless its really annoying me for other reasons.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I didn't really mean to say it was stupid. For what it is it could be good, I really don't know.
Exactly.

I won't watch a show about drugs.
Then MAYBE you should say THAT. Instead of what you did: I don't like shows that are critically acclaimed.

If you say what you actually mean, then you won't have to walk back what you say later.

This is OT, but Breaking Bad isn't really a "drug show" whatever that means. It's about a lot more than that. The selling of drugs is the basic premise. But, to each his own. I think you're missing out on great acting, great writing, and great story telling.
I'll completely admit that I shouldn't have used it as an example. It just popped into my head, so I wrote it down. I probably should have mentioned something else (all of the bad critically acclaimed shows I think of seem to be on AMC, which is kind of weird ). Off the top of my head, honestly a lot of the critically acclaimed shows are things I just find really boring (like Mad Men, I don't hate the idea, more like extreme indifference) or just can't watch because of the theme (like Breaking Bad).

I guess for shows I just don't like that I've seen and think count as critically acclaimed, it probably would have been better to mention shows like: The Walking Dead, Arrested Development (I don't hate it so much as don't find it funny or entertaining at all), Lost (ok first season, but after that it sucked), 30 Rock (this is in the same category as AD), and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Those probably fit what I was talking about much better than BB.

Pavonis wrote: View Post
...I just hope this experiment fails quickly, so they can get back to more traditional stuff. I'd honestly rather have failure than good shows anyway, because I sure as hell don't want this to become popular, screwing over people by putting shows on netflix....
Such an odd attitude. "Traditional stuff" is on the decline. On-demand viewing of entertainment is the future. Netflix is not going away, and even if these shows "fail", the economic model of traditional television broadcasting is dying and won't be revived.

TV isn't going anywhere until the internet becomes completely free and covers the major countries of the world 100%. Until then, millions (probably tens of millions just in the us alone) of people that don't have/can't get/can't afford internet, and millions who have internet still watch tv and probably will continue to do so for a long, long, long time.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 02:38 AM   #94
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. In my mind it's a good place, Netflix has the freedom of premium cable and I imagine a hunger to prove themselves.

I've not read many Cage stories but I always thought the character seemed like it could be a good fit for TV scope stories.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 02:52 AM   #95
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

TV isn't going anywhere until the internet becomes completely free and covers the major countries of the world 100%. Until then, millions (probably tens of millions just in the us alone) of people that don't have/can't get/can't afford internet, and millions who have internet still watch tv and probably will continue to do so for a long, long, long time.
Access to television programing is not a right.

Studios will follow whatever model is in their best interest. If they can make more money selling their product to those who can afford then they will. There does come a point when the "millions who can't afford internet" no longer remains a viable market share. And it's closer than you think it is.
Old November 10 2013, 03:18 AM   #96
Christopher
Writer

I'm sure that when TV came along, the radio and movie loyalists raised quite a fuss about it. Life is change.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 03:52 AM   #97
Pavonis
Commodore

It's definitely on the decline. Who wants to be forced to watch entertainment on the networks' schedules? Ever since the TiVo allowed for easy and reliable time-shifted viewing (without having to set up a VCR and timer), the idea that advertising revenues will pay for TV programming has been superseded. Entertainment producers will always go where the eyeballs are, because they have to. If the majority of eyeballs are on the internet (and really, they are) then that's the place for everyone to display their stuff. TV will still be around in the same way radio and smoke signals are still around, though.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 03:56 AM   #98
dansigal
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
That's how they did their other original shows? Just posted the whole season at once, like they do when they add an old series' season set to their streaming service?

That would mean we could watch the episodes whenever we wanted and not have to wait a week for the next episode. Plus I assume there are no commercials -- and being free of the tyranny of commercial-funded broadcasting is bound to be cretaively liberating. And lots of TVs these days actually get Netflix and let you watch on TV rather than on a computer monitor. So that seems like a pretty good approach. And it, or something like it, is probably the wave of the future.
It has it's benefits and downsides. It certainly lets shows be more creative in HOW they can tell stories. I was really impressed with the Netflix season of Arrested Development. I don't think it always worked on a comedy level, but the style of story telling, where the order you watched the episodes in didn't really matter even though there was one overall story being told was ambitious as hell, and couldn't have been done on broadcast tv or cable. I give them all the credit in the world just for trying. There will be a ton of possibilities in the way Marvel will be able to structure these series and how the series interact with each other.

The big downside for me is that releasing all the episodes at once kind of kills the watercooler effect for the show. With everyone watching at their own pace it stifles the type of community discussion that I really enjoy. Rather than 3 months worth of buzz and discussion, shows tend the flame out quickly, with the really passionate consuming the entire series in right away and talking about it for that week or two following, and the rest catching up at a slower pace, but without any common point of reference to have any large group discussions. The type of thread we have going on here with SHIELD just wouldn't be possible with what Netflix is doing.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 04:01 AM   #99
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah. There are pacing conventions we're used to for shows that DVDs and streaming can't replicate. Interestingly enough, people often find shows more entertaining with the pauses for commercials as well (the suspense between commercial breaks is a big reason why). However, that just makes things different, not necessarily worse. Plus, I think the four characters leading to a mini-series can serve as its own way of building suspense.

Alternatively, they might release it more periodically (I doubt this, but it's possible).
Old November 10 2013, 04:17 AM   #100
Christopher
Writer

Honestly, sometimes I think commercial TV is deliberately trying to make itself so annoying that we'd prefer to watch DVDs and streams. It's not enough that they cut to ever-growing amounts of commercials every five minutes, but they have their "bug" graphics constantly on the screen, and lately they have these huge, distracting animated promos for other shows superimposed on top of the show you're trying to watch. Getting to watch shows uninterrupted and unadulterated on Netflix sounds like a great alternative.

Although the troubling thought occurs to me that if TV viewing migrates primarily to the Internet, then the advertisers will follow and we may still end up getting annoying ads superimposed somehow.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 04:22 AM   #101
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Do I understand this right? Netflix just dumps the entire series of new episodes all at once?

If so, I'm really surprised that Netflix does not replicate the broadcast model of one new episode each week. Netflix is a subscription service based on a monthly payment; if they can string you along to stay subscribed to see the entire series, then that would potentially triple their profits on a 13 episode series. That's nothing to sneeze at.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 04:26 AM   #102
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

TV may not last forever, but its not going anywhere anytime soon. Millions of people are still millions of people. Plus, there are probably millions of people with internet that still prefer/watch TV as well. TV will still be around long after everyone alive now is dead.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 04:34 AM   #103
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
Do I understand this right? Netflix just dumps the entire series of new episodes all at once?

If so, I'm really surprised that Netflix does not replicate the broadcast model of one new episode each week. Netflix is a subscription service based on a monthly payment; if they can string you along to stay subscribed to see the entire series, then that would potentially triple their profits on a 13 episode series. That's nothing to sneeze at.
That's been their model up to this point, yes.
Old November 10 2013, 04:41 AM   #104
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

I think that same thought has occurred to Netflix and its shareholders as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Netflix follow the method that Amazon Prime Video is implementing with its new political scripted series, where a few episodes are dumped initially (for people to get a sampling) and then go to weekly episode distribution thereafter.

Ironically, Amazon Prime membership is a yearly fee and a prolonged distribution model for their shows shouldn't increase their profits in a significant way -- whereas the Netflix subscription model would benefit highly from stringing viewers along for several months, as you pointed out.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 04:48 AM   #105
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Not to mention that you can usually get a free month's trial. You can conceivably watch the entire show during that period.