Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 9 2013, 07:49 AM   #316
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

2x10: "A New Spiritual Age"

An excellent episode, probably the best of Book 2, not counting "Beginnings". We haven't had an episode that fast-paced or tense since Book 1. No filler, just pure Korra and the story at hand. The situation with Vaatu has me worried. He wants to wipe out Raava. I wonder if Korra will have to give up the avatar spirit (at least temporarily) to save someone or prevent something. That's a possibility, either in place of, or in addition to a dark avatar. We'll see. As mentioned already, something better than a straightforward battle with Vaatu has to happen if the writers are any good.

Also, it was nice to see Iroh again even if he sounded a little different. Lots of good real-world wisdom there if you pay attention and read between the lines. I also liked how well the spirit world was brought to life. Felt like something out of The Lovely Bones. Then there's that owl. Not especially pleasant in The Last Airbender and now he's put his trust in Unalaq. Not much else to say since there's more to come. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all goes down.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:45 PM   #317
Christopher
Writer

They did a great job keeping Iroh's appearance a secret. When he showed up, I just grinned uncontrollably until my cheeks started to hurt. Although my excitement faded the more he spoke. I guess Greg Baldwin is out of practice at imitating Mako, because he just didn't sound right here.

With Korra having to learn here how to control her anger and look for the light and peace inside her, I think this is going to end up with her taming Vaatu, convincing him and Raava to rejoin in balance.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 06:43 PM   #318
Agent Richard07
Admiral

When I saw this...

...it kind of registered as being Aang for a split second before I realized it was Jinora.

I also noticed that she knows an awful lot about the library. I wonder if there's anything to that. At first I thought she might be a reincarnation of someone who was there and she was somehow aware of that.

Christopher wrote: View Post
With Korra having to learn here how to control her anger and look for the light and peace inside her, I think this is going to end up with her taming Vaatu, convincing him and Raava to rejoin in balance.
If that comes to pass, I wonder what it means for Korra as the avatar.
Old November 9 2013, 06:50 PM   #319
Christopher
Writer

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I also noticed that she knows an awful lot about the library. I wonder if there's anything to that. At first I thought she might be a reincarnation of someone who was there and she was somehow aware of that.
Or, she's the granddaughter of Aang and Katara and the grandniece of Sokka, and thus is familiar with the tales they passed down to their family about their experience in the library. We've known as far back as her first appearance that she has great curiosity about history, including the events that her grandparents lived through in A:TLA.

Old November 9 2013, 09:25 PM   #320
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, pretty much the first thing we ever heard her say was her questioning Katara about Zuko's mum. It's hardly surprising that she knew about the library.

Anyone else think it's a little creepy that they just left the professor's body there to rot? Also, if you can't loose or gain weight in the spirit world, what exactly did he die of? Old age? Terminal case of irritated spirit owl? I know there's a difference between entering the spirit world physically and spiritually, but I'm still a little confused as to the rules.

Also, maybe it's asking too much what with three (two and a half?) characters from the old series returning, but I rather expected Hei Bai, Koh or even that lemur spirit to make an appearance.

Actually, I may be mis-remembering but didn't Koh also dwell is a gnarled, ancient looking tree like the one Vaatu was trapped in?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 09:36 PM   #321
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Jinora's penchant for spirituality made me overthink it.

Reverend wrote: View Post
Anyone else think it's a little creepy that they just left the professor's body there to rot? Also, if you can't loose or gain weight in the spirit world, what exactly did he die of? Old age? Terminal case of irritated spirit owl? I know there's a difference between entering the spirit world physically and spiritually, but I'm still a little confused as to the rules.
I think that if you're there in spirit, you don't gain weight since you're there in an ethereal form, but if you go there physically, you still have a body and the rules of the physical world apply.

Reverend wrote: View Post
Actually, I may be mis-remembering but didn't Koh also dwell is a gnarled, ancient looking tree like the one Vaatu was trapped in?
I don't know, but someone on another board pointed this out. They said it looked like he was trapped in the same tree that Koh lives under.

A prediction... If Raava does in deed have to rejoin with Vaatu, that leaves Korra without an avatar spirit. So what of the avatar? Maybe Korra's spirit on its own will be strong enough to carry the four elements and continue to be the avatar. The training wheels will come off after 10,000 years, so to speak.
Old November 9 2013, 09:42 PM   #322
Christopher
Writer

^Or, both Raava and Vaatu will be joined within the Avatar.

Old November 9 2013, 09:43 PM   #323
RoJoHen
Awesome

I have been kind of hoping that Koh would make an appearance. He should show up and steal Unalaq's face. SOB has it coming.
Old November 9 2013, 09:45 PM   #324
SG-17
Commodore

I am a bit surprised that they included this scene in the episode.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 09:52 PM   #325
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Or, both Raava and Vaatu will be joined within the Avatar.
Then Korra will really have to learn to control her anger.

"The Legend of Korra - Book Three: Anger Management"
Old November 9 2013, 11:10 PM   #326
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Good episode (judged by a non expert )

What i was wondering (and maybe i've missed it) was why Korra couldn't bend yet Unalaq could?

He mentioned she should have entered via a portal so she could bend but Wan bended left and right when he fought Vatu in the two parter.

Can anyone explain this please?

However i really dug the spirits.. reminded me much of Miyazaki movies which i love to death.
Old November 10 2013, 12:58 AM   #327
SG-17
Commodore

FPAlpha wrote: View Post

What i was wondering (and maybe i've missed it) was why Korra couldn't bend yet Unalaq could?

He mentioned she should have entered via a portal so she could bend but Wan bended left and right when he fought Vatu in the two parter.

However i really dug the spirits.. reminded me much of Miyazaki movies which i love to death.
Unalaq (and Wan in Beginnings) entered the Spirit World physically, as such they could bend. Throughout ATLA and this episode, Aang/Korra, and Jenora have only been in the Spirit World, literally, in spirit. Only their essence and consciousness was present (their spirits).

Physically entering the Spirit World changes nothing for humans, as seen by the ability to bend and how Professor Zei starved to death in the Library. Compare this to Iroh and the past Avatars, only their spirits are present in the Spirit World. Their physical bodies left behind on Earth long ago.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 01:06 AM   #328
Reverend
Rear Admiral

[EDIT] ^ Ninja'd
FPAlpha wrote: View Post

Korra didn't physically enter the spirit world, she got there through astral projection or some-such. That's why her body stayed with Tenzin at the Air Temple. This was touched on in the old series as Aang couldn't air bend when he went to see Koh the face stealer.

Unalaq walked through the portal, so he's actually physically there, in body *and* spirit, hence he can still bend.

I think there's also a danger with being separated from one's body for too long, or becoming lost an unable to find the way back. One assumes that if someone dies in the spirit world, the body dies too. Not sure if that's one of the things that interrupts the Avatar cycle or not, but I want to say maybe-probably.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 06:03 AM   #329
JD
Admiral

I really enjoyed this episode. I love the spirit world.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 07:36 AM   #330
Mr Light
Admiral

Another great episode! I can't believe they did a direct sequel to "The Library", that is awesome! I also liked that Korra became a little girl. And Iroh returns!!! Though the backup actor just does not sound good. I miss Mako.

Doesn't this raise a huge issue, though? If a human just decides to go into the Spirit World they become immortal? Assuming you can manage it. Why wouldn't everybody be trying to do this? And if you walk through the physical portal does this also happen? You'd think Unaloq would invade the Spirit World with his tribe or something.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote