Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 9 2013, 06:33 PM   #76
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

kirk55555 wrote: View Post

Other "highly acclaimed" shows include a show about Hal from Malcolm in the Middle being a meth dealer,
I have to stop and speak to this. You and I have been down this road before. Remember the Artist--you kept saying it was dumb, it was stupid, who would make a silent movie, a lot of us kept saying, see it. Watch it.

And then you finally did. And you liked it? Remember that? Because I do.

So, here you are again, calling something stupid, something not worth your time, something that you have NO IDEA what it's like. Just the fact that you call it a show about "Hal" being a meth dealer speaks volumes of your ignorance.

Maybe you should watch the show. Maybe you should watch the show that really is one of the best shows that has been on TV.

Because, right now, you sound completely uninformed. And it's hard to take any of your positions with a modicum of seriousness because you are so completely uninformed.

Try Breaking Bad. If you don't like it, fine. But, at least you are INFORMED.
Old November 9 2013, 06:35 PM   #77
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Since I'm generally unimpressed by what is "acclaimed" nowadays, that doesn't really mean anything. We live in a world were a billion CSI/NCIS/etc shows are some of the highest rated shows. Other "highly acclaimed" shows include a show about Hal from Malcolm in the Middle being a meth dealer, and a show with so much stupid human drama you almost forget it has zombies in it. Its all a matter of personal preference, but I can't think of many "critically acclaimed" shows that were particularly good off the top of my head.
You seem to be conflating "widely watched" and "acclaimed". NCIS, CSI, and The Walking Dead are not critical favourites. They're popular. Breaking Bad (have you actually watched that?), Orange is the New Black, and House of Cards are critically acclaimed.
House of Cards is a political drama (oh, boy, that sounds exciting ) and I can't even figure out what the second show is about (a prison show, maybe? Wikipedia isn't very clear, except that it sounds fairly stupid). I'm sure people like them, but they're not giving me any faith in netflix shows. Now I'm just hoping Daredevil doesn't become a superhero Law & Order, since it seems like Netflix's biggest shows are things that could easily be on right before CSI on TV and make huge numbers from people who like those kind of shows. They sound like things that would make me rather watch The Walking Soap Opera, and I can't say enough how stupid that show is. Of course, people's taste in tV shows is highly subjective, but using those two shows as examples of netflix programming is not exactly filling me with hope for Marvel's stuff.
So...you don't like political dramas, crime thrillers, legal or police procedurals, or soap operas. What do you like, exactly?
Also, having the political drama on DVD doesn't really mean much. Even if netflix allows Marvel to do it, Disney/Marvel were still stupid enough to put shows on netflix, and people like that seem to hate physical media.
What? You've been complaining about how Netflix wouldn't want the shows on DVD. But they are releasing their original programming in that format. So what could possibly be the problem.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 06:50 PM   #78
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
The Netflix deal is being sorely mis-branded. Yes, I know it says there in the description it says but why not just say what this is...Heroes for Hire, guest starring Daredevil.
It's not the Defenders, not in the myriad of permutations that team name has been applied do these 4 characters resemble Defenders. They are Heroes for Hire, with DD doing pro bono assistance.
True, they aren't the names that pop in my head when I think "Defenders":

My Defenders
  1. Dr. Strange- Slated for a solo film, IIRC
  2. Sub-Mariner-Ditto
  3. Hulk-Tied to the Avengers feature
  4. Silver Surfer-Part the FF licence
  5. Nighthawk- C lister, but why not?
  6. Valkyrie-Might be a good tie in to the Thor films
I know right?
Look, as many variations of the name that have existed there are a lot characters that were honorary Defenders for an arc or what have you. Which is where DD falls, he's been an honorary Avenger as well. Heck Luke Cage has been more Avenger than anything the last decade but people who know comics(which is participants in this discussion) have to admit that "honorary" aside the Defenders association isn't even the first or second team group you think of.

Heroes for Hire
Avengers

Those two are.
I will say that The Defenders is a more noble-sounding name than Heroes for Hire. Heroes for Hire, at best, sounds like Jim Rockford asking for his fee up front and, at worst, a strictly mercenary organization that won't save people without money. The Defenders sounds more like they're doing it out of a sense of obligation. The only problem I have with the name is that it sounds too much like the Avengers.
Old November 9 2013, 07:00 PM   #79
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Since I'm generally unimpressed by what is "acclaimed" nowadays, that doesn't really mean anything. We live in a world were a billion CSI/NCIS/etc shows are some of the highest rated shows. Other "highly acclaimed" shows include a show about Hal from Malcolm in the Middle being a meth dealer, and a show with so much stupid human drama you almost forget it has zombies in it. Its all a matter of personal preference, but I can't think of many "critically acclaimed" shows that were particularly good off the top of my head.
You seem to be conflating "widely watched" and "acclaimed". NCIS, CSI, and The Walking Dead are not critical favourites. They're popular. Breaking Bad (have you actually watched that?), Orange is the New Black, and House of Cards are critically acclaimed.
House of Cards is a political drama (oh, boy, that sounds exciting ) and I can't even figure out what the second show is about (a prison show, maybe? Wikipedia isn't very clear, except that it sounds fairly stupid). I'm sure people like them, but they're not giving me any faith in netflix shows. Now I'm just hoping Daredevil doesn't become a superhero Law & Order, since it seems like Netflix's biggest shows are things that could easily be on right before CSI on TV and make huge numbers from people who like those kind of shows. They sound like things that would make me rather watch The Walking Soap Opera, and I can't say enough how stupid that show is. Of course, people's taste in tV shows is highly subjective, but using those two shows as examples of netflix programming is not exactly filling me with hope for Marvel's stuff.
So...you don't like political dramas, crime thrillers, legal or police procedurals, or soap operas. What do you like, exactly?
I can list a few of the shows I like (this will not be a full list, and will only include live action stuff, including cancelled shows and atleast one show that was gone before I was born): House, Arrow, Pawn Stars (its not a story type show obviously, but I watch so much of it it needs to be on the list), Smallville, Big Bang Theory, MASH, Scrubs, The Drew Carey Show, Frasier, Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse, all of the Star Trek shows, Babylon 5/Crusade, and Stargate SG-1,
CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Also, having the political drama on DVD doesn't really mean much. Even if netflix allows Marvel to do it, Disney/Marvel were still stupid enough to put shows on netflix, and people like that seem to hate physical media.
What? You've been complaining about how Netflix wouldn't want the shows on DVD. But they are releasing their original programming in that format. So what could possibly be the problem.
I then went on to mention that, even if netflix allows it, whoever was stupid enough in Disney (or whatever branch of the company) who decided to make Netflix shows instead of real shows is probably someone obsessed with internet stuff, and those people tend to hate physical media like DVD's, so I can easily see these shows never coming to DVD.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

Other "highly acclaimed" shows include a show about Hal from Malcolm in the Middle being a meth dealer,
I have to stop and speak to this. You and I have been down this road before. Remember the Artist--you kept saying it was dumb, it was stupid, who would make a silent movie, a lot of us kept saying, see it. Watch it.

And then you finally did. And you liked it? Remember that? Because I do.

So, here you are again, calling something stupid, something not worth your time, something that you have NO IDEA what it's like. Just the fact that you call it a show about "Hal" being a meth dealer speaks volumes of your ignorance.

Maybe you should watch the show. Maybe you should watch the show that really is one of the best shows that has been on TV.

Because, right now, you sound completely uninformed. And it's hard to take any of your positions with a modicum of seriousness because you are so completely uninformed.

Try Breaking Bad. If you don't like it, fine. But, at least you are INFORMED.
I didn't really mean to say it was stupid. For what it is it could be good, I really don't know. I won't watch a show about drugs. Just like I wouldn't watch a show with a focus on sex (I'm talking TV shows like Lost Girl when I say that just to be clear, shows with sex as a theme but are still around on normal tv). I can handle some shows if they happen to bring those topics up, but not shows based around stuff like that.

I was using Breaking Bad more as an example of a popular show that I have no desire to see. I can not like shows but admit they may not be objectively bad, and Breaking Bad could be one of those. Its different than The artist, because I just didn't want to watch a silent movie. Breaking Bad's whole premise is something I find unwatchable. I have thought about watching it a few times (the library has all of the released seasons, so it wouldn't cost anything) but I just can't watch a drug show. It just has a topic I hate and won't watch shows about, I wasn't really trying to beat up the show. That said, I do stand by my Walking Dead comments.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 07:05 PM   #80
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I think it's really a brilliant move - since a) as long as you can get Netflix you can watch the shows whenever - which means that you don't need to worry about waiting for Hulu or ABC.com - plus if they do it like they did their other Netflix shows, we're looking at like a season of TV coming at us all at once. b) They can be a bit more PG-13/R if they wanted to - I doubt they will - but like Luke Cage - honestly the man was originally Blaxploitation fodder. So even if they have him drop a rare motherfucker line - it won't be that shocking. Plus I'm sure SLJ would love to show up and drop a motherfucker line himself in character as Nick Fury. c) Its not dependent on ratings. You won't get a half season of say Jessica Jones just because the ratings weren't where the network wanted it because Dancing With the Stars or Football or something political interrupted its airings and they just look at the ratings being 'dismal'.

Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones are plenty for a 'test the waters' plus if they get enough buzz then maybe they'll feel better green lighting an actual cinematic movie with them later on - or including them in Agents of SHIELD or another Marvel Studios movie.

I wouldn't mind a proper Ghost Rider series on the level of say something like Supernatural mixed with a bit of say Knight Rider. Loner going around trying to do good but fighting super natural baddies. Personally I'd totally back someone like Charlie Hunnam from Sons of Anarchy/Pacific Rim as a younger Johnny Blaze. Or just do the whole Spirits of Vengeance thing with Charlie as a 'retired' former Ghost Rider and someone as Dan Ketch's Ghost Rider and they basically adapt the old Spirits of Vengeance comics from the early 90s
Old November 9 2013, 07:26 PM   #81
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I then went on to mention that, even if netflix allows it, whoever was stupid enough in Disney (or whatever branch of the company) who decided to make Netflix shows instead of real shows is probably someone obsessed with internet stuff, and those people tend to hate physical media like DVD's, so I can easily see these shows never coming to DVD.
Wow, that's quite a collection of unsupportable assertions. Bringing shows to Netflix is an attempt to pioneer an expanding method of content distribution. And the idea that Disney would pass completely on a major revenue stream is silly.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 07:48 PM   #82
Pavonis
Commodore

...I just hope this experiment fails quickly, so they can get back to more traditional stuff. I'd honestly rather have failure than good shows anyway, because I sure as hell don't want this to become popular, screwing over people by putting shows on netflix....
Such an odd attitude. "Traditional stuff" is on the decline. On-demand viewing of entertainment is the future. Netflix is not going away, and even if these shows "fail", the economic model of traditional television broadcasting is dying and won't be revived.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 07:51 PM   #83
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I didn't really mean to say it was stupid. For what it is it could be good, I really don't know. I won't watch a show about drugs. Just like I wouldn't watch a show with a focus on sex (I'm talking TV shows like Lost Girl when I say that just to be clear, shows with sex as a theme but are still around on normal tv). I can handle some shows if they happen to bring those topics up, but not shows based around stuff like that.

I was using Breaking Bad more as an example of a popular show that I have no desire to see. I can not like shows but admit they may not be objectively bad, and Breaking Bad could be one of those. Its different than The artist, because I just didn't want to watch a silent movie. Breaking Bad's whole premise is something I find unwatchable. I have thought about watching it a few times (the library has all of the released seasons, so it wouldn't cost anything) but I just can't watch a drug show. It just has a topic I hate and won't watch shows about, I wasn't really trying to beat up the show. That said, I do stand by my Walking Dead comments.
Do you think you're supporting the drug trade or prostitution if you watch shows about those subjects? Or that the shows are some kind of gateway to becoming addicted to drugs/sex?
Old November 9 2013, 07:54 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
I think it's really a brilliant move - since a) as long as you can get Netflix you can watch the shows whenever - which means that you don't need to worry about waiting for Hulu or ABC.com - plus if they do it like they did their other Netflix shows, we're looking at like a season of TV coming at us all at once.
That's how they did their other original shows? Just posted the whole season at once, like they do when they add an old series' season set to their streaming service?

That would mean we could watch the episodes whenever we wanted and not have to wait a week for the next episode. Plus I assume there are no commercials -- and being free of the tyranny of commercial-funded broadcasting is bound to be cretaively liberating. And lots of TVs these days actually get Netflix and let you watch on TV rather than on a computer monitor. So that seems like a pretty good approach. And it, or something like it, is probably the wave of the future.

c) Its not dependent on ratings. You won't get a half season of say Jessica Jones just because the ratings weren't where the network wanted it because Dancing With the Stars or Football or something political interrupted its airings and they just look at the ratings being 'dismal'.
True. And conversely it's good for Netflix too, since securing a property this big is bound to draw in a lot more viewers/subscribers and improve the odds of the project's success.

Although Netflix seems to have a surprising amount of original programming already. It's close to being competitive with the networks for the amount of original content it provides.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 08:16 PM   #85
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

The one oddity in this Netflix + Marvel news is that Disney is a co-owner in Hulu. Going with Netflix suggests that Disney does not have faith that Hulu can be a genuine Netflix competitor, regardless of what original programming the former has.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that Disney simply wants to limit the number of parties with which it would need to share profits from these shows (presumably, the other Hulu co-owners would get a piece of the pie if Disney had gone that route).
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 08:23 PM   #86
Alidar Jarok

Wasn't there some big news about Disney signing a contract with Netflix not that long ago? It was big news because it was happening at a time that others were pulling their programming.
Old November 9 2013, 08:28 PM   #87
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Good point; I had forgotten about that when I typed the other post.

Disney signed an exclusivity contract with Netflix for the television-window release of their films. I forget when that is supposed to start (or did already?), but it's probably mentioned in the first article link to the news about these series. It does make sense from that perspective, though it still gives me a little shrug as to Disney intentionally putting obstacles in the path of a service they co-own.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 09:28 PM   #88
theenglish
Rear Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
The one oddity in this Netflix + Marvel news is that Disney is a co-owner in Hulu. Going with Netflix suggests that Disney does not have faith that Hulu can be a genuine Netflix competitor, regardless of what original programming the former has.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that Disney simply wants to limit the number of parties with which it would need to share profits from these shows (presumably, the other Hulu co-owners would get a piece of the pie if Disney had gone that route).
Netflix is international, Hulu is US only. Wider distribution with Netflix.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 09:48 PM   #89
Alidar Jarok

Good point; I had forgotten about that when I typed the other post.

Disney signed an exclusivity contract with Netflix for the television-window release of their films. I forget when that is supposed to start (or did already?), but it's probably mentioned in the first article link to the news about these series. It does make sense from that perspective, though it still gives me a little shrug as to Disney intentionally putting obstacles in the path of a service they co-own.
Do they have a controlling interest in Hulu or are they more hedging their bets?
Old November 9 2013, 10:05 PM   #90
cylkoth
Commodore

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Wasn't there some big news about Disney signing a contract with Netflix not that long ago? It was big news because it was happening at a time that others were pulling their programming.
Disney signed an exclusivity contract with Netflix for the television-window release of their films. I forget when that is supposed to start (or did already?)
The deal Disney signed with Netflix, gives Netflix the ''pay tv'' window for current theatrical films from all of Disney's production enties, starting in 2016, plus access to library titles (older films) which began at the end of December. Starz currently holds the license to current Disney movies until then. They lost the library titles back in December.

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

Do they have a controlling interest in Hulu or are they more hedging their bets?
Hulu is owned by (News Corp)Fox, Comcast/NBC, and Disney (plus another non media company). It's run as an independent company, that receives financial backing from the partners.