TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 27 2013, 05:57 AM   #16
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile
Re: Shuttles

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Of course, taken out of context like that most of Trek reads like TNG season 8. Those novels were great reads, especially Indistinguishable From Magic.
Hey, the TNG Season 8 where there's a duplicate Enterprise with a duplicate crew that's a nanite/Borg evolutionary breakthrough was a pretty solid A plot. The B plot was kind of dopey, though.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 01:13 PM   #17
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
Voyager managed it just fine. They built their super shuttle in the space of a single episode, and unless they had like 50 plus shuttles crammed in every nook and cranny of the ship, they were rebuilding those things non-stop.
As I recall the episode where they first build the Delta Flyer, while some components were replicated, most of it was from off the shelf stores.

Voyager lost ten shuttles (and one Delta Flyer) in seven years, with another seven not destroyed but likely unrecoverable.

We did see them engage in trade, so it's possible that they contracted out component manufacture, and did the final assemble themselves. This would minimize information transfer and violation of the prime directive.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yeah, let's not mention Voyager. They abandoned the "limited energy and resources" idea pretty damn fast.
They never rescinded the rationing of the replicator through to the end of the series.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 01:26 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

Shuttles are as durable as the plot depands.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 04:42 PM   #19
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Takeru wrote: View Post
F0under wrote: View Post
And if ya go by the novels, Scotty gets back to Earth, becomes a host of a bar, and winds up in charge of Starfleet's Corps of Engineers before gettin' command of a Galaxy class starship.
It's fanficcy crap like this that makes me dislike the novels.
Well, the novels have used Scotty pretty randomly, and some of it was pretty dumb, but him bein' the fleet liaison between the Corps of Engineers and Starfleet Command admirals makes sense, all things considered.

The best way Scotty was put to use in the 24th century was in the S.C.E. series.
Old October 28 2013, 05:45 PM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Scotty getting his own ship? Man you know they pretty much found the most responsible and sober person ever to be his XO and basically told him he's in charge.
Old October 28 2013, 11:10 PM   #21
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

The crew was a bit fan fiction - y, in that Geordi got temporary reassignment from the Big E-E and served as Scotty's first officer. Nog was also on the crew, along with a Klingon Defense Force pilot with a reckless driving record.
Old November 9 2013, 07:47 PM   #22
publiusr
Rear Admiral

I have warmed to the El Baz shuttlepod over the years to where I really love it.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 07:58 PM   #23
JessDD
Lieutenant

Runabouts were just really, really big shuttles and they could do warp 5, and have torpedo attachments and the like. I remember reading the in TNG technical manual that some shuttles could do Warp 2 or 4 or the like.
Old November 9 2013, 11:05 PM   #24
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

publiusr wrote: View Post
I have warmed to the El Baz shuttlepod over the years to where I really love it.
The Plymouth Horizon/Shuttle pods were just complete jokes.
Old November 11 2013, 03:36 AM   #25
F. King Daniel
Admiral

JessDD wrote: View Post
Runabouts were just really, really big shuttles and they could do warp 5, and have torpedo attachments and the like. I remember reading the in TNG technical manual that some shuttles could do Warp 2 or 4 or the like.
Voyager's shuttles managed warp 9 without so much as breaking a sweat (one managed warp 10 twice... but we don't talk about that episode). I guess Starfleet lumped Picard with some obsolete models
Old November 11 2013, 04:23 PM   #26
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Voyager's shuttles managed warp 9 without so much as breaking a sweat (one managed warp 10 twice... but we don't talk about that episode). I guess Starfleet lumped Picard with some obsolete models
Which is why Voyager was stupid. For a shuttle to operate at Warp 9 without a meaningful warp core is stupid.
Old November 11 2013, 07:11 PM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

You know.. lizards or not, why didn't they just use that warp 10 to get home? The doctor reversed it easy enough.

Or send the Doctor back as a messanger saying "Hey, we're fine."
Old November 11 2013, 07:29 PM   #28
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

R. Star wrote: View Post
You know.. lizards or not, why didn't they just use that warp 10 to get home? The doctor reversed it easy enough.

Or send the Doctor back as a messanger saying "Hey, we're fine."
The show suffered heavily from Gilligan's Island Syndrome.
Old November 12 2013, 08:19 PM   #29
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Which is why Voyager was stupid. For a shuttle to operate at Warp 9 without a meaningful warp core is stupid.
Yay miniaturization! In Nemesis they had a transporter the size of a rank pip. Welcome to the future of the future.
Old November 13 2013, 02:08 AM   #30
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Yay miniaturization! In Nemesis they had a transporter the size of a rank pip. Welcome to the future of the future.
Yeah, don't get me started on that.