Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 9 2013, 02:13 AM   #106
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness and the 4th wall

Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:17 AM   #107
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness whnand the 4th wall

BigJake wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The line about Vulcans lying is from The Enterprise Incident.

SPOCK: It is no myth.
It's a key element in the Romulans buying into the ruse Kirk and Spock have set up.
Right. In which case cf. earlier comment in re: "Vulcans never speculate" and "Vulcans never bluff."

Spock quite obviously prefers to deal with fact, but does mess with people whenever it is logical to do so. "It is no myth... [suckers]." That's interesting but it doesn't really qualify as a breach in emotional reserve, which I generally take to be far and away the bigger deal in terms of Vulcan makeup.
But its not a throw away line as you presumed but as I said a key element. Lying and deception are not as foreign to Vulcans as some fan think. While they might do so for "logical" reasons, they are also self serving and for "king and country".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:21 AM   #108
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote:
But its not a throw away line as you presumed but as I said a key element.
Key element to the story, but it doesn't seem meant to establish the inability to lie as a second pillar of Vulcan-ness and I've certainly never been one of the fans who thought lying and deception were foreign to Vulcans. The emotional reserve criterion is the only real "universal" such as it is that I know of.
Old November 9 2013, 02:39 AM   #109
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote:
Key element to the story, but it doesn't seem meant to establish the inability to lie as a second pillar of Vulcan-ness and I've certainly never been one of the fans who thought lying and deception were foreign to Vulcans. The emotional reserve criterion is the only real "universal" such as it is that I know of.
The Two Commandments are more of fannish misconception than pillars of Vulcan Society. That writers like to play with these show why they're misconceptions. Yes, Vulcans are emotionally reserved, but it's not an unbreakable reserve. As most Spock-centric episodes show.

The Vulcan Inquisition wrote:
Our three weapons are emotional reserve, pedantry, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to logic.... Our four...no... amongst our weapons.... amongst our weaponry...are such elements as emotional reserve, pedantry.... I'll come in again.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old November 9 2013, 02:53 AM   #110
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote:
We can't reliably infer "universals" from what we get in canon. Before ENT, we met few Vulcans: Spock, Sarek, Tuvok, and occasional guests with small roles. Very small sample.

From ENT I got the impression that Vulcans are logical in the same way Klingons are honorable: it's a cultural value and everybody invokes the word a lot, but few truly understand it and excel in its application. Spock embodies Vulcan values the way Worf embodies Klingon values, and neither one is typical of the general population of their worlds.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:58 AM   #111
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote:
We can't reliably infer "universals" from what we get in canon. Before ENT, we met few Vulcans: Spock, Sarek, Tuvok, and occasional guests with small roles. Very small sample.

From ENT I got the impression that Vulcans are logical in the same way Klingons are honorable: it's a cultural value and everybody invokes the word a lot, but few truly understand it and excel in its application. Spock embodies Vulcan values the way Worf embodies Klingon values, and neither one is typical of the general population of their worlds.
Both tend to over emphasize their "alieness" when around humans.
Old November 9 2013, 03:08 AM   #112
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The Vulcan Inquisition wrote:
Our three weapons are emotional reserve, pedantry, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to logic.... Our four...no... amongst our weapons.... amongst our weaponry...are such elements as emotional reserve, pedantry.... I'll come in again.
TAKE TWO: Our chief weapon is emotional reserve. That's all, just reserve. Yes, alright, reserve and pedantry... shut up!
Old November 9 2013, 04:40 AM   #113
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
Accordingly, I've read that this sort of thing is referred to as leaning on the fourth wall, not breaking it.
Having an actor's eyeline play just off to one side of the lens in a tight closeup is SOP for cinematography. The closer to actor's eyeline to the lens if commonly called "intimacy". There's nothing at all unusual about the shot of Bones here for film of almost any period, period.
I was referring to what King Daniel Into Darkness was talking about, which was not just the eyeline but the whole scene, including, if not most especially, the dialog. McCoy finally got the last word when? At the end of an episode?!? That McCoy is looking off at whatever he's focusing on, that probably doesn't even really exist in-universe, is, relative to the dialog involved, just the cherry on top.

It's the implied reference to the episodic structure that makes it leaning on the fourth wall, but since there's still "plausible deniability" as it were, in that, despite the implied reference, one could suppose that in-universe McCoy just means he's getting the last word in at all rather than at the end of an episode, this isn't breaking the wall.

edit - I have no question that you're right that McCoy is not looking directly at the viewer. The eyeline certainly seems to be an example of intimacy, as you say, but the added dimension suggested by the dialog would seem to me to suggest an intention by the director to tease the viewer with a dose of double meaning.

Last edited by CorporalCaptain; November 9 2013 at 05:18 AM.
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 04:50 AM   #114
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Captrek wrote: View Post
OMG!!!

Old November 9 2013, 05:16 AM   #115
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I've still not seen the film.

For a true example of breaking the fourth wall, watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off and see how many times Ferris talks directly to the camera.

There are also notable examples in Airplane! and Top Secret!

Sometimes a scene intended to be serious can become so self aware, it can pull a viewer out of the moment. But that's not breaking the fourth wall. Based on comments here and elsewhere on the board, I suspect that's what's happening in Into Darkness, given its deliberate parallel to TWOK.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)

Last edited by Melakon; November 9 2013 at 05:36 AM.
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 04:59 PM   #116
MakeshiftPython
Captain

It's more like flirting with the fourth wall. Sometimes it works if you do it right, especially with a humorous approach. With Khan's dramatic reveal? It's definitely comedic, unintentionally. I think they should have done it in the reverse. Spock asks Kirk to come check something out on the computer. Kirk looks shocked, they look at each other thinking the same thing. Cut to Kirk walking in the brig. The camera focuses on Khan, with Kirk in the background out of focus saying "I know who you are... Khan Noonien Singh", then we see Khan's face change. And just to let audiences know why it's a big deal, Bones doesn't know and asks why everyone is so shocked ("I'm a doctor, not a historian") and Kirk lays down the whole backrgound on Khan being the most notorious of all Earth's tyrants.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:31 PM   #117
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post
OMG!!!

Unfunny.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:41 PM   #118
MakeshiftPython
Captain