Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 5 4.67%
A 31 28.97%
A- 24 22.43%
B+ 21 19.63%
B 11 10.28%
B- 9 8.41%
C+ 6 5.61%
C 0 0%
C- 0 0%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9 2013, 02:44 AM   #16
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Re: THOR: THE DARK WORLD - Grading & Discussion

To me, one of the strongest points of this movie is that it combines both fantastical and sci-fi elements in the way it shows the battle scenes in Asgard and other worlds. The realms are like a combination of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, with sort of medieval and high-tech warfare.
Old November 9 2013, 03:09 AM   #17
CaptainCanada
Admiral

A-.

Malekith isn't a very developed villain, but I don't think the one from the comics is either; he's a classic myth villain. He wants to destroy the universe, because that's the sort of thing a Dark Elf instinctively wants to do.

The film has great action, terrific design, and effective humour. It also probably has a few too many supporting characters, but that's nothing new. It's also a bit unfortunate that Frigga was in the first movie so little, because the biggest emotional aspect of the film would work better if that had been the case.

Also, Sir Anthony seemed kind of bored to me.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:24 AM   #18
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I just got back from the movie and I enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, parts of it dragged and the main villain was woefully underdeveloped.

-Asgard is finally opened up and it's one of the highlights of the movie. It was cool seeing the other realms and having Thor and Malekith realm-hop really helped the final battle stand out.

-Chris Hemsworth once again nails it as Thor.

-Tom Hiddleston once again steals the show. He dominates every scene that's Loki swerves and swerves you never know what you're going to get from him. The reveal at the end was pretty awesome. Loki remains the only memorable villain in these recent Marvel movies.

-Which brings us to the villains. I've been a fan of Christopher Eccleston since I watched the first series of Doctor Who but they gave him absolutely NOTHING here. His henchman fares better here but the Dark Elfs are are woefully underdeveloped. I hear their scenes were cut to include more Loki. It was the right decision but I still wish they could have done a better job with the villains. Having Makekith get his butt kick by Thor's mom and reciting most of his lines in an alien language did him no favors either.

-Anthony Hopkins was good but really seemed to be showing his age at times. The Thor/Odin conflict works as Odin can be a prick sometimes.

-I was glad they gave Rene Russo more to do but sadly Frigga ended up getting fridged. But it did give the movie an emotional kick.

-I'm glad they gave Jane more to do in the story, which was lacking in the first movie. Natalie Portman is fine but the Thor/Jane relationship really pales in comparison to Tony/Pepper and Cap/Peggy. Her opening sequence is one of the scenes that dragged in the movie.

-Speaking of having more to do, I'm so glad that Idris Elba's role as Haimdell was expanded. He was awesome in the movie.

-Loved seeing Thor lead Sif, The Warriors Three, and the Asgardians into battle. I wish we could have seen more of them.

-Jane is okay but I don't see how Thor can have no interest whatsoever in Sif.

-Finally, the Captain America cameo was a brilliant little moment. I was also happy Marvel showed a scene from the upcoming Captain America movie.

Last edited by DarthPipes; November 9 2013 at 05:37 AM.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:31 AM   #19
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I see Josh Dallas has been replaced by another actor. I can understand, seeing as he's no doubt committed to his show Once Upon A Time.
Old November 9 2013, 05:35 AM   #20
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^Yeah, it's Zachary Levi from "Chuck".
Old November 9 2013, 05:37 AM   #21
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I didn't recognize Levi until the end credits.

Last edited by Gryffindorian; November 9 2013 at 05:54 AM.
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:52 AM   #22
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I saw it. Not as good as the first Thor movie, but it had its righteous moments. The visuals were simply amazing.

What I thought was lacking was a more developed tension between Sif and Thor. We know that Sif will always be on Thor's side, no matter what, but I would have liked to have found out more about her character. In particular, I would have liked to have seen her gain Jane's trust. Thankfully, the relationship between Frigga and Jane was explored. I'm glad that Loki was showcased as much as he was. Ditto for Heimdall. The funeral was beautiful.

On the downside, the Aether threat reminded me too much of Parallax in the Green Lantern film: a colored fluid flowing through space. I did not want to be reminded of that sadly unrewatchable piece of crap, and I would have appreciated it, if the Thor crew had been able to come up with some other form for the manifestation.

I thought getting back with the car keys was way too easy and convenient. Even if the portals all exited near each other because of portal affinity or whatever, at least Thor and Jane should have had to go looking for what they'd figured out was a nearby portal.

Somehow, this lacked the emotional punch of the first film.

B+.

The Cap trailer was freaking amazing.
Old November 9 2013, 05:57 AM   #23
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I liked the trailer for X-Men: Days of Future Past. Can't wait for it next year.

In fact, most of the other trailers were geektastic! Looking forward to The Desolation of Smaug!
Old November 9 2013, 06:07 AM   #24
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

My theater had no X-Men or Hobbit trailer.
Old November 9 2013, 06:14 AM   #25
CaptainCanada
Admiral

We had The Hobbit: Part 2, Anchorman 2, and we got the trailer for Captain America 2 twice, for some reason.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 07:46 AM   #26
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I've been going to Regal Cinemas in my area because I got a ton of gift cards for that theater last year. Anyway, the other trailers included an Ice Cube comedy, the new Jack Ryan film starring Chris Pine, Robocop, and one other title I can't remember at the moment.
Old November 9 2013, 09:19 AM   #27
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
It's not perfect, but I had a great time. Certainly a major improvement on the first (and I rather like that one.) It delivered on the epic sci-fi/fantasy action spectacle that I felt the first film was really lacking. Lots of great humor as well, especially from Loki. He really walks away with the movie. I hope the powers that be at Marvel realize what a gem they have with Hiddleston as Loki. They should continue to insert him anywhere it's practical to do so.

On the downside, Malekith is rather shallow as a villain. He doesn't have much to do other than be the threat. This is especially disappointing with Christopher Eccleston playing him. I really wish he had been more engaging.

As for the stinger, this one is problematic. Anybody without the requisite comic book knowledge is just going to be completely confused. It doesn't help that the thing is so awkwardly filmed, and doesn't mesh at all with the tone or style of the film that preceded it. So in the MCU the Tesseract and the Aether are Infinity Gems? I assume they're going to change form once applied to a certain gauntlet.
why would guardians of the galaxy match tonally with a thor movie, or any other movie thus far. its a cosmic marvel movie. it was different intentionally. OPEN YOUR MIND TO NEW AND BETTER THINGS. that scene was fantastic.
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 03:11 PM   #28
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Of course it wouldn't. This isn't Guardians of the Galaxy, though. This is Thor. The scene doesn't fit and makes no sense whatsoever without already having the knowledge that it's setting up GotG. All of the previous stingers have at least felt like they were part of the same movie.
Old November 9 2013, 03:17 PM   #29
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
we got the trailer for Captain America 2 twice, for some reason.
Was it the extended trailer with the elevator scene?
Old November 9 2013, 04:28 PM   #30
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

We got the elevator scene, along with a newish trailer of Captain America The Winter Soldier. We didn't see the villain until the end.

The Collector thing was weird. He reminded me of a silly-looking Doctor Who villain. It's one of those scenes only someone familiar with the comics would know. And it has the heroes again being fooled by someone.

The Sif/Jane thing seemed to be another subplot that got lost in the editing room.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote