RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,168
Posts: 5,435,122
Members: 24,937
Currently online: 504
Newest member: bryanb2014

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 9 2013, 02:30 AM   #16
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: New Ms. Marvel

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Randomly deciding a character is now gay, or black, or handicapped is not groundbreaking. How about dipping a little bit into what that identity actually means?
Since the writer is Muslim and a woman, I've feeling she just might be "dipping a little bit into what that identity actually means". Might be less random than you think.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:38 AM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: New Ms. Marvel

Religion almost never impacts on a characters motives or decisions in Marvel Comics.

It's an award winning female Muslim author writing about a female Muslim character.

That makes it more about niche than exploitation or titillation.

Does anyone for a second think that Ben Grimm is kosher?

Is Nightcrawler against condoms?

here's a list....

Some Top Super-Heroes

Superman
Methodist

Spider-Man
Protestant

Batman
Episcopalian/Catholic (lapsed)

Wonder Woman
Greco-Roman Classical Religion

Aquaman
Greco-Roman Classical Religion

The Hulk
Catholic (lapsed)

Captain America
Protestant

Invisible Woman
Episcopalian

Nightcrawler
Catholic

Shadowcat
Jewish

Daredevil
Catholic

Hawkman
Egyptian classical religion

The Thing
Jewish

The Atom
Jewish (lapsed)

Zatanna
Dianic Wiccan

Elektra
Greek Orthodox

Oh look! Wonder Woman and Aquaman could carpool to church together.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:38 AM   #18
Gov Karnstein
Admiral
 
Gov Karnstein's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: New Ms. Marvel

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
And will failure be due to being conservative, a feminist, a Muslim, or a woman?
A failure to delve into any of those - and their interaction - on any meaningful level.
Delve into what? She's not a white, male, Christian, what's to delve into unless being not so is somehow strange or not a character the audience can understand? It might be normal to be a woman, a Muslim woman, or just not white, male, and Christian? That's just crazy talk, ain't it?
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:51 AM   #19
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: New Ms. Marvel

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Oh look! Wonder Woman and Aquaman could carpool to church together.
It's called a temple.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:51 AM   #20
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: New Ms. Marvel

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/11/05/T...spt=fsb&or=ros

Seems doomed to failure. The writer doesn't even see or exploit the conflict between someone from an extremely conservative background using the feminist title "Ms." Be prepared for shallow, superficial treatment.
WTH? The only reason she's being called Ms. is because she idolizes Carol Danvers, it has nothing to do with feminism.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 03:02 AM   #21
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: New Ms. Marvel

So I'm assuming we are looking 6 years later from when a 10 year old had Ms. Marvel posters all over her bedroom walls. If Carol was still using the name presently, would this noob have adopted it? There are two Hawkeyes, and what's with that kid running around calling himself Powerman right in front of Luke Cage after Luke had to beat the shit out of Goliath to earn it... it's funny how Hank Pym never bothers to stop supervillains from taking his costumed identities. What the hells up with that?

Oh god.

It's a question of necessity.

Being a child with no money (Spider-Man's costume still makes no sense.) Kamala goes through her wardrobe only to find an old halloween costume to use as her super hero costume after the shit hits the fan in the second act.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 03:21 AM   #22
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: New Ms. Marvel

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Which isn't remotely notable now. "Ms." is the standard form of address.
To me this is like saying Bruce Wayne's parent's getting killed is irrelevant to the current iteration of the character.
How? Your parents dying is always (one would hope) going to be an important part of your backstory. Calling yourself "Ms." is not in any way notable today.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 04:20 AM   #23
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: New Ms. Marvel

The actual change is that in the 40's when they died, the Waynes were millionaires, in the 90s they were billionaires, and it's not going to be soon from now if not yesterday that Thomas and Martha Wayne were trillionaires when they bought the farm.

It's just a question of if "Batman" Squandered the fortune more than Lucius Fox grew the families wealth.

Just something to remember: Alfred was Bruce's Legal Guardian, which means that he might have been in charge of the Wayne Fortune till Bruce turned 18 or 21 depending on how the trust was written.

If the Waynes were only Millionaires when they died in present day, the family business was most likely a chain of laundry mats or something else equally as middle class.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 04:27 AM   #24
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: New Ms. Marvel

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The actual change is that in the 40's when they died, the Waynes were millionaires, in the 90s they were billionaires, and it's not going to be soon from now if not yesterday that Thomas and Martha Wayne were trillionaires when they bought the farm.

It's just a question of if "Batman" Squandered the fortune more than Lucius Fox grew the families wealth.

Just something to remember: Alfred was Bruce's Legal Guardian, which means that he might have been in charge of the Wayne Fortune till Bruce turned 18 or 21 depending on how the trust was written.

If the Waynes were only Millionaires when they died in present day, the family business was most likely a chain of laundry mats or something else equally as middle class.
Uncle Philip ran things.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 04:54 AM   #25
Gov Karnstein
Admiral
 
Gov Karnstein's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: New Ms. Marvel

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The actual change is that in the 40's when they died, the Waynes were millionaires, in the 90s they were billionaires, and it's not going to be soon from now if not yesterday that Thomas and Martha Wayne were trillionaires when they bought the farm.

It's just a question of if "Batman" Squandered the fortune more than Lucius Fox grew the families wealth.

Just something to remember: Alfred was Bruce's Legal Guardian, which means that he might have been in charge of the Wayne Fortune till Bruce turned 18 or 21 depending on how the trust was written.

If the Waynes were only Millionaires when they died in present day, the family business was most likely a chain of laundry mats or something else equally as middle class.
Uncle Philip ran things.
Or Batsy finds out his folks laundromats were a front for the mob.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:01 AM   #26
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: New Ms. Marvel

So did that make Kathy his sister?

http://www.comicvine.com/philip-kane/4005-88025/

Martha Kane?

I really should read some Batwoman.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:04 AM   #27
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: New Ms. Marvel

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
There is nothing "groundbreaking" about a Muslim character.
That's true. Come on, just consider HOW MANY Muslim Characters there are in main stream comics. They are represented ALL over the place. We already have that one Green Lantern in DC...
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:14 AM   #28
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: New Ms. Marvel

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
So did that make Kathy his sister?

http://www.comicvine.com/philip-kane/4005-88025/

Martha Kane?

I really should read some Batwoman.
I am unsure of if/how Martha's family is related the Kanes in Batwoman.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:14 AM   #29
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: New Ms. Marvel

^They are. There was a picture of the twins in Philip's office in Year Zero.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
That's true. Come on, just consider HOW MANY Muslim Characters there are in main stream comics. They are represented ALL over the place. We already have that one Green Lantern in DC...
There is also Nightrunner who was part of Batman Inc. He was certainly better than Green Lantern imo.
Hound of UIster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:18 AM   #30
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: New Ms. Marvel

So Bruce and Kate are cousins of some sort?
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.