Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 9 2013, 02:30 AM   #16
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: New Ms. Marvel

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Randomly deciding a character is now gay, or black, or handicapped is not groundbreaking. How about dipping a little bit into what that identity actually means?
Since the writer is Muslim and a woman, I've feeling she just might be "dipping a little bit into what that identity actually means". Might be less random than you think.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:38 AM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Religion almost never impacts on a characters motives or decisions in Marvel Comics.

It's an award winning female Muslim author writing about a female Muslim character.

That makes it more about niche than exploitation or titillation.

Does anyone for a second think that Ben Grimm is kosher?

Is Nightcrawler against condoms?

here's a list....

Some Top Super-Heroes

Superman
Methodist

Spider-Man
Protestant

Batman
Episcopalian/Catholic (lapsed)

Wonder Woman
Greco-Roman Classical Religion

Aquaman
Greco-Roman Classical Religion

The Hulk
Catholic (lapsed)

Captain America
Protestant

Invisible Woman
Episcopalian

Nightcrawler
Catholic

Shadowcat
Jewish

Daredevil
Catholic

Hawkman
Egyptian classical religion

The Thing
Jewish

The Atom
Jewish (lapsed)

Zatanna
Dianic Wiccan

Elektra
Greek Orthodox

Oh look! Wonder Woman and Aquaman could carpool to church together.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:38 AM   #18
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
And will failure be due to being conservative, a feminist, a Muslim, or a woman?
A failure to delve into any of those - and their interaction - on any meaningful level.
Delve into what? She's not a white, male, Christian, what's to delve into unless being not so is somehow strange or not a character the audience can understand? It might be normal to be a woman, a Muslim woman, or just not white, male, and Christian? That's just crazy talk, ain't it?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:51 AM   #19
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Oh look! Wonder Woman and Aquaman could carpool to church together.
It's called a temple.
Old November 9 2013, 02:51 AM   #20
JD
Admiral

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/11/05/T...spt=fsb&or=ros

Seems doomed to failure. The writer doesn't even see or exploit the conflict between someone from an extremely conservative background using the feminist title "Ms." Be prepared for shallow, superficial treatment.
WTH? The only reason she's being called Ms. is because she idolizes Carol Danvers, it has nothing to do with feminism.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 03:02 AM   #21
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So I'm assuming we are looking 6 years later from when a 10 year old had Ms. Marvel posters all over her bedroom walls. If Carol was still using the name presently, would this noob have adopted it? There are two Hawkeyes, and what's with that kid running around calling himself Powerman right in front of Luke Cage after Luke had to beat the shit out of Goliath to earn it... it's funny how Hank Pym never bothers to stop supervillains from taking his costumed identities. What the hells up with that?

Oh god.

It's a question of necessity.

Being a child with no money (Spider-Man's costume still makes no sense.) Kamala goes through her wardrobe only to find an old halloween costume to use as her super hero costume after the shit hits the fan in the second act.

Old November 9 2013, 03:21 AM   #22
CaptainCanada
Admiral

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Which isn't remotely notable now. "Ms." is the standard form of address.
To me this is like saying Bruce Wayne's parent's getting killed is irrelevant to the current iteration of the character.
How? Your parents dying is always (one would hope) going to be an important part of your backstory. Calling yourself "Ms." is not in any way notable today.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 04:20 AM   #23
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The actual change is that in the 40's when they died, the Waynes were millionaires, in the 90s they were billionaires, and it's not going to be soon from now if not yesterday that Thomas and Martha Wayne were trillionaires when they bought the farm.

It's just a question of if "Batman" Squandered the fortune more than Lucius Fox grew the families wealth.

Just something to remember: Alfred was Bruce's Legal Guardian, which means that he might have been in charge of the Wayne Fortune till Bruce turned 18 or 21 depending on how the trust was written.

If the Waynes were only Millionaires when they died in present day, the family business was most likely a chain of laundry mats or something else equally as middle class.

Old November 9 2013, 04:27 AM   #24
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

The actual change is that in the 40's when they died, the Waynes were millionaires, in the 90s they were billionaires, and it's not going to be soon from now if not yesterday that Thomas and Martha Wayne were trillionaires when they bought the farm.

It's just a question of if "Batman" Squandered the fortune more than Lucius Fox grew the families wealth.

Just something to remember: Alfred was Bruce's Legal Guardian, which means that he might have been in charge of the Wayne Fortune till Bruce turned 18 or 21 depending on how the trust was written.

If the Waynes were only Millionaires when they died in present day, the family business was most likely a chain of laundry mats or something else equally as middle class.
Uncle Philip ran things.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old November 9 2013, 04:54 AM   #25
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

Uncle Philip ran things.
Or Batsy finds out his folks laundromats were a front for the mob.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:01 AM   #26
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So did that make Kathy his sister?

http://www.comicvine.com/philip-kane/4005-88025/

Martha Kane?

I really should read some Batwoman.

Old November 9 2013, 05:04 AM   #27
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

There is nothing "groundbreaking" about a Muslim character.
That's true. Come on, just consider HOW MANY Muslim Characters there are in main stream comics. They are represented ALL over the place. We already have that one Green Lantern in DC...
Old November 9 2013, 05:14 AM   #28
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

So did that make Kathy his sister?

http://www.comicvine.com/philip-kane/4005-88025/

Martha Kane?

I really should read some Batwoman.
I am unsure of if/how Martha's family is related the Kanes in Batwoman.
Old November 9 2013, 05:14 AM   #29
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

^They are. There was a picture of the twins in Philip's office in Year Zero.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
That's true. Come on, just consider HOW MANY Muslim Characters there are in main stream comics. They are represented ALL over the place. We already have that one Green Lantern in DC...
There is also Nightrunner who was part of Batman Inc. He was certainly better than Green Lantern imo.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:18 AM   #30
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

So Bruce and Kate are cousins of some sort?