Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 3 2013, 12:20 AM   #16
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Re: "The Star Wars" Comic Official Discussion Thread

Janus VI wrote: View Post
I really want to pick up my old copy of the Annotated Screenplays and compare it to the comics but so far I've held off doing that as I think its been more thrilling reading this fresh.
I LOVE that book! I've always been fascinated with early drafts of movies, books, etc so that was a good read.

This was a really unique idea for a comic book. Aside from familiar names here and there it almost feels like a different universe. So far I like it. The art is fantastic. The story is good, too. So far it's nothing like what the original Star Wars ended up being. What I loved about Episode IV is how small the Star Wars universe was back then. This comic has that feel since it's a brand new universe we're exploring.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 05:23 PM   #17
J.T.B.
Commodore

I finally got a copy of the first issue last week, my local shop had been stocked out when I tried before. I was pretty familiar with the draft it was based on, so it was interesting to see where they took it. The threads carried through to the PT were pretty apparent, I thought. I liked most of the design elements, a blend of new with some familiar touches. I thought a giant-scale 1930s-style ring microphone was an odd choice, though. Scaling the familiar star destroyer wedge down to a two-man craft worked OK, though personally I would have ditched the "tower" piece. It will be interesting to see the "rebel" starfighters, which were originally supposed to have WW2-style ball turrets.

BTW what's with the "official" in thread subjects? Is there some thread sanctioning body I don't know about?
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 07:20 PM   #18
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
BTW what's with the "official" in thread subjects? Is there some thread sanctioning body I don't know about?
At the moderator's request, we tend to keep threads on a topic consolidated, rather than having multiple threads on the same subject.
Old October 3 2013, 07:44 PM   #19
J.T.B.
Commodore

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
At the moderator's request, we tend to keep threads on a topic consolidated, rather than having multiple threads on the same subject.
Sure, I know that, but "official" just sounds funny to me.
Old October 6 2013, 11:58 PM   #20
J.T.B.
Commodore

Issue #2. What a difference it makes to not have a familiar character involved in the Death Star battle, while the characters you know are watch everything from the base. The character focus seems too wide; is Annakin supposed to be the protagonist or a sidekick? Whitsun's arrival seemed anticlimactic after the way he was introduced.

Still some Dambusters touches apparent, not so much 633 Squadron. I thought the star fighters would be more like the Colin Cantwell prototype Y-wing. The plough-shaped design they used were kind of ugly, with a "navigator" in an off-center bubble for some reason.
Old October 7 2013, 04:05 AM   #21
Nightowl1701
Commander

The Cantwell Y-Wings are almost certainly gonna show up later in the narrative, as the aforementioned 'rebel' starfighters with the turrets. (The X-Wings didn't start to take shape until much further in the film's development, so I'm not expecting to see them.) The Aquilean starfighters, I'm pretty sure, are based on the early concept art for the Naboo N-1 fighter (at one point in TPM's development, Padme was going to be young Anakin's wingman - so to speak - in the final space battle).
Nightowl1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 01:45 PM   #22
J.T.B.
Commodore

^
I'm sure that's right. That's one thing I'm not crazy about: the PT design influences that crop up. I would be happier if everything was based on Ralph McQuarrie and pre-1977 design work. But that's my old-timer perspective, and I can see why they've done it that way.
Old October 7 2013, 01:49 PM   #23
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

When Natalie Portman is your wingman, you're doing it wrong.
Old October 9 2013, 03:11 AM   #24
Mr Light
Admiral

This comic series is really fascinating to see such a vastly different take on New Hope. In a lot of ways it's a lot bigger and epic than what we got. Very interesting.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 11:09 PM   #25
publiusr
Commodore

Maybe for the 100th (2077) our grandkids might see that filmed
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 03:08 AM   #26
Mike Farley
Commodore

I kinda love the fact that General Skywalker is a burly George Lucas.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 04:39 AM   #27
Janus VI
Captain

Issue 3 is available.

This issue felt like it had more elements from TPM with a few moments of ANH in the mix.

I found it a bit strange that R2-D2 or rather Artwo Detwo as he is called here had so much dialogue, actually that he had any dialogue at all beyond his usual blips and beeps was strange. Most of what Artwo was saying to See Threepio was recycled lines from movie C-3PO that I couldn't help but imagine Anthony Daniels staring in a mirror having a catty conversation with himself. I did chuckle at See Threepio's super strength.

I have to wonder whats up with Vader he seemed to be a bit distant in those few panels by himself. I almost got the impression that he isn't really into the war with Aquilae or he's planning something on his own. As soon as Prince Valorum interrupted his alone time it was back to Vader being the loyal Henchman.
Janus VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 12:41 AM   #28
publiusr
Commodore

This reminds me a lot of WWII serials--understandably.

I'm actually reminded of Don Winslow of the Navy--as odd as that sounds.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote