IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^As I've said, you can find comparable physics and tech absurdities in the prior Trek film series as well. The Genesis Device is easily as idiotic as any of the science and tech in the Abramsverse. Same for TFF's Sha Ka Ree and the short commute to the galactic center, same for the Nexus, same for thalarons. The problem isn't Abrams, the problem is movies. The modern cinematic idiom dumbs things down. Hell, I blame George Lucas and Steven Spielberg more than anyone else. They created a new type of blockbuster genre film, and the Hollywood establishment ever since has tried to force all genre films to conform to their model. Star Trek on TV gets to be Star Trek, but Star Trek in the movies has been under pressure for the past 31 years to pretend it was Star Wars. To claim this is something that never happened before 2009 is revisionist history.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I keep reminding, TNG had "subspace beaming" which was pretty much the same as transwarp beaming. Turn off your selective memory and start complaining in the TNG forum.:p

3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All true but two wrongs don't make a right! I could complain in both forums but I just don't have the time. In fairness, I would only make a few tweaks to the movies to satisfy my anal retentiveness. One of them would be to reduce the range of the so-called transwarp beaming and another would have been replacing Khan with Garth.

There is a general tendency in modern movies to go for big explosions and ludicrous CGI stunts and bigger and better in each sequel after the next. Raiders of the Lost Ark wasn't amazing just because of the stunts. The Bourne trilogy is another great example. The stories hold together without the need for bigger and bigger explosions as the sequels progress. Star Trek IV was silly fun without the need for explosions.

I do love the ay the comics are gradually layering on interesting things though. I hope they last long enough to get really good!

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Classic example is Captain Spock having to go down to Engineering to fix the mains, wearing no radiation suit when they have twenty guys standing around already in partial radiation gear.

I could see someone who had just saw the latest movie and had no other exposure to Trek criticizing these things. But for long-term Trek fans, non-sense is the status quo and it seems kind of funny to be complaining about it now.

5. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

That bridge (the technology) was crossed as soon as the Kelvin took scans of the Narada, hence why the Enterprise is so much more advanced then her prime reality counterpart.

I suspect that L'nar (the Romulan commander) will help Kirk out. Since he is obviously the alternate reality counterpart of the Romulan commander from "Balance of Terror", I suspect they will play off the "In a different reality, I could have called you friend," line from BoT. Just my suspicions.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Bad Robot is the only fun target for complaints these days because complaining about Berman and Braga doesn't affect anything anymore. ;)

7. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, I've always thought it odd that engineers didn't have helmets for their radiation suits but I suppose from a cinematic perspective you want to see the actors' faces but at least the partial suits look better than the no suits of TNG through to NuTrek. Even TOS tended just to wear overalls.
    However, my understanding of TWoK was that even with radiation suits on, a human would lose motor control too quickly to be any use (robotic drones anyone?) whereas Spock, even without a suit, believed he could do the task (not to mention that the decent engineer had just fallen unconscious and the others were inexperienced cadets).

That's a bit diffeent to NuTrek where there are not even any engineers (trainees or otherwise with or without suits) in the key affected section of the ship and the human goes in to kick the ship back into order with no suit.

They're both a bit silly, yes, but they are not qualitatively the same. TWoK did have some plausible excuses to frame the scene, NuTrek less so IMO. Not that there were not a number of other REALLY silly other moments in TWoK.

8. British Khan

British Khan Ensign Red Shirt

I knew that already. :p

I was just wrote that because of the fact that the Klingons studying the Narada and the Romulans having the Narada's schematics has made their technology far more advance what the Federation has. Though Section 31 has their own ships with similar capabilities.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  9. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Which makes it feel like a front in the Temporal Cold War: no just one side, but all sides getting technology way beyond what they naturally developed. Maybe all sides will realize the possibility of mutual annihilation.

10. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Does anyboby when Volume 6 will be published? According to Memory Alpha it's 2013-11-26 but it's not listed on Amazon although the date is downtime from our perspective now.

11. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I got my copy of ST 6 from Amazon already, and the website shows it in stock. This is the US Amazon for what that's worth.
    Is there a checklist somewhere of all the different mini series that IDW has done for Trek? I'm only just getting into collecting them. I think I have them all, but a definitive list to compare to would be nice.
    I also got the Early Voyages omnibus that IDW put out collecting the Marvel series about Pike's crew. I really enjoyed it, and wondered if there was any plan to release any of the other Marvel comics Trek series? I know the older movie era comic Trek series has been released, but I've been wary of getting it due to the high number of negative reviews based on poor print reproduction quality.
    Thanks for any help!

12. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I thought T'Pring was really interesting in a fairly brief role. She's a woman with little power, as apparently is the fate of Vulcan women in marriage, but she takes what little power she has and works the hell out of it. The challenge before the wedding is her one chance to escape a marriage she doesn't want, and she lays out her plans so that no matter how things work out, she's going to get what she wants. Even Spock compliments her on her flawless logic, although I think you could still read a subtext of disapproval from him, which is delicious irony coming from Spock.
    T'Pau would be interesting to use, but I can understand why the movie people may not want to let the comics use her first, wanting to keep their options open with her.
    I do think the discussion of gender and diversity in the TOS/reboot/comics is interesting. I think that there should be room in the cast for Chapel and Rand. I'm only just started to collect the comic trades. Have the IDW comics included any gay characters? I'm still disappointed that the movies continued the franchise's "no homo" policy, at least as far as tv and movies go. The books have become more inclusive, and I really appreciate that, a lot. It's nice to have gay diversity in the novels even if we still can't get it onscreen. I'll be continuing to collect the comics either way, but yeah, I'd be pleased to have some inclusion in the comics too.

13. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

14. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

The best reference for Star Trek comics is the Star Trek Comics Checklist, found here. It's a few months behind; it used to get updated regularly, but as with so many fannish endeavors, sometimes life gets in the way of prompt maintenance.

It's still awesome -- the only IDW title not listed is the currently-running Khan miniseries.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does the person who runs it still post here? I know they used to.

16. Therin of Andor

Mark Martinez. Sometimes.

17. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://www.amazon.de/dp/1613777965

18. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone read the latest issue?

Pauln6 correctly guessed this issue's twist ending back in post #562 of this thread!

19. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

20. Therin of Andor

Yes, I've read it and enjoyed it.
    may not have occurred to me until I read the speculations, but I rarely guess whodunnits. ;)