Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 7 2013, 09:20 AM   #571
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
The gender thing again? Didn't we already go through this bullshit in the XI forum?

Next!
OMG did they fix it and I didn't notice?

Oh wait...

No.

It's interesting though - I'm commenting on the latest issue of ongoing in general, commenting on the story, and including my opinion on whether I think the artists and writers are moving towards a more balanced approach and yet a number of people feel the need to target the passing comments on the gender issue alone rather than anything else. And they are making progress in the right direction even if they aren't there yet. I view that as quite positive. Don't be so dismissive of their increasing awareness. It's an important issue globally.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 01:16 PM   #572
Noddy
Captain

Is the ongoing series retconning the Nero mini? The Klingons are seen using ships clearly derived from the Narada's tech in recent issues, and the mini-series showed that the Klingons hadn't really made much progress with the Narada at the time Nero escaped with it.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 02:41 PM   #573
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Noddy wrote: View Post
Is the ongoing series retconning the Nero mini? The Klingons are seen using ships clearly derived from the Narada's tech in recent issues, and the mini-series showed that the Klingons hadn't really made much progress with the Narada at the time Nero escaped with it.
There are many Klingons.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 03:18 PM   #574
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ And they have a plan.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 05:23 PM   #575
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ And they have a plan.
Oh, good, I wasn't the only one.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 09:47 PM   #576
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

It's a shame Khan pissed off the Klingons. I really wanted to see Khan, his followers, and some multi-racial mercenaries banding together for maximum mischief.

Old November 7 2013, 09:52 PM   #577
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
It's a shame Khan pissed off the Klingons. I really wanted to see Khan, his followers, and some multi-racial mercenaries banding together for maximum mischief.
50 percent female.

50 percent disabled. 50 percent elderly. 50 percent illiterate. 50 percent homosexual. (Well, at least in proportions similar to real life.)
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 10:32 PM   #578
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
50 percent female.

50 percent disabled. 50 percent elderly. 50 percent illiterate. 50 percent homosexual. (Well, at least in proportions similar to real life.)
You forgot asexual and hermaphrodites. And I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something off with your maths.

Actually, I don't have a major problem with Klingons being sexist towards women; I have a problem if there are no aliens who are equally sexist towards men or (like Angel One) when those women are criticised to a far stronger degree than the sexist male aliens or when races that claim to be equal don't visibly demonstrate the equality they espouse.

50% disabled crew would be amazing though!

Old November 8 2013, 02:23 AM   #579
trampledamage
Clone

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
The gender thing again? Didn't we already go through this bullshit in the XI forum?

Next!
It is always your choice whether to participate in a discussion. If you don't like it, don't get involved. Please don't dismiss other people's concerns, that isn't necessary.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 04:41 AM   #580
British Khan
Ensign

So what would be a possible ending to the Khitomer Conflict arc? Also it seems the tech of this comic verse is going to be decades more advance than it's prime verse counterpart.
British Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 05:01 AM   #581
Christopher
Writer

British Khan wrote: View Post
Also it seems the tech of this comic verse is going to be decades more advance than it's prime verse counterpart.
Which is logical, since they both reflect the eras they were created in.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 09:25 AM   #582
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
British Khan wrote: View Post
Also it seems the tech of this comic verse is going to be decades more advance than it's prime verse counterpart.
Which is logical, since they both reflect the eras they were created in.
On a basic level I think that's fine but I have been very frustrated at the way they threw the baby out with the bath water.

I don't really mind them upgrading tech to reflect more sophisticated modern day counterparts but it's frustrating when they ignore the advances we've made in science and dumb down the real world physics.

Unnecessary upgrades to fictional physics is frustrating me as well. The drama comes from the characters being in difficult situations and the more sophisticated the tech the loopier the situation has to be to create the difficulty.

Classic example is Kirk going into their new more sophisticated warp chamber with no radiation suit and kicking it to fix it allowing them to do a last minute 180 degrees in an atmosphere (but having just watched Dagger of the Mind - it's not much sillier than Helen crawling through the air conditioning to flip a switch to turn off the power in a high security hospital I guess...).

Also TOS was set up so that you used your ships to travel between planets and your transporter to travel from orbit down to said planets. In NuTrek you use your transporters to travel between planets and your ships to to travel from orbit down to said planet.

It may just be that the audience has got more educated and the writers have got less careful. I suppose it's a fun ride but my friend's 7 year old was criticising the physics displayed in the first film. That's a bit embarrassing.

Old November 8 2013, 04:02 PM   #583
Christopher
Writer

^As I've said, you can find comparable physics and tech absurdities in the prior Trek film series as well. The Genesis Device is easily as idiotic as any of the science and tech in the Abramsverse. Same for TFF's Sha Ka Ree and the short commute to the galactic center, same for the Nexus, same for thalarons. The problem isn't Abrams, the problem is movies. The modern cinematic idiom dumbs things down. Hell, I blame George Lucas and Steven Spielberg more than anyone else. They created a new type of blockbuster genre film, and the Hollywood establishment ever since has tried to force all genre films to conform to their model. Star Trek on TV gets to be Star Trek, but Star Trek in the movies has been under pressure for the past 31 years to pretend it was Star Wars. To claim this is something that never happened before 2009 is revisionist history.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 04:11 PM   #584
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Also TOS was set up so that you used your ships to travel between planets and your transporter to travel from orbit down to said planets. In NuTrek you use your transporters to travel between planets and your ships to to travel from orbit down to said planet.
As I keep reminding, TNG had "subspace beaming" which was pretty much the same as transwarp beaming. Turn off your selective memory and start complaining in the TNG forum.
Old November 8 2013, 11:26 PM   #585
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

All true but two wrongs don't make a right! I could complain in both forums but I just don't have the time. In fairness, I would only make a few tweaks to the movies to satisfy my anal retentiveness. One of them would be to reduce the range of the so-called transwarp beaming and another would have been replacing Khan with Garth.

There is a general tendency in modern movies to go for big explosions and ludicrous CGI stunts and bigger and better in each sequel after the next. Raiders of the Lost Ark wasn't amazing just because of the stunts. The Bourne trilogy is another great example. The stories hold together without the need for bigger and bigger explosions as the sequels progress. Star Trek IV was silly fun without the need for explosions.

I do love the ay the comics are gradually layering on interesting things though. I hope they last long enough to get really good!