New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 8 2013, 10:17 PM   #1531
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Plus there was the added advantage that it wasn't being guarded by Zod and his men. If he went directly to Metropolis, he likely would have been so busy fighting them that he wouldn't have had time to concentrate on stopping the machine itself-- which would have resulted in even MORE damage to the city.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 10:22 PM   #1532
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I've seen it again today and yes, the World Engine destroys most of the buildings before Superman shows up.
Good thing he spent all that time in the unpopulated place...

What was the reason why he was over there and the US military worked on the one in Metropolis? I don't remember.
I can't remember if they ever actually specified a reason, but I always assumed it was because Superman could get out there a lot faster than they could. The World Engine was in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
It's also possible, depending on where it was situated, that the one in the Indian Ocean might have set off massive earthquakes resulting in even greater loss of life much quicker than anywhere else.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 10:23 PM   #1533
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

This:

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
That was pretty much the reason. The military would never have made it there in time.
and this:

davejames wrote: View Post
Plus there was the added advantage that it wasn't being guarded by Zod and his men. If he went directly to Metropolis, he likely would have been so busy fighting them that he wouldn't have had time to concentrate on stopping the machine itself-- which would have resulted in even MORE damage to the city.
sum it up nicely.
Ovation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 12:44 AM   #1534
stj
Rear Admiral

There is no World Engine, which means there are no specs that say there has to be preposterous amounts of destruction. What on Earth or Krypton do ginormous explosions have to do with changing the biosphere? Nor does the instruction manual require that there be two parts on opposite parts of the planet, thereby sending Superman off so that humanity can inconveniently suffer casualties he can't be blamed for. Even the people defending the carnage have to strain to come up with a reason why the other location had to be Metropolis.

The bottom line is that the producers wanted lots of falling buildings, because they thought that was entertaining. Good for you if you got more value for your theater tickets. The massive destruction wasn't very entertaining. The movie gave us a decent Lois Lane and that was vastly more entertaining for me.

And the casualties were not acknowledged. Was there a single bloodstain from a non-speaking "character?"
Old November 9 2013, 01:24 AM   #1535
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well the idea was that the Engines were somehow transforming and adapting the Earth to Krypton's much heavier gravity.

Why exactly that required all surrounding objects to be lifted into the air and violently smashed downward, I have no idea. But it was bound to be a destructive process one way or the other, and they clearly had to make this process visually interesting and dramatic for the audience, so I don't have a problem with it.

And to suggest that the falling buildings and epic destruction were only there for "entertainment value" just seems silly. It was clearly meant to demonstrate just how scary and powerful and dangerous Zod and his men were, and to give Superman an overwhelming threat to overcome-- because Snyder and Goyer clearly felt that Superman required a much bigger threat than we typically see in a superhero movie.
Old November 9 2013, 01:32 AM   #1536
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

There is a frontrunner for the role of Nightwing in Batman vs. Superman.
Old November 9 2013, 02:04 AM   #1537
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
There is a frontrunner for the role of Nightwing in Batman vs. Superman.
Looks more like a front runner for Stonn in a new Trek film.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 04:14 AM   #1538
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ He's a daring actor. He's done some pretty graphic sex scenes on Girls.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 07:53 PM   #1539
stj
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
And to suggest that the falling buildings and epic destruction were only there for "entertainment value" just seems silly. It was clearly meant to demonstrate just how scary and powerful and dangerous Zod and his men were, and to give Superman an overwhelming threat to overcome-- because Snyder and Goyer clearly felt that Superman required a much bigger threat than we typically see in a superhero movie.
It's nice that you were entertained by the falling buildings. But the simple fact is that there were enough people who were bored by them, their minds wandered, and wondered about the human casualties. The movie was a success but there were enough people who felt this that it would really be silly to attribute the criticism to motiveless malice.

As far as so many of the falling buildings being there? It's not because it was trying to make Zod et al. seem scarier and more dangerous and more powerful against Superman. Two or three Kryptonians attacking him at once would have been. One chocking him might have been. One kicking him in the nuts even. But no amount of falling buildings were going to be scary or dangerous or powerful for Superman. They were like people crashing through cardboard.

Scarier and more dangerous and more powerful against the humans? Showing the casualties from one falling building, even in the Smallville sequence would have done that much more effectively. I daresay that actually trying to imagine a global depiction of the World Engine at work could have been much more effective. A supposed world threat limited to some empty ocean and a single city? Well, yes, the script told us. But Snyder and Goyer didn't show us.
Old November 11 2013, 05:13 PM   #1540
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Apparently Kevin Smith is pretty stoked about the new Batman suit.

"I saw the Batman costume. More than that I saw a picture of him (Affleck) in the costume. Now, I don't want to give anything away 'cause that is up to them and stuff, but I am going to say this, I instantly bear hugged him (Snyder). You have not seen this costume in a movie on film before, and for a comic book fan it was mind bending. I was like 'Get out of here, only you have enough power to pull this off.' Because everyone always like does this Matrix/X-Men black armor...It was fantastic. I'm already a flag waver for this movie, but the costume, it blew my mind. I think everyone is just gonna be like 'Holy ****!' It's its own thing, man. It's like we haven't been down this path at all. I was so elated....Even the hardest core “**** all this” person will be like 'alright, I'm ready.'"
Source.

Sounds promising. Could we be getting a more traditional comic book suit?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 06:07 PM   #1541
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

I always figured since the moment Batman was announced that we were going to see a more traditional costume this time around.

Zack Snyder is pretty comic-book faithful and besides losing the trunks the Superman costume was fairly comic-book accurate. Look at 300, Watchmen... if anything got me excited for this movie it was the idea that we would be finally getting a comic-book accurate Batman suit.

So I'm pretty excited. Kevin Smith is a hardcore comic-book fan, so if he got that excited about it, then I'm pretty sure there's enough reason to be excited. Honestly, that's probably the one thing I'm most excited about in regards to this movie - I'm sure the Batsuit is going to be awesome.
Old November 11 2013, 06:22 PM   #1542
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I wonder if Batman will have trunks.

As for Kevin Smith's comment, he liked Man of Steel so I'm cautiously optimistic that what we'll get will be good.

[Edit] I don't even remember if the New 52 Batman has trunks or not. Looks like he doesn't.

Last edited by Agent Richard07; November 11 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 06:29 PM   #1543
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I wonder if Batman will have trunks though.
Maybe that's the source of the conflict, maybe Superman makes fun of Batman for wearing his underwear outside of his suit

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 06:43 PM   #1544
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

If Superman didn't have trunks I don't see why Batman will.
Old November 11 2013, 06:47 PM   #1545
davejames
Vice Admiral

It'll be nice to finally get away from the all-black look (or in the case of BB, black and ultra dark gray).