RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,682
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 743
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old November 8 2013, 12:22 AM   #511
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

It is totally worth it.

Jobs, houses and cars don't give you that roller coaster of emotion and adrenaline.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 12:25 AM   #512
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I like my house, job and car. Though I did do the single all nighter once when one of the DS9 seasons came out on DVD. Still went to work the next day.
Old November 8 2013, 12:28 AM   #513
teacake
Admiral

Maybe instead of threats like duct tape and the thrill of losing his achievements in life R.Star needs to be bribed to watch BSG.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 8 2013, 12:31 AM   #514
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Bribes are good.
Old November 8 2013, 01:46 AM   #515
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
I like my house, job and car. Though I did do the single all nighter once when one of the DS9 seasons came out on DVD. Still went to work the next day.
DS9 is no BSG.

To those of you that have not seen that clip before.

There is more.

Much more.

That's the first act.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2159673/...nm_flmg_slf_10

Season 2 episode 2.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 02:16 AM   #516
teacake
Admiral

Well now I will have to watch that. Once my infernal cooking duties are over.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 8 2013, 03:31 AM   #517
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Kids need their meth.

Old November 8 2013, 08:58 AM   #518
teacake
Admiral

Well that was super amusing. AND.. I got cold chills during a certain part of it which I won't say in case anyone else wants to watch it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 14 2013, 11:09 PM   #519
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I've finished all of Season 3 and the first two episodes of Season 4 now, and have to say that it is during these 28 episodes that it really becomes apparent Just how much of a Serialized Procedural the show actually is, as 21 (Basics Part 2, Sacred Ground, The Swarm, Future's End Parts 1 and 2, Warlord, Macrocosm, Fair Trade, Alter Ego, Coda, Blood Fever, Unity, Darkling, Before and After, Real Life, Distant Origin, Displaced, Worst Case Scenario, Scorpion Parts 1and 2, and The Gift) of those 28 episodes are directly or indirectly related or connected to one another in ways that make it imperative that they be watched in the proper sequence.

The remaining 7 episodes also help add to the show's overall 'narrative tapestry', but don't feature the level of interconnectivity that the other 21 eps in this stretch do

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 11:48 PM   #520
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Do you watch Homeland?

You're like Homeland.

Season 3 had 14 writers, or teams of writers, before the producers rewrote everything.

André Bormanis
Andrew Shepard Price, Mark Gaberman
Brannon Braga (by himself) x3
Brannon Braga, Joe Menosky (together) x6
Clayvon C. Harris
Geo Cameron
George Brozak
Harry 'Doc' Kloor
Jeri Taylor x2
Jimmy Diggs
Joe Menosky (by himself) X 3
Kenneth Biller x5
Lisa Klink x6
Michael Piller
Michael Sussman
Ronald Wilkerson, Jean Louise Matthias
Shawn Piller

Any continuity was accidental.

Episodes are farmed out to strangers under oaths of silence, written out of order and produced out of order and filmed out of order and then aired almost randomly.

Brannon and Joe each wrote nine episodes, and not completely the same nine episodes... Considering their power, the only thing stopping them from writing a linear progressive story throughout the course of many stories was the network yelling at them not to.

Old November 15 2013, 04:35 AM   #521
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ What is with your reticence when it comes to acknowledging that Voyager had more serialization and continuity than people think it did?

Old November 15 2013, 05:33 AM   #522
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

"More than people think".

You do understand how abstract that is?

It's unquantifiable.

Meanwhile, how awful was your belief in the terribleness of Voyager's continuity before this started, to now when you seem to think that it's the most amazing invention since the Ipod?

Did you have an epiphany, or have you always thought that Voyager's continuity is fantastic and you underwent no physical change whatsoever in your heart?

If it's a question of change and you have always thought that Voyagers continuity and serialization has been amazing, then Voyager's serialization and continuity is not better than you thought, it's still only amazing.

Any episode in season 3 except Scorpion, could have been seamlessly put into season two anywhere without any change to the script and no one would have noticed, even if one week they're saying we've been here for 3 years and the next episode they're saying we've been here for 2 years.

Old November 15 2013, 05:48 AM   #523
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

My previous experience with Voyager was sporadic at best, and I therefore had no true sense of how much continuity and serialization it might actually have compared to how much continuity and serialization it's perceived to have. Once I began watching it from the beginning and in its proper sequence, though, I quickly realized that there was in fact more continuity and serialization in it than is the general perception and started this discussion in order to address the topic.

I don't know if you've ever watched Bones, but both it and Voyager are examples of series that can be viewed in any order, but shouldn't be because of how they're structured (for more on this subject as it concerns Bones, go check out this thread).

Old November 15 2013, 06:04 AM   #524
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I been there before.

Old November 15 2013, 11:19 PM   #525
MacLeod
Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
My previous experience with Voyager was sporadic at best, and I therefore had no true sense of how much continuity and serialization it might actually have compared to how much continuity and serialization it's perceived to have. Once I began watching it from the beginning and in its proper sequence, though, I quickly realized that there was in fact more continuity and serialization in it than is the general perception and started this discussion in order to address the topic.

I don't know if you've ever watched Bones, but both it and Voyager are examples of series that can be viewed in any order, but shouldn't be because of how they're structured (for more on this subject as it concerns Bones, go check out this thread).
This all comes down to individual prefrences.

You state that the show can be viewed in any order with the provso that it shouldn't. That implies that you watch it out of order without getting confused by not knowing what has gone on in previous episodes. (Hence the critisims a lack of continuity)

Compare that to shows like B5 and DSN where you might lose some understanding of what is going on by missing an episode (true the saliant points are normally recapped briefly in the Previously/Last time part at the start o the teaser).

To some VOY should have been far closer to the standard set by B5 and DSN than it was. Yes in terms of antogists they would have to change, no one is denying that. But what about characters, some of DSN's secondary/guest characters had more development than some of VOY's main cast.

Were where VOY's secondary cast that could easily have been devopled. Sure we had the likes of Seska and Carey for the first couple of Seasons and Taurik and Vaurik for a couple of seasons. But we never really got to see the larger VOY family grow and develop as we did in DSN. And they could have done it, at times it felt as if O'Brein during his recurring run in TNG got more development than Kim did as a primary in VOY.

We never really got the impression they were resource poor, the whole point about the holodeck power supply being incompatable with the rest of the ship was for continuity (from TNGs "Booby Trap" so they wouldn't be called on holodeck power being used) but didn't they end up later forgotting about that?

Every show no doubt has continuity errors and yes as viewers we can overlook them, but there reaches a tipping point for each individual viewer where they think enough is enough and the suspesion of disbelief is broken.

And really many of the critisims levelled at VOY could have been diminished by a throw-away line. Or extras doing damage repairs in the background etc..

These little things would have cost very little and helped a little.

But I never really got the impression that the characters believed they might never see home again which was a distict possibility.

It's not my fault as a viewer if I hold them to something they say they can't do in episode 3 and can do it in episode 90. They got around the problem great, but isn't good stroy telling to inform your audiance as to how you got around the problem?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote