Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 8 2013, 01:29 AM   #16
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Wars Episode VII Discussion, News, Interviews (12/18/2015)

Eh, most movies get at least 3 years from green-light.

If the script turns out better, Abrams should be praised for rewriting it, and delaying the movie 6 months.

Sure as Hell, if he had gone with the script and it made the movie suck, Abrams would be BBQ'ed for not taking the time to fix the script, "As The Director, it's HIS Job". (How many times have "WE" trashed Directors for not re-doing a script?)

We don't know for sure that most any credible Director wouldn't have wanted to alter the script. (And I think most "In-Demand" Directors would want their own stamp/angle on a script in some way, even if it's already Good)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; November 8 2013 at 02:13 AM.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 01:35 AM   #17
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

More lens flares are added to the script as we speak.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 01:37 AM   #18
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

With Abrams and Kasdan joining forces to write this thing it should wind up as a pretty entertaining and satisfying installment. For all the flak and crap J.J. gets from many Trek fans for his alternate timeline take on the Roddenberry universe he does usually craft pretty good product, and Kasdan - well, his cred is there for all to see.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 01:39 AM   #19
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I was a fan of the Star Trek movies but JJ's movie career isn't exactly stellar.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 03:14 AM   #20
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
But on the bright side Lawrence Kasdan co-wrote both Empire and Jedi. Kasdan has proven he knows how to help write some great or downright amazing Star Wars screenplays....let's just hope he hasn't gotten as rusty between Star Wars gigs when it comes to writing as Lucas did when it came to directing.
That is my biggest fear. We rarely see returning creators outdo their original work. Lucas is probably the posterboy for this. I honestly think dumping an Academy award winning writer who did Toy Story 3 for Lawrence Kasdan is a step down.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 03:42 AM   #21
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I actually think the Jedi screenplay wasn't that great. It was trying too hard to wrap things up. Everything the characters said was plot-related, whereas the other two films the characters spoke about the little details of the world they lived in as if they actually lived there. I guess I'm having trouble explaining my point, but Jedi's screenplay was simply efficient but way to rigidly structured. A little pat.

Mods, please merge threads!
Old November 8 2013, 03:48 AM   #22
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I agree. Aside from that, in their hurry to wrap up all the plot threads, Jedi felt more like two movies in one.
Old November 8 2013, 04:26 AM   #23
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I actually think the Jedi screenplay wasn't that great. It was trying too hard to wrap things up. Everything the characters said was plot-related, whereas the other two films the characters spoke about the little details of the world they lived in as if they actually lived there. I guess I'm having trouble explaining my point, but Jedi's screenplay was simply efficient but way to rigidly structured. A little pat.

Mods, please merge threads!
nah man, you explained it PERFECTLY. I enjoy jedi for what it is, and the stuff with luke, emperor, vader is fantastic. but you are right, it was lacking. and it doesn't all fall on the ewoks, although they deserve some of the blame(moreso lucas but you catch my drift). the thing is, I think a lot of people are thinking in their clearly deranged heads that if this movie doesn't get near empire strikes back its a bust and abrams is a hack. but that's simply not the case. we just need a GOOD star wars film, but hopefully a REALLY good or great one. at least after what we have had to live with over the past decade and a half. by the way I love all of you and if I could invite every one of you trekker bastards to my wedding(if im lucky enough to have one) I would. cheers to nerdiness. we live in such wonderful times! I guess im optimistic and in a good mood today?
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 04:41 AM   #24
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Thank you! You seem like a genuinely interesting person!

Yeah, I agree the emperor, Luke, & Vader scenes have a lot of pathos (even if the throne room set isn't nearly as interesting as the location of the duels in Empire) and the space battle was fantastic.

I think a better screenplay would not have needed Ewoks, but, since they are there, they are used in interesting ways, making the ground battle one that was really fun to watch.

But again, the screenplay simply painted by the numbers (the sole exception was the fact that I believe that Luke crossed over to the Dark Side for a brief amount of time in the film in order to beat Vader - and Vader was actually scared for the first time; that was risky) but everything else seemed written, and nothing breathed, nothing made me feel like I was learning more about the universe, where as Empire, and in particular, it's third act, was all about making the universe feel both bigger and yet more finely detailed. Even the first film with talk about harvesting seasons and moisture vaporators all added to the canvas that this is a real, working universe. Jedi only played lip-service to these notions, and the pacing wasn't too good.

If anything, it was the heroes (Han, Leia, Luke, Lando, and Chewie) that we know who should have stolen the Imperial Shuttle and got word that the Emperor was going to be on the Death Star, not some rebel people we never meet. That would have made it interesting. And maybe send them to Endor on the shuttle without getting any support initially from the rest of the alliance. See, already, the screenplay would have been more interesting.

They needed to light a fire under that screenplay.
Old November 8 2013, 04:45 AM   #25
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
. . .Disney seems DETERMINED to release the movie in 2015 for some reason.
Studios often rush to premiere before the year's out, hoping to catch some Academy Award nominations while the picture is still fresh in the minds of the voters, rather than waiting for another year. Perhaps more importantly, the Golden Globe Awards are held in January awarding films released in the previous year. This helps build the foreign press buzz.
Old November 8 2013, 04:54 AM   #26
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Star Wars was part of Iger's larger strategy in 2015.
Old November 8 2013, 06:07 AM   #27
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Does anyone know if the new date will put it head-to-head with Avatar 2?
Old November 8 2013, 07:46 AM   #28
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Jedi was the weakest and least satisfying of the OT scripts and films by a mile but I'll still give Kasdan credit where credit's due. Episode VI had its share of weaknesses (not the least of which were the defanging of Han Solo as an edgy character and the film feeling more like one long, 130-minute merchandise commercial more than it did an epic space fantasy-adventure film) but I still liked it a lot and I liked it more than most of the Prequel Trilogy.

Storywise Jedi does feel more rushed and the pivotal moment that Luke tells Leia that she's his sister lacks the emotional impact it might otherwise would have had thanks to Carrie Fisher's mediocre acting and the hurried sense of "let's get this brother/sister/Darth Vader's-really-our-dad thing out of the way so we can get more Ewoks throwing spears on the screen," but it's still a good movie and a wonderful childhood memory even if it's the runt of the Original Trilogy.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 08:56 AM   #29
Skywalker
Admiral

I'm still not entirely convinced Avatar 2 is going to happen. But if it does, I don't think it'll actually come out in 2015.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 10:41 AM   #30
Beagleman
Captain

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I'm still not entirely convinced Avatar 2 is going to happen. But if it does, I don't think it'll actually come out in 2015.
Oh, Avatar 2, 3 and even 4 are most definitely happening (right now actually), but I think you are right 2015 is doubtful.
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote