CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 7 2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Dream
Admiral

Star Wars Episode VII Discussion, News, Interviews (12/18/2015)

The release date has just been announced!

STAR WARS: EPISODE VII TO OPEN DECEMBER 18, 2015

With pre-production in full-swing, a confirmed release date of December 18, 2015, has been set for Lucasfilm's highly anticipated Star Wars: Episode VII.

"We're very excited to share the official 2015 release date for Star Wars: Episode VII, where it will not only anchor the popular holiday filmgoing season but also ensure our extraordinary filmmaking team has the time needed to deliver a sensational picture," said Alan Horn, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios.

Star Wars: Episode VII will be directed by J.J. Abrams (Super 8, Mission: Impossible III, Star Trek) and is being scripted by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan (Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi). Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, with Tommy Harper (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Jack Ryan, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin,War of the Worlds) serving as executive producers. John Williams is returning to score Star Wars: Episode VII.

Shooting is scheduled to begin spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios.

StarWars.com
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Re: Star Wars Episode VII Discussion, News, Interviews (12/18/2015)

A reasonable compromise.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Dream
Admiral

I'm very excited we now finally have a release date.

It is going to take some getting used to seeing a SW movie in the winter though. I know ANH was first scheduled for winter until it was delayed until the following summer of 77, so this is almost like going full circle.
Old November 7 2013, 10:58 PM   #4
davejames
Vice Admiral

Abrams does work pretty fast, so I wouldn't be surprised if this ultimately got moved back a little before then, perhaps to Thanksgiving.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 11:00 PM   #5
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

I thought we had a release date already. Or maybe I just assumed it would come out in May. And delays have always been an issue for Star Wars. Lucas managed to get the prequel trilogy out on schedule but he was having trouble and at one point, around when Episode II was being made I think, he said that he wished he could have four years instead of three.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 11:17 PM   #6
Dream
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Abrams does work pretty fast, so I wouldn't be surprised if this ultimately got moved back a little before then, perhaps to Thanksgiving.
They just announced the date, things would have to be very bad production wise if they delay it.

I think it would be better if they delayed it a year (or two), but Disney seems DETERMINED to release the movie in 2015 for some reason.
Old November 7 2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

This will be a day long remembered.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 11:25 PM   #8
Dream
Admiral

I am already seeing all the fans on other forums starting to complain about it being "wrong" that SW isn't being released on a May month.
Old November 7 2013, 11:46 PM   #9
davejames
Vice Admiral

2015 is going to be such a busy year that it's probably for the best that SW be pushed back a bit, and given it's own spot.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I am already seeing all the fans on other forums starting to complain about it being "wrong" that SW isn't being released on a May month.
It is kinda disconcerting. I fear change.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 12:03 AM   #11
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

I was very much hoping for a late spring/May release as we saw with the first six Episodes in the Saga dating back to 1977, but if the extra seven-month wait helps guarantee the best final edit of the best story possible then I'm fine with it. Not like we have any choice in the matter, anyways.

I'm still very excited about the new film and hoping for the best. I still believe that Lucasfilm and Disney can knock Episode VII and the two other Sequel Trilogy films out of the ballpark if they've learned lessons from the flaws and failures of the Prequels and focus on making the new movies feel more like the Classic Trilogy than the last few films did.
Old November 8 2013, 12:39 AM   #12
JD
Admiral

I'm pretty excited for this. I have faith in Disney and Abrams. I am a little surprised they aren't doing this as one of their big summer movies, but if they're releasing it at the end of the year as a way to give them extra time to work on the movie, then I'm all for.
Any idea approximately when we should start hearing official casting and other hiring news?
Old November 8 2013, 12:42 AM   #13
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I am still bothered by the fact they dumped Arndt for Kasdan and they are pushing back the release date. This can't be good imo.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 12:50 AM   #14
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

But on the bright side Lawrence Kasdan co-wrote both Empire and Jedi. Kasdan has proven he knows how to help write some great or downright amazing Star Wars screenplays....let's just hope he hasn't gotten as rusty between Star Wars gigs when it comes to writing as Lucas did when it came to directing.

The twenty-plus year gap between the original film and The Phantom Menace really showed a decline in the man's directing skills and instincts.
Old November 8 2013, 12:54 AM   #15
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

It might work out for the best but consider me disappointed about Star Wars being given a holiday release. I know Star Wars isn't the top franchise anymore (that's Avengers) but still, it's the Babe Ruth of franchises. Treat it like that but Disney just wants to mass market the hell out of it. Star Wars is and should remain a summer franchise.

I can't say this is a surprise though once they hired JJ "Don't push me, I'm coming" Abrams.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote