MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 7 2013, 04:56 PM   #31
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Yeah, but that also has to go to other licensing fees as well. It's definitely the HBO model and it'll hopefully work out, but it does feel a bit on the low side.
Old November 7 2013, 05:33 PM   #32
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

No Netflix here.
Old November 7 2013, 06:06 PM   #33
Alidar Jarok

You can't even stream netflix?
Old November 7 2013, 07:10 PM   #34
superdeluxe
Captain

This is so epic.

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 08:13 PM   #35
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I'm as die-hard an MCU fan as anyone, but, man... this all sounds kinda overwhelming, and maybe not in the good way. We'll see? As always, Sean O'Neal of the AV Club puts it best:

Forming a super-team of the kind that media fanboys only dreamed of in their speculative fiction, Marvel and Netflix have joined forces to produce four original live-action series, a partnership that promises to safeguard the world against the threats of not having superheroes on every single entertainment platform and maybe going outside sometimes. The dynamically profitable duo will vanquish these beginning in 2015, with four thirteen-episode series based on Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage—all culminating in a The Defenders “miniseries event,” in which a team of Marvel heroes will once more tentatively assemble, albeit in a way that’s a little less proactively “avenging” and a lot more defensive. (“Oh, I guess M.O.D.O.K. killing everyone is our problem, because The Avengers are too busy with the important stuff…”)
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 08:21 PM   #36
Alidar Jarok

So random thought. Is Kingpin Daredevil or Spiderman? Daredevil struck me as one of the more grounded heroes and Kingpin could do a lot to keep him grounded. It also works well with the idea of him being in Hell's Kitchen and dealing with the poor and downtrodden who are being exploited by people like Kingpin. But, of course, they don't have to go that route.
Old November 7 2013, 08:25 PM   #37
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The Netflix deal is being sorely mis-branded. Yes, I know it says there in the description it says
reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.”
but why not just say what this is...Heroes for Hire, guest starring Daredevil.
It's not the Defenders, not in the myriad of permutations that team name has been applied do these 4 characters resemble Defenders. They are Heroes for Hire, with DD doing pro bono assistance.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 08:57 PM   #38
JD
Admiral

I just looked on Wikipedia, and the only one of the four who's never been on The Defenders team is Jessica Jones. It has DD down as a '70s recruit.
I wonder if this will be part of the MCU, or it's own separate universe?
Old November 7 2013, 08:58 PM   #39
Christopher
Writer

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
It's a shame Hell's Kitchen isn't as shitty as it once was (OK, for the people living there, it probably isn't), but the Marvel Universe is slightly different from ours, so that's ok.
I had the thought that the Battle of New York probably damaged the city's economy, so the MCU's Clinton/Hell's Kitchen could've backslid somewhat from its real-world gentrification. That would justify it being more like the comics' version.

ETA: I know next to nothing about the Defenders. A quick wikipedia search says at least Iron Fist and Luke Cage are involved (and Jessica Jones has connections to Luke Cage), so that could work out. Daredevil doesn't seem to have real connections, but I'd have no problem with him joining with them to make this work out.
Wikipedia's List of Defenders members does include Ol' Hornhead as a recurring/associate member.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 09:14 PM   #40
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Daredevil struck me as one of the more grounded heroes and Kingpin could do a lot to keep him grounded. It also works well with the idea of him being in Hell's Kitchen and dealing with the poor and downtrodden who are being exploited by people like Kingpin. But, of course, they don't have to go that route.
Kingpin was in the Daredevil movie, so I assume Marvel got him back with the DD rights.
Old November 7 2013, 09:46 PM   #41
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's a shame Hell's Kitchen isn't as shitty as it once was (OK, for the people living there, it probably isn't), but the Marvel Universe is slightly different from ours, so that's ok.
I had the thought that the Battle of New York probably damaged the city's economy, so the MCU's Clinton/Hell's Kitchen could've backslid somewhat from its real-world gentrification. That would justify it being more like the comics' version.
Except... (and forgive me if I can't remember the comic) someone did an issue a couple of years ago where Foggy or maybe Ben Franklin points out that Hell's Kitchen is a great place to live because of Matt and it is shown to resemble the real world version - beyond that, Matt tends to inhabit a generic New York these days rather than anything but name-checking Hell's Kitchen'.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 09:49 PM   #42
Alidar Jarok

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Daredevil struck me as one of the more grounded heroes and Kingpin could do a lot to keep him grounded. It also works well with the idea of him being in Hell's Kitchen and dealing with the poor and downtrodden who are being exploited by people like Kingpin. But, of course, they don't have to go that route.
Kingpin was in the Daredevil movie, so I assume Marvel got him back with the DD rights.
Yeah, I just doublechecked to make sure Spiderman and Daredevil weren't the same studio at the time. Very good point.
Old November 7 2013, 10:46 PM   #43
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

So, people with netflix get awesome marvel related programming, and those of us who can't use it only get Agents of SHIELD. Well, now I can say I outright hate Netflix. It used to just annoy me at times, but now its getting possibly great exclusive marvel programming. Is it that they couldn't find a actual TV station that wanted the shows? I'm betting none of this will ever make it to physical media like DVD's either. This is going to set a bad precedent if it succeeds. I can only hope it fails horribly.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 11:21 PM   #44
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

There are plenty of ways you can see it.
Old November 7 2013, 11:41 PM   #45
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Christopher wrote: View Post
Not a bad thought, and given the proximity of Hell's Kitchen to Midtown, direct effects could've been in play.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote