TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 5 2013, 05:47 PM   #1
MikeS
Fleet Captain

DS9 in HD

Right now CBS are working on presenting DS9 in full HD glory. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, this is only because the station appears briefly in a TNG sixth season episode (Birthright).

I've been wanting to introduce my wife to DS9 for some time. I've been waiting patiently expecting the series to be given the same beautiful treatment that TNG has.

Any news on a possible HD transfer yet? They must surely have all the sales data they need from TNG now to see if it's viable? CBS have also been experimenting with CGI in the past couple of seasons of TNG and the last I heard on the subject was that they'd found some computer files that would assist with recreating some DS9 CGI work.
Old November 6 2013, 02:59 PM   #2
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Re: DS9 in HD

We haven't heard anything yet. I suspect it won't be until the middle of next year until we do. We still have 3 releases left of TNG, 2 of ENT and 1 of TAS (the later two already in HD, and require little work to release), so they have plenty of material to cover the next year, depending on their release schedule.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 11:08 PM   #3
dub
Fleet Captain

These threads keep coming up, and all I can say is "I'm in!" I can't wait and I hope they do it soon! I know widescreen is not going to happen because of the extra stuff (lights, microphones, etc) on the sides likely in many shots, plus the director's focus was always what was in the SD safe area, but that would be a-mazing! Either way, bring it on and I will reach deep into my pockets for the cause!

(I'm keeping the "not if but when" attitude. )
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 11:10 PM   #4
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I may be way wrong on this, but I heard a rumor (I don't remember if it was refuted or not) that at some point they started filming with widescreen in mind (for both DS9 and VOY) since they knew that's where television was headed, so while the frame may still seem cluttered in the center (since they knew it would air in 4x3), there wouldn't be equipment on the sides.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 11:21 PM   #5
MickJo1701
Commander

trekker670 wrote: View Post
I may be way wrong on this, but I heard a rumor (I don't remember if it was refuted or not) that at some point they started filming with widescreen in mind (for both DS9 and VOY) since they knew that's where television was headed, so while the frame may still seem cluttered in the center (since they knew it would air in 4x3), there wouldn't be equipment on the sides.
I vaguely remember reading something along the lines of this also, I think they began shooting with widescreen in mind during DS9's fifth season.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 11:25 PM   #6
dub
Fleet Captain

Boy I hope you're right, trekker. That would be very, very cool. A wonderful surprise it would be.

Unrelated to the blurays, but these newly created (fan-made) HD DS9 clips posted to youtube make me drool...

Old November 6 2013, 11:38 PM   #7
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I like the small details you can see better like inside the windows and every nook and shape of the ships.... the super glowing phasers and nacelles I could do without.
Old November 6 2013, 11:41 PM   #8
dub
Fleet Captain

not a fan of the 'ol panty hose filter there, R. Star?
Old November 7 2013, 12:08 AM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral

As that one's labelled test, I decided to be kind and just dismiss it as a work in progress. I was actually most impressed by those little windows in the back of the runabout... never realized those -were- windows.
Old November 7 2013, 12:30 AM   #10
dub
Fleet Captain

and the tiny windows on the side. Cool stuff.
Old November 7 2013, 10:52 AM   #11
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Voyager is likely to be done first in HD I think.

It would be cool to watch some of those battles in HD glory however.
Old November 7 2013, 11:51 AM   #12
MikeS
Fleet Captain

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Oh, I hope not. Sales of Voyager would likely kill any financial incentive to do DS9.
Old November 7 2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

DS9 in HD would actually be what would make me switch to BlueRay. The franchise should be done in order, so DS9 should definately be next.
Old November 7 2013, 02:32 PM   #14
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

DS9 shouldn't be any harder to remaster than TNG until the last couple of seasons when they made the switch to CGI. Voyager switched to CGI earlier in its run so it'd probably be harder to do due to the sheer number of episodes.

This interview with CBS Digital suggests that DS9 will be next at around 16:20. "I think there's going to be more of this, Deep Space Nine there's talk about already."
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 06:50 PM   #15
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

GameOn wrote: View Post

DS9 shouldn't be any harder to remaster than TNG until the last couple of seasons when they made the switch to CGI. Voyager switched to CGI earlier in its run so it'd probably be harder to do due to the sheer number of episodes.

This interview with CBS Digital suggests that DS9 will be next at around 16:20. "I think there's going to be more of this, Deep Space Nine there's talk about already."
Interesting.

Well, I'm enjoying DS9 so far in my second viewing of it from the beginning. Nothing in the first 2 seasons is calling out for HD treatment yet IMO though.