MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 7 2013, 04:55 AM   #181
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Well wasn't it fall during the proposal, "not two years later." So it could be fall 2014. That gives more wiggle room.

ETA: I guess Agent Richard said that on the last page too.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 12:58 PM   #182
Scout101
Admiral

enough wiggle room to have the child EXIST, but still disappointing. Engaged in fall of 2014, child by late 2015, so definitely very knocked up at the wedding. Unless they get married within a month of the proposal, I suppose...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 05:08 PM   #183
tighr
Commodore

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Well wasn't it fall during the proposal, "not two years later." So it could be fall 2014. That gives more wiggle room.
The only evidence that it was Autumn during the proposal is the trees changing colors. Chances are that scene was filmed recently, and the current season is... Fall.

On top of that, the background was definitely green-screened. They weren't really standing atop a lighthouse.
Old November 9 2013, 03:42 AM   #184
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Unless the last two seasons take place in 2012...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 04:02 AM   #185
Scout101
Admiral

That would make sense, since this season is just a continuation of the last episode from spring of 2012. Still...

Met in spring of 2012.

Not two years later, engaged. Call it fall of 2013, that's about a year and a half, which would fit the narrative.

Even with a very brief engagement, they get married by mid 2014 and assuming star wars was LATE 2015, it just works, and still involves almost a wedding night pregnancy. And that assumes a super fast engagement to make it work. It's not impossible, but after setting this as a big romantic narrative, a quick engagement and immediate knock-up is kinda disappointing.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old November 9 2013, 04:21 AM   #186
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The wedding takes place on May 25, 2013. It's not 2012.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 10:17 PM   #187
Scout101
Admiral

ha, crap. brain failed me there, just had it in my head 'that was last season' and subtracted a year

Ok, now we're screwed then.

Spring of '13 they meet. Not two years later, they get engaged. So, fall of '14? Year and a half, it fits. Gives them 15 months to get married and have a kid for the end of 2015. So, even if they get married almost immediately, it's quick.
Old November 11 2013, 04:49 AM   #188
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

It's a TV show people, that's all.

In the real world people have children, then maybe get married, then have a few more children out of wedlock.
Old November 12 2013, 03:00 AM   #189
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I thought... Eh, another episode without the mother. Then she turned around. Nice twist with Barney having met her already. Then she goes and ruins his fun (and those pick-ups were fun and cleverly written I must say). They have to set her up as being someone special though, something that's been done well so far.

Was this episode connected to an earlier one?
Old November 12 2013, 03:04 AM   #190
Finn
Vice Admiral

I'm betting the mother met (or will meet) them all before Ted

I'll make a flashback scene where Marshall scares her away so he'd win his bet, a few years back.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 03:05 AM   #191
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ That's the plan.
Old November 12 2013, 05:55 AM   #192
Aldo
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I thought... Eh, another episode without the mother. Then she turned around. Nice twist with Barney having met her already. Then she goes and ruins his fun (and those pick-ups were fun and cleverly written I must say). They have to set her up as being someone special though, something that's been done well so far.

Was this episode connected to an earlier one?
Well it showed that Barney wrote 'The Robin' because of The Mother. If you recall 'The Robin' is the play that Barney uses to eventually propose to Robin. It also reveals why Ted is leaving for Chicago after the wedding, and it also showed why Marshall is so interested in Ted ending up with Robin. Yes it's because of the bet, but also because he wants him to be happy. It didn't really show us anything new, but it did reveal the why and hows of a few things that have come to pass.

I enjoyed this episode a lot. I was already liking it from the start because it was a nice break from this seasons format. I've always defended the new format, but it was nice having a break. I really loved that The Mother was instrumental in setting Barney on the path that lead him to propose to Robin, for some reason that was really touching to me.

Also, it took me about halfway through the episode to realize that Marshall and Ted were watching the Globetrotters play and rooting against them. That was a nice subtle joke.
Old November 12 2013, 06:15 AM   #193
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ Thanks. I could tell that these events were tied to a past episode but I don't have a detailed enough memory of what happened to really appreciate everything.

Something else hit me... Who would be grossed out by the idea of kissing Cobie Smulders?
Old November 12 2013, 01:15 PM   #194
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

This could have been easily the worst episode of the season up until the point where they re-introduced Bryan Cranston (and who didn't get a Walter White vibe in his short, angry moments? ) and The Mother.

However i'm so sick of sad Ted without a partner.. it really grinds my gears now. Go introduce the Mother to him finally and have them start the relationship!
Old November 12 2013, 01:21 PM   #195
Mr Light
Admiral

It was a very refreshing change of pace to have a traditional non-wedding-set episode. And huge bonus points for Barney meeting Mother in the past and her changing his life! And for the return of Bryan Cranson! It was so weird to see him hamming it up after watching Breaking Dad haha

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote