Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 7 2013, 05:07 AM   #1456
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Fitzsimmons will always be Fitzsimmons.
I don't know. They were bickering more than usual this week, and next week sees Fitz going off on a mission with Ward. I'm thinking maybe their experience in the field might be broadening their horizons a bit, making them consider other possibilities and maybe drift away from each other. They're still friends, but maybe they won't want to be joined at the hip all the time. I can see them maybe getting tired of being treated as one entity with a compound name.
I can see the show having them explore other options from time to time, but I have no doubt that they'll always go back to each other and their odd little more-than-professional-not-quite-romantic union. If anything does change, I think it'll go the romantic route.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 05:11 AM   #1457
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
I did notice the odd couple of seconds but didn't get what it signified. Was there some hidden meaning?
Yep, that's the question.
Old November 7 2013, 06:05 AM   #1458
propita
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
I did notice the odd couple of seconds but didn't get what it signified. Was there some hidden meaning?
Yep, that's the question.
Had I not already deleted it, I'd watch it again. Fitz sits there and hugs his pillow, which is usually an action for self-comfort or for the pillow to act as an physical and/or emotional barrier between the person and the world. Yet he doesn't seem visibly upset enough for it to be either. He was more emotional while Simmons was there, kinda flirting with him--though she may have merely been expressing her appreciation and concerned with Fitz's self-deprecations.

I think it's something to do with characterization, but I'm willing to just let it play out. Discussion and speculation, though, is fun.

Do LMDs Have blood to pass physicals? If Coulson's a robot, would he need to be conditioned about Tahiti, or was that "just" programming, like a password or something. And, btw, he is NOT "old." He's hot, in his way--but then I usually find intelligent men to be attractive.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 06:09 AM   #1459
JD
Admiral

I thought this was one of, if not the, best episodes of the series so far. We got a lot of nice stuff for Fitzsimmons, and more stuff dealing with what happened to Coulson. At this point, I'm starting to lean more towards him being the original Coulson who was brought back to life somehow. I'm not totally ruling out the possibility of him being an LMD, but it's not my top choice at the moment.
EDIT: I just looked up LMDs on Wikipedia, and it says they are outwardly indistinguishable from the original, but any invasive procedures or am EMP pulse will expose them. It also says that they're controlled by the person that they're mimicing. I don't if that would totally eliminate it as a possibility, since the TV show can change things in any way they want, but it does make it seem a little less likely to me.
Old November 7 2013, 06:12 AM   #1460
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

In a nice little bit of attention to detail, Saffron Burrows' Victoria Hand will have Hand's trademark red streaks in her hair.
Old November 7 2013, 10:26 AM   #1461
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's been a year or two since Luke Cage's Mighty Avengers since I last saw Victoria.

I did love how they played that will she won't she #### us over to... Well, just about anyone.

Would they get into trouble if she even used the words "My former Employer"?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 11:11 AM   #1462
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

This was another great episode, and probably the best so far. Coulson's talk with the dying fireman was heartbreaking (and a nice fake out, since it started out with the implication that he was the villain-- except there was no villain-- which was something else I liked). It was great to see Fitz and Simmons finally get their spotlight, and their relationship has become even more fascinating. I liked Ward's Bond homage in rescuing Gemma and his big-brother speech where he was dismayed about not being able to protect everybody. The episode had a lot of nice, touching moments. The best part was probably Fitz going to jump out of the plane to save Gemma-- what a great moment that was. And, of course, the conversation between May and Coulson. What is she hiding from him?
Old November 7 2013, 05:50 PM   #1463
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Would they get into trouble if she even used the words "My former Employer"?

They'd just be nitpicking at that point. "Former Employer" could be anyone.

November 19th episode titled 'The Well'.

"In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel's 'Thor: The Dark World', Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces–one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team."

What I think would be cool is if there's an episode that runs parallel to what's happening in "Winter Soldier"

Maybe Fitz and Simmons are on the helicarrier that crashes in DC which we see in the movie trailer.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 06:06 PM   #1464
Christopher
Writer

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
What I think would be cool is if there's an episode that runs parallel to what's happening in "Winter Soldier"
It's already been announced that events of the season will build up to the status quo of that movie.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 06:56 PM   #1465
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
And, of course, the conversation between May and Coulson. What is she hiding from him?
Maybe i misheard or misinterpreted it but i got the vibe that May was in "Tahiti" too. It was implied that May also died in the line of duty yet she came back (maybe through normal medical methods) and that she knows how Coulson must feel.

The kicker would be that maybe she found out (if she was in "Tahiti") what they did and maybe it's also standard procedure for top level agents like Coulson and May to be brought back in case something should happen and that's why she wanted the desk job (better theory would be that she made a big mistake that cost the lives of people needlessly or she had to make one hard choice too many).

However Coulson is on to something.. maybe this talk convinced him to give it a rest because there's no evidence to be found but i guess somewhere down the line something will happen that will re-spark his interest.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 07:24 PM   #1466
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
Did they say somewhere behind the scenes that Coulson is a LMD, a legit source, or is that fan speculation?
Pure speculation. They wouldn't just give us the answer to the season's big mystery. Fans have just been assuming he's an LMD because it's the obvious guess -- which is exactly why I'm positive he's not an LMD. Not much of a mystery if the answer is the exact thing all the fans have been guessing from day one (and yes, I'm looking at you, Star Trek Into Darkness).
The whole opening dialogue played with the idea that coulson is an artificial lifeform--a little rusty, a man my age, etc.
1) Artificial lifeform
+
2) Has blood and can successfully mimic a human
+
3) Much older than he looks
+
4) Established Marvel connection
=
Jim Hammond.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 07:43 PM   #1467
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Surely then Captain America would have recognized him, if they played gotcha nose with Hitler together?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 07:50 PM   #1468
Christopher
Writer

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Maybe i misheard or misinterpreted it but i got the vibe that May was in "Tahiti" too. It was implied that May also died in the line of duty yet she came back (maybe through normal medical methods) and that she knows how Coulson must feel.
I'd say she went through something traumatic, possibly a near-death experience, but not "Tahiti." She wasn't saying they'd both been through some abnormal resurrection, just that they had both gone through a trauma and been changed by it, as anyone would be.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 07:56 PM   #1469
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
I didn't quite get that understanding. I think that, whatever it was she went through, it changed her in a way that what Coulson went through changed him. However, the details don't necessarily parallel themselves at all.
Old November 7 2013, 08:34 PM   #1470
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Surely then Captain America would have recognized him, if they played gotcha nose with Hitler together?
Only if there were Invaders in the MCU. I'm not even suggesting that there was necessarily a Human Torch superhero. But it appears that Horton did create a synthezoid which we saw briefly in CA.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote