TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 7 2013, 02:29 AM   #1
Shat Happens
Captain

Things you got "wrong"

Do you remember watching the movies/series, before the tide of expanded material in books and magazines and then obviously the internet, and guessing things about the tech or character actions which you learnt aterwards it was not the intent of the designers/moviemakers? layout of the ship, for example.

Me first: In the movie Enterprise (also known as "refit", "Enterprise class", "NCC-1701-A", whichever you prefer), I remember seeing those big windows in the cigar section with bright blue light coming out and being absolutely sure that was the Engineering room, where Scotty had tha big luminous blue reactor. I even concluded the windows had shutters because of the inside scenes. But the blue light was definitely the reactor.

Then I bought Shane Johnson's book and "learned" that was "really" a botanical garden.

( Why a garden would be colored/lighted blue instead of, say, green, I cant guess )
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Shat Happens
Captain

Re: Things you got "wrong"

hey, mods, move this to "general discussion"?
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 03:20 AM   #3
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

Done.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 03:32 AM   #4
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Early 70s, I was a little kid loving TOS. Drew pictures of the Enterprise, as kids do.

I drew crew and decks all over the ship, up to and including the nacelles--which I didn't know were nacelles. I thought they were other sections of the ship with people, like the primary hull and secondary hull.

Star Trek Confessions: As a little kid, I thought people lived up in the nacelles of the Enterprise.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 03:33 AM   #5
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
Do you remember watching the movies/series, before the tide of expanded material in books and magazines and then obviously the internet, and guessing things about the tech or character actions which you learnt aterwards it was not the intent of the designers/moviemakers? layout of the ship, for example.

Me first: In the movie Enterprise (also known as "refit", "Enterprise class", "NCC-1701-A", whichever you prefer), I remember seeing those big windows in the cigar section with bright blue light coming out and being absolutely sure that was the Engineering room, where Scotty had tha big luminous blue reactor. I even concluded the windows had shutters because of the inside scenes. But the blue light was definitely the reactor.

Then I bought Shane Johnson's book and "learned" that was "really" a botanical garden.

( Why a garden would be colored/lighted blue instead of, say, green, I cant guess )
Tinted windows.

For me, it was the idea that the main viewscreen of the original Enterprise bridge was aligned with the forward axis of the ship, when it really was 30-degrees or so offside (the turbolift is aligned with the forward axis instead).

Last edited by C.E. Evans; November 7 2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added the word "bridge"
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Captain Rob
Commodore

I always thought that the phasers fired out of the big glowy dome on the bottom of the primary hull. And wondered why they never fired from the top glowy dome.
Old November 7 2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

In TMP, I thought the intermix chamber was just a conduit that delivered power to the rest of the ship from the nacelles. I also thought the antimatter was up in the nacelles. I was still thinking in TOS and TAS terms, in which the nacelles were more or less implied to house the antimatter reaction.

Then, I got the cutaway poster for the refit and learned that for TMP it was now the other way around and that antimatter was fed into the intermix chamber from the bottom of the secondary hull.

I still think my original interpretation (which isn't contradicted on screen in any way that matters, if at all, even in TWOK) is better.
Old November 7 2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Forbin
Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
For me, it was the idea that the main viewscreen of the original Enterprise bridge was aligned with the forward axis of the ship,
It is.

when it really was 30-degrees or so offside (the turbolift is aligned with the forward axis instead).
It isn't.

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

For years, I thought "The Galileo Seven" referred to the shuttle, not the number of passengers aboard.
Old November 7 2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Lance
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
For years, I thought "The Galileo Seven" referred to the shuttle, not the number of passengers aboard.
The really cool thing about that one is that it's both.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 03:35 PM   #11
CaptPapa
Commander

This one will seem pretty lame now, but when I first watched TOS (I was 11 when it premiered) I thought the viewscreen was a window that the bridge crew looked out of to see whatever was happening. I can't imagine how I still remember that, since I don't remember alot of other things that have happened since - maybe it was my sharp reaction when I discovered that the viewscreen was not a window. Oh well, ain't youth grand though?
Old November 7 2013, 04:03 PM   #12
22 Stars
Commodore

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
This one will seem pretty lame now, but when I first watched TOS (I was 11 when it premiered) I thought the viewscreen was a window that the bridge crew looked out of to see whatever was happening. I can't imagine how I still remember that, since I don't remember alot of other things that have happened since - maybe it was my sharp reaction when I discovered that the viewscreen was not a window. Oh well, ain't youth grand though?
Nice to have JJ here on the board!
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 04:34 PM   #13
Chuck4
Ensign

When I was 11 I thought the writers for star trek were scientifically literate.
Chuck4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Richard Baker
Captain

I was watching on a old Black & White set when the show was first broadcast and had no idea what color things were for years.
I expected Spock to be a light pale green instead of regular human skin tone. They always talked about his green blood so I just sorta assumed....
I did not expect so much bright red in the sets either.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 04:51 PM   #15
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

When I was very, very little I thought the bridge took up the entire saucer.