Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old November 6 2013, 12:08 AM   #331
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

I think Neelix is in love with the whole Voyager experience. Really it's like he's joined a cult, plucked from his grubby lonely life and whisked away by Starfleet wonderfulness.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 12:13 AM   #332
Melakon
Vice Admiral

The series title Voyager could almost apply to Neelix himself.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 12:32 AM   #333
teacake
Admiral

Yes. Let's make the entire show about Neelix's journey.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 6 2013, 12:59 AM   #334
Melakon
Vice Admiral

From interplanetary junk dealer to Imperious Leader of a remote mining colony.
Old November 6 2013, 01:40 AM   #335
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Not to mention his adventures of jealous stalking, kitchen tyranny, annoying crew members and forcing himself into every situation. That'll be a hit!
Old November 6 2013, 12:21 PM   #336
teacake
Admiral

Reality tv series.

WHY oh why didn't we get this for one Voy ep. Faux reality shaky cam of a day in the life of Neelix on VOY.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 6 2013, 06:09 PM   #337
Melakon
Vice Admiral

It would have worked for his closed-circuit "Morning with Neelix" broadcasts or whatever they were. Except no big mystery to unravel. Just his usual barging onto the bridge in the middle of some crisis and making an ass of himself while endangering the ship. Neelix as the Dr. Smith of Voyager.
Old November 7 2013, 09:35 AM   #338
Lipton
Lieutenant Commander

Next up... "Distant Origin". Some people think it was the best episode of season 3 ever. What will NightJim think? Stay tuned to find out!

"Tuvok, has anyone ever told you, you're a real freakasaurus?" - Tom Paris
Lipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 09:38 AM   #339
teacake
Admiral

IMO Distant Origin is..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 7 2013, 10:23 AM   #340
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Fred Flintstone ####ed his garbage disposal.

It all makes perfect sense.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 02:40 PM   #341
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

So after Lipton's post I made time to watch Distant Origin, and I'm going to write my thoughts before checking Teacake's opinion.

Due to the huge gaps in my season 3 viewing I'm not sure I'd mark it as the best the season has to offer, but it is most certainly up there. I love episodes that take an alternative perspective to what we're used too.

I also love the scientific approach to the whole thing, and that it comes down to the powerful not wanting to give up their grip on society. It's modern day thinking applied to a culture more technologically advanced than the Federation done incredibly well. Chakotay even gets a good speech, and I've been thinking that in the last few episodes his descent in being bland is well on it's way.

However, I didn't like the reasoning behind the the Voth's escape/our lack of knowledge. The Doctor and Janeway's analysis indicates that it's the removal from the extinction event that puts the Voth were they are, yet Chakotay and Gegan basically pin it on the Atlantis theory and it's handwaved for the rest of the episode. A species capable of fleeing the planet but just leaving the dinosaurs to it doesn't fit. Nor does them travelling all the way to the Delta Quadrant before settling. If we ever see the Voth again hopefully that gets addressed. If anything I think it needed to be an abduction clause. Some alien race saved Saurapods from the Extinction Event. I realise that this makes it a bit similar to The 37s, but it's far more fitting, and allows for the Voth's belief system to sit a lot better. Could it even be the same race?

Teacake, lol how come? The fact it ties everything back to Earth?
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 10:30 AM   #342
NightJim
Commander

So I spent all yesterday in bed feeling sorry for myself with cold/flu. And watched quite a lot of Voyager too.

Displaced
Nice episode, liked the clandestine approach to taking over a spaceship. These guys are some pretty insidious aliens.

Worst Case Scenario - Awesome episode. I absolutely loved this alternate take on the two crews. The fact everyone's moved on so much that it's now seen as a holonovel instead of what Tuvok originally intended it for. Plus it's a holodeck episode that isn't a malfunction, but something that's actually programmed to happen by a striking from the grave Seska. Genius. Also, and I'm not sure I've said this before, but I love Tuvok/Paris interplay.

Scorpion
Hellooo Seven of Nine. Well maybe not just yet. She's still full-on Borg here, but Jeri Ryan's hips still certainly sway. IF anything that might be might minor complaint. She does a great job as an ex-Borg trying to assimilate back to being human, but as a full Borg she has a bit too much feminine grace to her movements. All said, Scorpion is great, but not quite as epic as I remember it.

The Gift - Seven doesn't want to be human. This is some really good stuff here, she really does come across as a little girl who has lost the only thing she knows. I'm not sure about Janeway's answer to "what if I get my independance back and want to go back?"
Meanwhile Kes is becoming a God. So much of this episode reminded me of when she had her powers amped by the other Ocampa. The scenes between Janeway and Kes were great, and I wonder how close to Lien leaving they were filmed, because they both felt incredibly genuine.
We also have our first shortcut. Ten years off, pretty nice.
I also really liked that the Borg upgrades were still here. It's almost Scorpion part 3. Voyager can do continuity when it wants!

Day of Honour
And now they've gone. Well at least all the problems in Engineering feel like a logical progression of what happened previously. And Vorik's back! Finally B'elanna and Tom are together, that feels like it's been going on forever. Though it works quite well. But why in God's name does B'elanna's space suit have boobs? What if two members of the same sex were on board. Bloody stupid design.
The interstellar beggars were nice, and I liked the final "Give the man a fishing rod and he'll eat for the rest of his life" solution. Though I think I'd have been on Chakotay's side of "We've got better weapons".

Nemesis.
Oh dear. Why did I have to watch one more episode. I was hoping for some Tom/B'elanna stuff now they're together. Instead I get Full Metal Starfleet.
And why is Chakotay giving holier than thou peace speeches. Sure he's grown in the last three years, but he was freedom fighter before that, he might not agree with them, but he should understand them. Especially as they're in the middle of war. That whole bit just didn't sit right.
Also yet another shuttlecraft. That's three in three episodes. We're really starting to go through them now.
The ending was a nice twist to what I was expecting though. Oh, and I nearly made a Predator joke instead of Full Metal Jacket, which would have worked with the look of the aliens.
Old November 9 2013, 10:33 AM   #343
teacake
Admiral

NightJim wrote: View Post

Teacake, lol how come? The fact it ties everything back to Earth?
I think I reacted to the lessons and tieing everything back, yeah. It just seemed classically Roddenberry which is what it is.

How many times have humans flung themselves out to the stars only to find something about uhh... humans out there. Does this happen to other species?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 10 2013, 02:39 AM   #344
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Figured I'd chime in with some thoughts of my own since I'm not that far behind the OP in my own Voyager (re)watch. I'm not going to cover every episode he/she has, but will offer some thoughts on a few of them:
Fair Trade
One of my favorite episodes of the season to date, and a really good character episode for Neelix.

Blood Fever
Another standout episode that really gives us some great character development for both Tom and B'Elanna, and serves to foreshadow their eventual relationship.

Unity
An extremely pivotal episode for Voyager as a whole as well as for the season, and a great way to bring the Borg into the series. I really wish we would've seen Riley Frazier and her Cooperative again, but it would've required them to have left their planet since Voyager was 'on the move', as it were.

Rise
I really don't understand the hatred for this episode; I liked the way it explored Neelix and Tuvok's relationship and gave us more backstory on Neelix, and I also really liked the concept, which didn't remind me of anything I'd seen before.

Darkling
Another ep that seems to be hated by many, but one that I, as a major fan of the Jekyll and Hyde story (particularly the Frank Wildhorn/Leslie Bricuse musical adaptation thereof), rather enjoyed.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 09:46 AM   #345
NightJim
Commander

For me, I think the exploration of Tuvok and Neelix's relationship had been done before and better in previous episodes. The situation is certainly unique, but that wasn't enough to feel like the rest wasn't a retread.