RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 518
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 4 2013, 08:31 AM   #196
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Arrow - Season 2

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Will we see League of Assassins members like Ra's, Talia, Lady Shiva, and Cassandra Cain? But I guess the villain of the season is Brother Blood. So they'll most likely focus on him.

Unlike Smallville, there doesn't seem to be any supernatural or out-of-this-world element on this show that would include superpowered beings, aliens, magic folk, etc. Otherwise, they would've shown a different version of Blood, or a Black Canary with a real sonic scream.
You have no idea what's coming.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 08:43 AM   #197
CorporalClegg
Admiral

My guess is Barry is a test of concept.

Really, I don't care what's coming as long as it brings more Celina Jade with it.
Old November 4 2013, 09:04 AM   #198
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Once Meta humans enter the fray.

Oliver is going to have no choice.

Boxing Glove Arrow

It's the only conceivable equalizer the man has.

Old November 4 2013, 07:46 PM   #199
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Well, she never acted as an assassin, had no sister, was named Dinah Laurel Lance, and didn't know Ollie until they met as superheroes. She also wasn't trained by the league of assassins, she was trained mostly by her mom's friend, ted grant aka Wildcat.
That's just one version though. There have been a couple of versions in the comics and one on Smallville.

The Golden age version went by the name Dinah Drake, didn't have the Canary Cry and was the daughter of a police detective. She also pretended to be a criminal at first. When she got her own strip she worked with police detective Larry Lance.

In the Silver Age she and Larry were married and lived on Earth 2. When Larry died she moved to Earth 1, gained the Canary Cry and became involved with Green Arrow.

In the Bronze they realized BC was getting too old ( she debuted in the late 40s) and pulled a retcon making the BC in the JLA the daughter of the BC in the JSA. (Though the elder BC was dead) She thought she was her mother though ( which is kind of ewwww). A very convoluted story.

After COIE, they stuck with the two Canary angle. But the elder Dinah was still alive and the younger version was trained by the JSA. Which is the version you're familiar with.

The Arrow version hits the key marks: Martial artist, Canary Cry and daughter of a crime fighter.
Well, I don't think having a cop dad = daughter of a crimefighter, but BC is more than a martial artist with gadgets (which is what her Canary cry is in Arrow, any gadget based hero probably has had a sonic device at some point, and yes I know the comic version used something like that when her vocal cords were damaged) anyway. Its basically just superficial similarities. Personality wise, neither Golden/Silver/Bronze/Post crisis versions were assassins, or were a-holes like Arrow BC has already admitted to being. Its like if they introduced superman and he was a depressing, murderer with no personality...actually, bad example. Basically, I'm just trying to say that a superhero isn't just made by their powers, its a way of acting.

Having similar or identical powers does not make you the same character, regardless of your name. Batman and Prometheus have several similar traits, but they're not the same person at all. For a different example, DC's pre Crisis Earth 2 Huntress (Helena Wayne) was, from a personality perspective, very different from the post crisis Helena Bertinelli, even though they were basically identical in appearance and powers. I'd say arrow BC has less in common with post crisis comic BC than the two versions of huntress had, but more in common than Batman and Prometheus have. Or, let's put it one more way. Arrow BC is about as much like the normal BC as Doc Ock's "Superior" Spider-Man is to Peter Parker's "Amazing" Spider-Man. Same powers, even (in Spider-Man's case) the same appearance, but wildly different people.

Also, just for reference, all my BC connections are to the post COIE version, which is almost certainly the best known comic version. So, no being her own mom or coming from Earth 2.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 07:55 PM   #200
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

She's not like Phillip J Fry or Dave Lister.

No Time travel shagging her own dad.

They just cut her continuity in two and poured the half of it set in WWII into a mother they had just invented.

Old November 4 2013, 08:10 PM   #201
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Will we see League of Assassins members like Ra's, Talia, Lady Shiva, and Cassandra Cain? But I guess the villain of the season is Brother Blood. So they'll most likely focus on him.

Unlike Smallville, there doesn't seem to be any supernatural or out-of-this-world element on this show that would include superpowered beings, aliens, magic folk, etc. Otherwise, they would've shown a different version of Blood, or a Black Canary with a real sonic scream.
Cassandra Cain in the LoA? Really? Her "evil" phase was almost universally hated and even DC, who loves to stick by their boneheaded decisions, back peddled furiously from it and explained it away as Cain being drugged after the fans completely freaked out on them. She's really not someone connected to LoA outside of that almost universally hated story arc, at least not as a member. Her mom, Lady Shiva, was a member though. I don't think we'll ever see her in live action, but if we do I don't think even Arrow, with its lack of caring about the comics, would use an evil, assassin version of CC. I could see Lady Shiva, talia and other better known evil characters, but not CC. It would be like introducing Nathanial Adam (aka Captain Atom) but have him show up as Monarch or having Dick Grayson show up as Renegade.

To be clear, I'm a huge fan of Cassandra. She's in my top 5 favorite DC characters. I just hope we never see her in Arrow, at least not like that. I could see her working in the show if done right, though. Introduce Shiva, then bring in Cassandra as someone hunting Shiva/the LoA, and it could work. You could even make it a BC/Lady Shiva/CC thing. But as much as I love Arrow, evil CC would be something that would make me stop watching. I'm just glad there is basically no chance of seeing her or someone with her name, because I doubt they'd use her right.
Old November 5 2013, 07:16 AM   #202
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

To be honest, I don't know her character well enough. But it looks like they're going for the League of Assassins angle when they mentioned Ra's al Ghul and that Canary was associated with him at some point. It's just one of those things that's a departure from comic book continuity.
Old November 5 2013, 07:50 PM   #203
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I'd like to see the LoA. I don't think there is any chance of ever seeing Ra's, but we might get Talia. I'm sure we'll being seeing more of the organization, atleast, and it will probably be cool. I don't dislike the BC storyline, its pretty interesting (outside of BC's sidekick, obviously). While I'd much prefer a good BC, this will probably be a good storyline. Besides, we may get a heroic, on assassin BC some day. Either way, I'm still excited for Arrow every week.
Old November 5 2013, 08:44 PM   #204
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Ra's should make an appearance. I mean, why bother to mention his name at all if he wasn't going to feature into the story eventually?
Old November 5 2013, 09:43 PM   #205
CorporalClegg
Admiral

The only way he doesn't is if there ends up being embargo bullshit.
Old November 6 2013, 01:46 AM   #206
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

That's what I was thinking. I could see DC not letting him get used because of the movies. I'd love to see him, I'm just not going to be too surprised if we don't.
Old November 6 2013, 02:02 AM   #207
SG-17
Commodore

Did they use League of Assassins or League of Shadows as the name of the organization in Arrow? I can't remember.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 02:09 AM   #208
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure they called it the League of Assassins.
Old November 6 2013, 06:05 AM   #209
JD
Admiral

I kept wondering if all of the references to Oliver thinking Sarah died was a possible set up for the Lazarus Pits. Last season the thought wouldn't have crossed my mind, but we know now that they will be bringing in more fantastical elements, so it's seems to me it's not totally out of the realm of possibility now.

Has Oliver ever dealt with the LoA in the comics?
Old November 6 2013, 08:22 AM   #210
CorporalClegg
Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure they called it the League of Assassins.
They use "Assassins" on the web site.