Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 5 2013, 07:17 AM   #211
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Sleepy Hollow (Spoilers)

The baseball was really good.

Everything else was paint by numbers terrible.

I think Hank McCoy asked Bruce Banner that the other day in a comic... "I have always wondered why you just don't kill yourself?"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 07:23 AM   #212
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Hmm. My only gripe was when Abby said, "Blah blah blah ... or I'm calling the Calvary. "

It's "cavalry," sweet cakes.
Old November 5 2013, 03:58 PM   #213
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ That's starting to become a more common mispronunciation I've noticed, lately, particularly in the American South.

Much like "periphreal vision" and...heh..."mispronounciation".

Nice to see a story line that depicts Masonry in a semi-favorable light for a change. Although I don't think I've ever seen any "hexes" or pickled chicken's feet when in Lodge.

And, for the record, suicide - even when supposedly "necessary" or "noble" - is viewed as strictly taboo. If a member does this, he is expelled posthumously, with no chance for Masonic burial services - name stricken from the roster. Granted, this was a fictional "extreme" case, but still - not gonna happen under any real-world circumstances.

And we generally don't meet in a cave off ancient sewer tunnels, either, but still a very moody and cool atmosphere.
Old November 5 2013, 04:11 PM   #214
Christopher
Writer

I'm not sure Beharie said "Calvary." It sounded like "Calvalry" to me -- like she almost stumbled over the word but fixed it just in time.

But "Calvary" has always been a common mispronunciation in my experience.

Anyway, a pretty impressive episode. They're managing to get some good drama out of their unapologetically ridiculous premise. Although I found it contrived that Crane had only one sin he needed to purge in order to break the connection, and that it wasn't even a real sin.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 04:25 PM   #215
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I got the impression that it was his sin in his own mind, which made it his, regardless if it was or not. Perception is a powerful thing, and if he perceived that the other guy's death was his fault, it would haunt him as such until he allowed himself to be freed from it. It was that internal weakness that the Horseman had latched itself onto.

At least, that's what I gathered from what was said.
Old November 5 2013, 04:26 PM   #216
Borgminister

Maybe it was because that particular sin was linked to the headless horseman. I'm sure he has other sins hidden away there somewhere.

Great to see Walter again!

The show is certainly one of those that's better than it has any right to be. I'd say this was the best episode so far in terms of production values, tight direction, balanced storytelling, and hot female leads...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 04:29 PM   #217
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Agreed, on all fronts. I have been very impressed with it since the beginning. Worlds superior to that insipid new Dracula show, IMO. I couldn't bring myself to watch beyond the pilot and even that was a stretch for me towards the end of the episode. Maybe I'm just burned-out on the whole Vampire/Werewolf/Zombie sub-genres lately, they've been played out to death in the past 10-20 years now. Sleepy Hollow, on the other hand, positively rocks!

I wonder if the real Sleepy Hollow, NY has enjoyed an up-tick in tourism, even though the show wasn't filmed there (North Carolina).
Old November 5 2013, 04:48 PM   #218
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post

I wonder if the real Sleepy Hollow, NY has enjoyed an up-tick in tourism, even though the show wasn't filmed there (North Carolina).
Apparently it has! According to an article I read last week, the real town has seen a boost in tourism since the show debuted.

No surprise there. The previously obscure town of Forks, WA has become a tourist spot since Stephanie Meyer set the TWILIGHT books there, even though the movies were filmed elsewhere.

And last time I visited Snoqualmie,they were still milking the fact that TWIN PEAKS had been filmed there. You could buy maps to key locations and murder sites . . . .
Old November 5 2013, 05:50 PM   #219
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

If you never been, Sleepy Hallow NY is an awesome place to visit.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 06:33 PM   #220
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
If you never been, Sleepy Hallow NY is an awesome place to visit.
And you're interested, the mansion where they filmed the first two Dark Shadows movies is also in the vicinity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndhurst_(mansion)

I wonder if it will turn up in SH at some point?
Old November 5 2013, 10:47 PM   #221
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

The Abby/Ichabod scene before he swallowed the poison was beautifully done. The writing and performances were top-notch.

"You never called me 'Abby' before..." Great stuff.

Add in more Katerina, more Abby's sister, and the introduction of John Noble's character and this episode was full of great stuff.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 10:56 PM   #222
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I still think the sister sounds weird without he fake English accent.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 11:31 PM   #223
Christopher
Writer

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
The Abby/Ichabod scene before he swallowed the poison was beautifully done. The writing and performances were top-notch.

"You never called me 'Abby' before..." Great stuff.
Actually that line was my least favorite part. I felt it undermined the impact of the "OMG he called her Abbie" moment when she actually said "You called me Abbie," as if we weren't smart enough to figure out the significance of the moment for ourselves. Sometimes words are unnecessary.

Old November 6 2013, 12:20 AM   #224
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Yeah, the line could have been smoother. Maybe if he had started with Abbie and then corrected himself instead of her lampshading it.

"Abbie - Leftenant"
Old November 6 2013, 01:44 AM   #225
Christopher
Writer

Why would he have corrected himself? That would've worked against the impact of the moment even worse. Using her first name wasn't a mistake, it was a meaningful gesture, an acknowledgment of what she's come to mean to him. And that spoke volumes on its own without her needing to state the obvious. Nicole Beharie could've sold her reaction with her face alone, because she's awesome. She didn't need the words as a crutch.