Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old October 28 2013, 11:02 PM   #16
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Re: What do people want for the 50th?

Two Enterprises pitted against each other has always appealed, ever since I heard that's what they wanted Generations to be like. Or the poster at any rate.

Naturally you can't just have a whole film about TNG knocking lumps out of the Abramsverse ship, or that iteration making shortwork of an Enterprise from an earlier century. That's not Roddenberry. It has to switch halfway through, and they have to work out it's a setup, then work together.

Then there's the time travel issue. Is it overused or just in need of a fresh approach? Otherwise, it's an underdog tale about old men on a museum piece, outsmarting kids aboard a superior ship.
Old October 29 2013, 04:38 PM   #17
F. King Daniel
Admiral

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post

Naturally you can't just have a whole film about TNG knocking lumps out of the Abramsverse ship, or that iteration making shortwork of an Enterprise from an earlier century.
That may not be the case. According to offhand mentions in Voyager and screen graphics in Into Darkness, the 23rd century AU photon torpedoes actually have higher yields than their 24th century equivalents.
Old October 29 2013, 04:58 PM   #18
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

A Prime Universe miniseries would be really nice, with a mixture of established and new characters on one enormous mission. If it worked and people liked it then it could be a way to launch a new series.

There's nothing to say that a Prime Universe TV series and the NuTrek movies can't be ongoing at the same time--surely people are capable of distinguishing between the two.
Old October 29 2013, 07:49 PM   #19
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

Well, for one I hope we get another Abrams (albeit without Abrams but his writers, of course) Star Trek movie. For some reason I see that as a 50/50 chance of happening at this point. But, I would not doubt if the movie is released for the 50th anniversary, we will see a cameo by The Shat himself in it.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 10:18 PM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well the 50th anniversary is going to be 2016. The 09 movie's production started in early 2007. ID's production really didn't start until 2011 and they were pushing hard to make the 2013 release. Abrams was a principal factor in the delay given he was hesitant to commit to another movie.

So... if they're going to make a 2016 movie, they'd need to crank out a script next year at least to get going. Abrams may not even want to do this one given he's found himself a better gig in Star Wars anyways.
Old October 30 2013, 12:27 AM   #21
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

There will absolutely be a third Abrams film, though he is only going to be involved as producer this time around. It'll be written by Orci and Kurtzman, and directed by somebody else.

As for when it'll be released, it's not unreasonable to expect that it'll be out by the 50th.
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 01:44 AM   #22
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

A 3-hour made-for-TV movie (~130 minutes). A 2-hr would suffice, but I'm dreaming and being greedy....

Prime-Universe, one year after the destruction of Romulus (2388).

Set on Deep Space Nine. A Starfleet armada ---including the Enterprise-E, Voyager, and Titan, of course ---show up for the signing of a major treaty between the Federation and the Romulan Empire, one that will set the stage for a lasting peace.

A group of dissident Rommies go renegade and try to sabotage the Peace process, and Our Heroes must foil the plot and provide the Alpha Quadrant with a legacy of peace and stability.

It would bring everyone back together one last time and provide the true capstone to the 24th C. era Trek.

Not holding my breath...
M-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 01:51 AM   #23
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

^ Not only would it be the final farewell for the TNG-DS9-VOY era, but because it focused on high politics, it could also plant the seeds for the next Trek series set down the road in the Prime-U narrative.

But mainly it would just be a fun reunion....pretty light with a clear moral to the story.
Old October 30 2013, 09:06 AM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The closest thing we're gonna see to that probably is a spazed up convention in Vegas with most of the cast members.
Old November 2 2013, 12:27 PM   #25
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, it's definitely not happening. Just dreamin'
Old November 2 2013, 06:51 PM   #26
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
The closest thing we're gonna see to that probably is a spazed up convention in Vegas with most of the cast members.
Living here, I'd almost have to try and make an effort to make it. I keep missing these conventions.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 05:30 AM   #27
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

My expectations for Doctor Who's 50th were and are much higher because Doctor Who has a series on the air. Star Trek has a movie every 3-4 years. Star Trek doesn't have the same opportunity as Doctor Who to do something big.

I'm not really sure what I want for the 50th. I was annoyed with Into Darkness regurgitating past Trek rather than doing something new, so I don't want Star Trek 3 to be reference overload like Enterprise season 4. I think all I want is a really good movie.

Or, less seriously, a sequel to Star Trek: The 25th Anniversary with all 5 crews brought together by some wacky, convoluted plot. And there had better be an NES port!

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 12:02 PM   #28
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Captain Jed R. wrote: View Post
The 50th anniversary is in a little under three years if I recall correctly, and I'm curious as to what people want to see for it in terms of film and television Trek.
I'd like a new TV series. But for the 50th itself I just expect an awesome movie. Not too many easter eggs, please. That was fine in 2009 but a bit too much in STID.
Old November 5 2013, 06:22 PM   #29
MikeS
Fleet Captain

A NuTrek movie.
A two-hour special similar to the 25th anniversary special.
DS9 in HD.

In fact forget the first two. Just give me DS9 in HD.
Old November 5 2013, 08:27 PM   #30
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

MikeS wrote: View Post
A NuTrek movie.
A two-hour special similar to the 25th anniversary special.
DS9 in HD.
That's exactly what we're getting, and it's a hell of a lot more than Who's 50th.