Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 5 2013, 06:28 PM   #16
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Peeling "The Apple"

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
After destroying the natives' whole economy, social order, and way of life (forced to or not), Kirk is incredibly cavalier and insouciant about it. "Yeah, you've just lost your eternal youth so you'll start aging now, and your community is too small to survive as a viable gene pool, and you have no idea how much hard labor is ahead of you as subsistance farmers, but you're going to like it soon."
But . . . but they can learn about sex now. That makes up for any other inconveniences, right? (Kirk certainly seems to think so!)

And dare I mentioned that I have an autographed photo of Celeste Yarnall on my wall, only a few feet away from where I'm typing this? (Celeste tried to talk me into writing her character into the novels once . . ..)
Old November 5 2013, 06:45 PM   #17
Corylea
Lieutenant

scotpens wrote: View Post
But by the middle of the second season, the forced jokey ending was already becoming a Trek cliché.
I wouldn't mind a GOOD jokey ending, but they were often so very labored.

And what's with the bit where Kirk says to Scotty: "If you can't get those warp engines working, you're fired"? Fired? They're the C.O. and chief engineer of a military starship, not a civilian employee and his boss. I suppose that line could have been meant as a joke, but it just comes across as sloppy writing.
It's meant to be a jokey way of saying, "I'll be very unhappy with you," which makes it a way of showing Kirk's persona as a man who bonds with his crew and who doesn't just snap out orders. This means that it's not sloppy writing; it's character-based writing.
Corylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 06:48 PM   #18
Grant
Fleet Captain

I think Spock was big enough to take some good-natured kidding.

The real problem with the ending was the television-related need for it to be upbeat after four men just died. If Kirk is a realistic character, his happy-talk with Spock and McCoy is a total facade here. He has to explain his losses to the Admiralty and probably write letters to four next of kin.

"Obsession" is another offender in this regard. "City on the Edge," "Catspaw," and "A Private Little War" got it right.
You are 100% right---the episodes where Kirk reminds us that he is still feeling the loss are far superior to the lousy joke enders like Galileo Seven and Friday's Child.

Also on the positive ledger side WNMHGB and Balance of Terror.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 07:18 PM   #19
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Corylea wrote: View Post
But by the middle of the second season, the forced jokey ending was already becoming a Trek cliché.
I wouldn't mind a GOOD jokey ending, but they were often so very labored.

And what's with the bit where Kirk says to Scotty: "If you can't get those warp engines working, you're fired"? Fired? They're the C.O. and chief engineer of a military starship, not a civilian employee and his boss. I suppose that line could have been meant as a joke, but it just comes across as sloppy writing.
It's meant to be a jokey way of saying, "I'll be very unhappy with you," which makes it a way of showing Kirk's persona as a man who bonds with his crew and who doesn't just snap out orders. This means that it's not sloppy writing; it's character-based writing.
It wasn't really jokey, it was graveyard humor. Kirk knew Scotty was doing everything humanly possible and Scotty knew they were screwed if they didn't get the engines, but Kirk is the boss and he has to do something to inspire his crew, so it was a half-hearted joke instead of wasting their time with a tirade. I thought it was a bit of excellent writing, amid some, well, not so great writing.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 07:18 PM   #20
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
(Celeste tried to talk me into writing her character into the novels once . . ..)
Then she'd sue you for a percentage for giving you the idea if it was a best-seller. Gotta watch out for actors and their attorneys.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 07:33 PM   #21
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

They're the C.O. and chief engineer of a military starship, not a civilian employee and his boss.
It was likely dark humor, however a commanding officer can "fire" a subordinate officer by permanately releaving them of their duties and replacing they with a new officer.

Scott would go into Starfleet's "labor pool,' and await a new assignment. Any prospective new commanding officer would take into account the he was releaved with prejudice from him last posting.

Again probably just dark humor.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 09:08 PM   #22
scotpens
Vice Admiral

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
Corylea wrote: View Post
It wasn't really jokey, it was graveyard humor. Kirk knew Scotty was doing everything humanly possible and Scotty knew they were screwed if they didn't get the engines, but Kirk is the boss and he has to do something to inspire his crew, so it was a half-hearted joke instead of wasting their time with a tirade. I thought it was a bit of excellent writing, amid some, well, not so great writing.
Well, maybe it was just too subtle for me.
Old November 5 2013, 09:22 PM   #23
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Definitions of humor have changed a little bit over the last 50 years.
Old November 5 2013, 10:28 PM   #24
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

The real problem with the ending was the television-related need for it to be upbeat after four men just died..."City on the Edge," "Catspaw," and "A Private Little War" got it right.
Agreed. That "Jackson is dead" line at the end of Catspaw, to me at least, totally redeems a crazy episode.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 10:51 PM   #25
Grant
Fleet Captain

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post

The real problem with the ending was the television-related need for it to be upbeat after four men just died..."City on the Edge," "Catspaw," and "A Private Little War" got it right.
Agreed. That "Jackson is dead" line at the end of Catspaw, to me at least, totally redeems a crazy episode.
Yeah but 2 episodes later Grant got no such respect!
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 10:56 PM   #26
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Grant wrote: View Post
That's true, but....Jackson had that great stunt fall that gave his life meaning. Yes, that's it.

Grant didn't get it because....well, at the end a baby was born, and that symbolized new life in the shadow of death...oh wait, that was Star Trek II...
Old November 5 2013, 11:03 PM   #27
Melakon
Vice Admiral

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
That's true, but....Jackson had that great stunt fall that gave his life meaning. Yes, that's it.

Grant didn't get it because....well, at the end a baby was born, and that symbolized new life in the shadow of death...oh wait, that was Star Trek II...
Of course Grant got respect!

KIRK: He was young, and inexperienced.
Translation: He was a stupid kid.
Old November 5 2013, 11:12 PM   #28
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
Translation: He was a stupid kid.
And in spite of that, Kirk brought him on a mission where a violation of hair-trigger cultural mores could've destroyed the mission!

But far be it from me to call Kirk a stupid Captain!
Old November 5 2013, 11:36 PM   #29
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Was Grant even at McCoy's pre-mission briefing? Maybe he didn't get the memo.
Old November 6 2013, 01:14 AM   #30
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And dare I mentioned that I have an autographed photo of Celeste Yarnall on my wall, only a few feet away from where I'm typing this? (Celeste tried to talk me into writing her character into the novels once . . ..)
If I may... why not? No interest in the character of Landon; haven't found a suitable plot to plug the character into...?

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote