RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 805
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 4 2013, 11:00 PM   #541
Starkers
Admiral

Re: 50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
StCoop wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Funny, I don't seem to recall you complaining everywhere in sight when Davros' master plan was to detonate THE REALITY BOMB.
D'ya think that might have been because that would have been the first time it was trotted out?

It took RTD 4 series to reach that point. (And only did it twice.) Moffat's done it every series and now the 50th too.
More to the point, the previous episode involved Clara saving reality from the Great Intelligence.
Was she really saving reality? The universe seemed like it would continue, it would just be a vastly different place without the Doctor, which isn't really that different to Turn Left...

But if we're keeping score...

Harridan mothers: RTD 3 (count them Three!!) SM 0 (although I'm sure some people would count Amy )

For all his flaws Moffat has still not made me want to throw things at the screen the way RTD did quite regularly!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 11:12 PM   #542
MickJo1701
Commander

Starkers wrote: View Post
For all his flaws Moffat has still not made me want to throw things at the screen the way RTD did quite regularly!
The hate towards Moffat is unfounded, he changed a great deal of what the fans complained about (i.e too many episodes set in modern day London, irritating companion family baggage etc) and I thank him for it. I also like the multi series story arcs, not everything needs to be wrapped up after 13 episodes.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 11:13 PM   #543
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

More to the point, the previous episode involved Clara saving reality from the Great Intelligence.
Was she really saving reality? The universe seemed like it would continue, it would just be a vastly different place without the Doctor, which isn't really that different to Turn Left...
Fair point. It's not really clear how the GI's plan was going to work or what it was going to do. It's only in retrospect that removing the Doctor from his timeline poses cosmic implications.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 08:15 AM   #544
Saul
Rear Admiral

So guess each Doctor will be in a different time dealing with a different situation. Hurt's probably is the ancient War.
Old November 5 2013, 10:30 AM   #545
Starkers
Admiral

Fair point. It's not really clear how the GI's plan was going to work or what it was going to do. It's only in retrospect that removing the Doctor from his timeline poses cosmic implications.
I'm not sure the GI (or Moffat) quite knew how his plan was going to work either in fairness

Old November 5 2013, 10:38 AM   #546
StCoop
Commodore

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
The hate towards Moffat is unfounded, he changed a great deal of what the fans complained about (i.e too many episodes set in modern day London, irritating companion family baggage etc) and I thank him for it.
When you say "The Fans" you need to define who exactly are you're talking about.

It's certainly not the vast majority of the audience who gave RTDs London/Family based episodes higher ratings, audience share, chart positions and AI figures than Moffat's episodes get.

Don't confuse what people on the Internet like/don't like with what most people like/don't like.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 11:46 AM   #547
Starkers
Admiral

^Does that include those Moffat episodes that aired during RTD's run?

Of course the one factor that is intangible is that we are talking about very different situations. RTD brought the show back and it was new and flashy and drew in huge numbers of viewers. Moffat on the other hand took on a show that had been running for 5 years and that you could argue had slightly oversaturated the market with a profusion of spinoffs, and a percentage of viewers were probably tiring of it anyway. Plus a show which had just lost its popular leading man (and let’s be honest I bet more than a few people decided to jump ship when DT did). I firmly believe there'd have been a drop off in viewers anyway because that's what happens to even the most successful of series, in fact I think even if RTD had stayed there'd have been a drop off (and probably even a bigger drop off), because RTD-Who was becoming very repetitive, and I'd hope even a fan of the man would realise that (certainly I think he realised it).

Moffat hasn't had a perfect run for a variety of reasons and I wouldn’t deny that some of them were down to him, but given he took on a show some viewers might be getting tired of, a show that had lost one of the most popular Doctors of all time, and a show that had suddenly to be made in more austere times, the fact that it is still one of the BBC’s flagship programmes, and that he cast a Doctor who is very popular (and sod what any poll says, Tennant might be more popular but that doesn’t mean Smith isn’t, I’ve been to various events, and I’ve seen just how many little kids dress up as the 11th Doctor) and that he runs a show that can still pull in 6 million people just to announce who the next Doctor’s going to be…well, sometimes I don’t think Moffat gets enough credit if I’m honest.

Of course without access to our own Tardis, and the ability to change history, we’ll never know, which is why you’ll go on believing that in another universe RTD and Jesus, sorry I mean Tennant, are still making the same old show and gazillions of people still tune in every Saturday, and that on November 23rd all 10 doctors will get together for a three hour epic, whilst I see another world where Who was cancelled 2 years after Tennant left and where the anniversary is being celebrated by nothing other than a few documentaries and Russell Tovey doing some 11th Doctor audios for BF

Old November 5 2013, 03:19 PM   #548
Christopher
Writer

Saul wrote: View Post
So guess each Doctor will be in a different time dealing with a different situation. Hurt's probably is the ancient War.
My guess is it'll start out that way but then their plotlines will converge and they'll end up interacting. We do know that Smith and Tennant interact a fair amount, given what's been said in interviews about how the two Doctors get along.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 04:14 PM   #549
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

David Tennant and Matt Smith will be on The Graham Norton Show on November 22.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 04:17 PM   #550
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I agree with Starkers. The RTD era was getting a bit repetitive. While the brilliantness of Tennant probably could've covered for that for awhile, it would've eventually gotten old.

The switch to Moffat/Smith really prevented the continuation of that process. Generally I enjoy the current state of the show but it's not perfect. And like RTD's era, a certain repetitiveness is creeping in.

However, I think this team has been mostly brilliant. And, IIRC, the audience share has remained fairly stable, it's just that fewer people are watching overall.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 05:01 PM   #551
Starkers
Admiral

Cool!

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I agree with Starkers. The RTD era was getting a bit repetitive. While the brilliantness of Tennant probably could've covered for that for awhile, it would've eventually gotten old.

The switch to Moffat/Smith really prevented the continuation of that process. Generally I enjoy the current state of the show but it's not perfect. And like RTD's era, a certain repetitiveness is creeping in.

However, I think this team has been mostly brilliant. And, IIRC, the audience share has remained fairly stable, it's just that fewer people are watching overall.

Mr Awe
Thank you, and I'd just add that I do agree with what you said (specifically the bits in bold)

Old November 6 2013, 10:59 PM   #552
MickJo1701
Commander

Huzzah!!!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/do...urday.html?rss
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 11:52 PM   #553
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

And the Teaser has even made it to prime time tv.

CTV showed in during Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D lat night in Ontario. Was rather suprised a) it was a Doctor Who Promo and b) it was a Promo for a program on Space (though both Space and CTV are owned by Bell Media).

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 03:17 AM   #554
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Old November 7 2013, 05:08 AM   #555
The Wormhole
Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
And the Teaser has even made it to prime time tv.

CTV showed in during Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D lat night in Ontario. Was rather suprised a) it was a Doctor Who Promo and b) it was a Promo for a program on Space (though both Space and CTV are owned by Bell Media).
The teaser has also been shown on Space during the past week. Having it on CTV is nothing new. I've seen commercials for Doctor Who, Torchwood and even BSG on CTV, CTV's news channel, Much Music and Much More Music.