TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 1 2013, 04:08 PM   #571
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Camp worked FINE for TOS and made it very charming and enjoyable. But to see TOS remade withOUT the camp is quite a thing to behold! The production values are tremendous ... even the acting in the reBoot series has been far superior, in every way. Indeed, it's how STAR TREK: The Original Series was meant to be. Truly, sirs ...
Are you blowing this camp horn everywhere? I just came from a thread in the other movie forum where you were explaining how TOS was camp and nothing compared to TNG, which demonstrates as seriously an ass-backwards way of looking through the scope as talking up these Abrams things as anything other than popcorn that arrives already stale.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 04:13 PM   #572
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Heck, season three does a better rip-off of Star Wars than Abrams Trek.
This is a good observation. The Xindi arc really feels like good ol'e fashioned space opera in many ways.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 05:13 PM   #573
Opus
Commodore

trevanian wrote: View Post
camp horn
I enjoyed my time at Camp Horn. We spent most of the summer making knock-off Gucci handbags to sell on the streets of New York...

... Hmmm... Now that I think about it...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 05:25 PM   #574
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Camp worked FINE for TOS and made it very charming and enjoyable. But to see TOS remade withOUT the camp is quite a thing to behold! The production values are tremendous ... even the acting in the reBoot series has been far superior, in every way. Indeed, it's how STAR TREK: The Original Series was meant to be. Truly, sirs ...
Sir, put down the peyote buttons and step away from the cat. Nice and easy, now...
Old November 2 2013, 04:19 PM   #575
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

If you'll notice, a lot of stuff that was meant to be serious was campy. I find Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Big Valley, Rifleman, Perry Mason, Ironside, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Baywatch are all campy. In the future I will see people say "Look how campy Law and Order is with that camera shaking all over place. Everyone has an accusing attitude. HEy look that guy on CSI miami always walks sideways".
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 05:38 PM   #576
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Mycroft Maxwell wrote: View Post
HEy look that guy on CSI miami always walks sideways".
"... and it looks like these two were killed with a tent stake."

"Well, Al, I guess murder in Miami..."

* puts on sunglasses *

"... just got a little more camp."

YYYEEEEAAHHHHHH!
Old November 4 2013, 05:34 AM   #577
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
Closed Caption wrote: View Post

Well, it's odd that you would say "of the last twelve trek movies" when there are only 12 to begin with. Let's see.

2. The Reliant exploring what they thought was Ceti Alpha Six.
3. The Grissom exploring the Genesis Planet.
5. The Enterprise going to the center of the galaxy.
9. The Federation's duck blind in the Briar Patch.
12. The planet of primitives with Underwater Enterprise.

I count at least five Trek films showing some kind of exploration whatsoever.
really? grammer [sic] Nazi over hear [sic]. I believe he sed [sic] of the last twelve trek movies because their [sic] will inevidably [sic] be moore [sic].
... a grammar Nazi that misspelled grammar, and quite a few other words, too. For shame, for shame! Anyway, if what you say is the intended meaning, then it should be "of the first twelve trek movies," or better yet "of the twelve trek movies to date," or "so far," etc. Grammar Nazi right here.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to be overly critical or pedantic. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned the word choice, as I was really more interested in simply showing that exploration was used in the Trek films more often than the post in question would have one believe. However, as I also suggested subsequently, perhaps he meant with respect to hero ships, anyway, in which case his tally isn't that far off, if at all.

By the way, kudos to Timewalker for actually seeing STID. Now she just needs to make it through Revenge of the Sith!
intentional. that was the whole point, genius
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 05:58 AM   #578
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

If you'll notice, a lot of stuff that was meant to be serious was campy. I find Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Big Valley, Rifleman, Perry Mason, Ironside, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Baywatch are all campy. In the future I will see people say "Look how campy Law and Order is with that camera shaking all over place. Everyone has an accusing attitude. HEy look that guy on CSI miami always walks sideways".
I don't think Knight Rider was ever meant to be taken as truly serious like the other shows you listed; and Baywatch was pretty intentional with how it was supposed to showcase skin from the get-go.
Old November 4 2013, 06:06 AM   #579
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
HEy look that guy on CSI miami always walks sideways".
"... and it looks like these two were killed with a tent stake."

"Well, Al, I guess murder in Miami..."

* puts on sunglasses *

"... just got a little more camp."

YYYEEEEAAHHHHHH!
This part of the pitch for CSI: Miami as a tentpole summer film was not well received....
Old November 4 2013, 11:01 AM   #580
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

One of the 20 something 'Entertainment Reporters' on cable mentioned that they thought TNG was way 'camper' than TOS. He was rating a TNG episode. When I look at that episode (a great one) I tend to agree.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 11:11 AM   #581
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
This part of the pitch for CSI: Miami as a tentpole summer film was not well received....
[ in a just and righteous world, anyway....]
Old November 4 2013, 04:21 PM   #582
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

If something is meant to be serious, then by definition it can't be camp. That the production values or directing style seem outdated or quaint by comparison to shows being produced now isn't enough; "camp" implies conscious and deliberate exaggeration - it winks at you and says "Yes, I know." The Batman TV series was nearly always camp, for example, but Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Big Valley, Rifleman, Perry Mason, Ironside, and the original Star Trek series were not (though one could reasonably argue that there were moments in Trek's "Trouble With Tribbles" or "Piece of the Action" or "I, Mudd" episodes which were played camp.)
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 05:21 PM   #583
F. King Daniel
Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
One of the 20 something 'Entertainment Reporters' on cable mentioned that they thought TNG was way 'camper' than TOS. He was rating a TNG episode. When I look at that episode (a great one) I tend to agree.
I think TNG took itself far too seriously for a show about people flying through space wearing pajamas.
Old November 4 2013, 05:32 PM   #584
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I think TNG took itself far too seriously for a show about people flying through space wearing pajamas.
Meh, I've never cared for the paralytic fear of being seen Taking Itself Seriously that far too much SF still seems to have even today. If you're making a show about spacemen and aliens, the shameful secret of one's being a Huge Nerd is already out; doing your own premise the favour of taking it seriously is the least you can do.

Which doesn't mean you can't indulge a bit of humour on the side... but if you're going to be constantly trying to reassure viewers that you don't take your own show / movie seriously, they'll probably go elsewhere. Why should they invest anything in it if the creators are afraid to?
Old November 4 2013, 05:50 PM   #585
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BigJake wrote: View Post

Which doesn't mean you can't indulge a bit of humour on the side... but if you're going to be constantly trying to reassure viewers that you don't take your own show / movie seriously, they'll probably go elsewhere. Why should they invest anything in it if the creators are afraid to?
I think TOS did okay and it didn't go out of its way taking itself too seriously.