Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 29 2013, 11:07 PM   #16
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Re: The Trouble With.....Flat Cats!!

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
So did Mick and the boys have cryptomnesia when they named their band?
Nah, because, iirc, the book was renamed "Space Family Stone" when published in the U. K.

Sir Rhosis
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 01:18 AM   #17
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Gerrold should thank his lucky stars that "The Rolling Stones" wasn't written by Harlan Ellison.
Old November 4 2013, 07:15 AM   #18
CaptMurdock
Commodore

View CaptMurdock's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CaptMurdock Send a message via Yahoo to CaptMurdock

I saw "Tribbles" years before I read TRS; it took me a couple of readings before I even saw the similarities between tribbles and flat cats. (Say what you want about the similarities between the creatures - and you'd be right - but the stories are completely different.)

Gerrold has stated that he intended to do a "rabbits in Australia" story, about how moving animals from one environment to another can have serious repercussions. As for Heinlein, after reading the script for TTWT, he remarked something to effect that they had both lifted ideas from Ellis Parker Butler's story "Pigs Is Pigs" and from the biblical story of Noah.
Old November 4 2013, 07:43 AM   #19
Maurice
Vice Admiral

CaptMurdock wrote: View Post
As for Heinlein, after reading the script for TTWT, he remarked something to effect that they had both lifted ideas from Ellis Parker Butler's story "Pigs Is Pigs" and from the biblical story of Noah.
You mean according to Gerrold, Heinlein said that, which is what he wrote in his book "The Trouble With Tribbles".
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 04:48 PM   #20
EnsignHarper
Commander

When I read "The Arena" short story by Brown in a science fiction collection I immediately thought it was the basis for the episode. I had no doubt. It was virtually the same story as the second half of Arena. I'm very surprised when its denied. I must have read the story 10 years after seeing the episode but still made the connection.
Since when did they deny it? It is pretty much established that Coon was reminded of the connection after he wrote it - and put it in the production pipeline. They went to Brown, gave him some cash, and gave him story credit.

And apparently, Kellam de Forrest had very little problems with Tribbles, otherwise they would have said something.
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 06:05 PM   #21
EnsignHarper
Commander

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
So did Mick and the boys have cryptomnesia when they named their band?

From Muddy Waters, not Heinlein - the song "Mannish Boy" has a line, "I'm a Rollin' Stone". (NOT, as reported, "Rolling Stone blues")
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 05:26 AM   #22
Harvey
Admiral

EnsignHarper wrote: View Post
And apparently, Kellam de Forrest had very little problems with Tribbles, otherwise they would have said something.
Actually, de Forest Research caught the similarities. This is what they said in their August 11, 1967 research report (note that this report indicates that Desilu was notified of the similarities earlier, when the story was purchased):

It’s a green-gold ball of fluff, a tribble. – The premise of a small, featureless, fluffy, purring animal, friendly and loving, that reproduces rapidly when fed, and nearly engulfs a space ship, is the major plot complication of the last one third of Robert A. Heinlein’s novel, The Rolling Stones, published by Scribner’s in 1952. Use of this plot line which parallels the story line of the novel could lead to legal complications. Mr. Heinlein might claim that his property was rendered unsaleable to television and motion pictures because the story line had appeared on Star Trek. The similarities between these two stories were pointed out when the story outline was first presented. It might be advisable to contact Mr. Heinlein and negotiate purchase of property.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 07:22 AM   #23
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I must have read the story 10 years after seeing the episode but still made the connection.
The story was reprinted in a very early "Starlog".
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 09:27 AM   #24
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I must have read the story 10 years after seeing the episode but still made the connection.
The story was reprinted in a very early "Starlog".
I'm intrigued. Would you know which one? Archve.org has a reasonably complete run of Starlog in its archives.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 07:45 PM   #25
publiusr
Commodore

I miss Starlog and OMNI.

I think I suffer from cryptomnesia. I write some fic over at starshipmodeler.net's writer's corner--it is hard to be original.

I remember a Starlog article about an unmade movie called Monolith--anyone recall that?
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 06:31 AM   #26
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Starlog # 4. Here's a site which reprints the Starlog printing as well as a comics adaption of "Arena":

http://swords-and-veeblefetzers.blog...wns-arena.html

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 10:35 PM   #27
CaptMurdock
Commodore

View CaptMurdock's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CaptMurdock Send a message via Yahoo to CaptMurdock

Maurice wrote: View Post
As for Heinlein, after reading the script for TTWT, he remarked something to effect that they had both lifted ideas from Ellis Parker Butler's story "Pigs Is Pigs" and from the biblical story of Noah.
You mean according to Gerrold, Heinlein said that, which is what he wrote in his book "The Trouble With Tribbles".
Fair enough. I accept your correction to my lack of attribution.
Old November 14 2013, 08:50 AM   #28
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Fair enough. I accept your correction to my lack of attribution.
I wasn't really commenting on a lack of attribution, rather that what we have is Gerrold's claim of what Heinlein supposedly said.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old November 14 2013, 02:25 PM   #29
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I wasn't really commenting on a lack of attribution, rather that what we have is Gerrold's claim of what Heinlein supposedly said.
I think Gerrold would be fairly honest about that because when he wrote it, Heinlein was very much alive and dialed in to the sci-fi scene. A mention like that in Gerrold's book would get back to Heinlein lickity split.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 07:50 PM   #30
Maurice
Vice Admiral

AGAIN, the point is it's not a direct quote. It might be 100% accurate, but it's not like we have it from the primary source in order to be certain.
—Glen Larson, 2010