Interesting TMP poster

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Mario de Monti, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Hi everyone,

I came across this poster design for TMP today, that I never saw before. It prominently features what looks very much like the "Phase II" Enterprise, but with a LOT of windows added. I´m wondering if it really was a promotional poster back in the day, or something put together at a later time. Below the artwork it seems to read "Copyright MCMLXXVII (1977)", but I can´t be sure. Has anyone seen this before? Or maybe I´m the only one to whom this is new :)

Anyway, here´s the Link:

http://www.allposters.de/-sp/Star-Trek-Der-Film-Poster_i8035491_.htm

Mario

2. SpocksLeftEar

SpocksLeftEar Lieutenant

Hi Mario,
    this poster was at least used on the back of a number of comic books to promote the movie. I would have to check this but I think it was on the back of the Archie comics, and I remember buying one or two copies just to get hold of this mini-poster. Don't know about the history behind this design, though.
    Best
    SLE

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, this appears to be the first poster I ever saw advertising the film, IIRC from around early 1979. I suspect someone like Therin of Andor probably has good scans of it.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, but a lot of magazines carried that ad as a back cover.

The logo on this poster was used with pics of the first press conference where TMP was announced. IIRC, it was a public reunion for Grace Lee Whitney, who was announced as joining the cast, and it was possibly the first announcement of Stephen Collins, since Persis Khambatta was already signed when the production was to be "In Thy Image" and "Phase II".

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yup.

I had it as a kid. Wish I still did, don't know whatever happened to it.

6. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Thanks for the information so far. So I guess I missed it because I was still too young in the late 70´s - and on the wrong continent :)

7. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

This was pretty common back then. Pretty sure it was in Webster's room even, on the TV show of that name.

8. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

ah, haven't seen that image in a while. isn't it in The Art of Star Trek and/ or Phase II: The Lost Series behind the scenes books?

9. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I never pictured Webster as Star Trek fan. Interesting.

Edit: Although there is this bit from Memory Alpha about Michael Dorn's guest appearance on the show's final episode:

--Sran

10. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that was on the back covers of my Marvel comics of the period. The funny thing is that the actual ship illustration may have been different. I'd swear the ones on the comics I have show the ship from a shallower angle. I'll look for them and scan a copy if you like! :) ('cause now I'm curious, too!)

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

13. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

As a boy on the night of TMP opening Friday December 7, 1979, I still remember this poster type in the lobby of the theater. :)

14. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I loved that poster! It brings back memories of anticipating the movie during the summer and fall months of 1979.

15. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The photos remind me of the TMP bubblegum cards of that vintage. :)

16. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Font" was probably the wrong word to use. I meant that the letters were plain white on a dark background, as opposed to the "shiny" style seen in the poster.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3652/3320221952_e3ec809800.jpg

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

"Font" was precisely the wrong word to use if that's what you meant.

18. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Now that you mentioned it, I noticed another painting of the Enterprise (Starlog Photo Guidebook Special Effects Vol. 2, page 94) in the same style (lots of windows, "classic" ventral sensor dome) but within a spacedock that's very close to the final version:

[​IMG]

This spacedock version was also featured on page 98 of aforementioned book as an early (?) backdrop painting for the Rec Deck crew assembly scene in TMP, but the starboard nacelle is definitely and already Probert style):

[​IMG]

Quite obviously a draft for the background behind the Rec Deck windows, the final result differed again, featuring different spacedock illuminating panels.

Bob

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  19. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

20. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

mb22's link goes to the magazine ad I saw in early July '79, with the line "A 23rd Century Odyssey Now."

Both that version and this one without the slogan have the early writing credit, Screenplay by Roddenberry & Livingston, with no mention of Foster nor any separate "story by" credit. I don't recall whether any thread has gotten into how Roddenberry had received a credit, but then lost it and ended up doing the novel - does anyone here have knowledge?