CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old October 31 2013, 05:17 AM   #1
Rennick
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Story Arcs vs. Episodic Stories in ENT

I think story-arcs are a preferred way of showing the theme of a show over the course of a season or seasons. I do not think the story-arcs of Enterprise were all that fantastic, just middle of the road (Temporal Cold War, Xindi, etc.), and I liked Enterprise, more so than the average Trek fan.

The arcs that dealt with the foundations of the Federation and the Romulans were by far more dramatic, mostly because I felt a connection to it and I understood it. Unfortunately, it came too late.

But when the show delved more into simple episodic story-telling, much like how TOS was, I found myself enjoying the premise of ENT far more. Granted, most of the time they did this it fell flat, but there were times where they nailed it (Season 2 comes to mind: Carbon Creek, Minefield, Dead-Stop).

Enterprise, to me, had the best premise of any of the series, it just did not deliver.
Rennick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 03:19 AM   #2
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Re: Story Arcs vs. Episodic Stories in ENT

I think it delivered on its true premise--the first human deep space explorer and its pivotal role in the founding of the Federation--quite well when it actually focused on that premise. It just didn't really come across very much because most of the first three seasons were wasted on random planets/species of the week and the Xindi storyline which, while entertaining, didn't really have much to do with the Federation theme. The Temporal Cold War was a huge misfire, agreed, but the writers clearly had little interest in it (since it was essentially forced on the show by the network), given its fairly miniscule presence in the show overall.

I think Season One had basically the right idea in showing us this new crew as they take their first steps out into the galaxy, with more of a focus on characterization and a pioneering spirit, but then it lost focus with Season Two, when it started becoming a sci-fi action show.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 03:36 AM   #3
Rennick
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I once read that Braga wanted to do the first season much like they way the episode "First Flight" turned out, but the network said no -- too bad, I think that might have been an intriguing way to show the genesis and application of the warp-five program.
Old November 2 2013, 05:06 PM   #4
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Enterprise represents a refinement of the 'Serialized Procedural' format used on Voyager, striking a more consistent balance between standalone episodic stories and ongoing serialized elements. Voyager occasionally fluctuated between the episodic and the serialized, but Enterprise was pretty much consistently balanced between the two approaches.
Old November 2 2013, 07:11 PM   #5
F. King Daniel
Admiral

The Xindi arc is my favorite Trek storyline of all. It was the first time in a long time that I couldn't wait fro next week's episode. I didn't much care for the mostly-standalone plots of S1 and 2.
Old November 3 2013, 04:02 AM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Rennick wrote: View Post
I once read that Braga wanted to do the first season much like they way the episode "First Flight" turned out, but the network said no -- too bad, I think that might have been an intriguing way to show the genesis and application of the warp-five program.
Yeah, Star Trek's version of "The Right Stuff" would've been an interesting change of pace.
Old November 4 2013, 02:58 AM   #7
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think they figured out how to write the show in season 4.

Season 1 seemed more like a season of Voyager, only closer to Earth. The focus on character's gimmicks rather than interesting development, the trapped in a small space episodes, the alien of the week.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 03:04 AM   #8
Rennick
Lieutenant Junior Grade

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I think they figured out how to write the show in season 4.

Season 1 seemed more like a season of Voyager, only closer to Earth. The focus on character's gimmicks rather than interesting development, the trapped in a small space episodes, the alien of the week.
I agree with your assessment of both seasons 1 and 4.

With season 4 it really seemed the show found it's identity.
Old November 4 2013, 03:05 AM   #9
Rennick
Lieutenant Junior Grade

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Enterprise represents a refinement of the 'Serialized Procedural' format used on Voyager, striking a more consistent balance between standalone episodic stories and ongoing serialized elements. Voyager occasionally fluctuated between the episodic and the serialized, but Enterprise was pretty much consistently balanced between the two approaches.
Good point -- I agree.
Old November 28 2013, 12:06 AM   #10
I am not Spock
Commodore

There are a lot of standalone episodes in ENT's first two seasons, but there are some arcs forming even there too.

The Andorian arc, for one. Which is a recurring story throughout the show which I found very enjoyable.

The terse relationship betweens Vulcans and Humans is another

Not to mention the early conflicts between Earth and Kronos. I think the first few encounters with Klingons are consistent with Picard's 'a disaster that led to decades of war' line in TNG.

The Temporal Cold War was a misstep, and not very well plotted. But in that arc, there are some very good episodes. Future Tense, Cold Front, etc.