Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 28 2013, 03:24 PM   #16
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: TARDIS Eye of Harmony

It occurs to me that the Eye and rift energy may not be incompatible sources for the TARDIS. Rift energy could fuel the ship, but the Eye makes time travel possible, just like the plutonium (and later Mr. Fusion) powered the flux capacitor, but the DeLorean's engine still ran on gasoline.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 07:31 PM   #17
SeerSGB
Admiral

And we can't count out the fact that the Tardis rebuilt itself during Eleventh Hour. Instead of just replacing the Console Room, she might have upgraded/repaired herself.
Old October 30 2013, 09:44 PM   #18
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I wonder if Harmony was the name of a famous Timelord from yore, or if it does still mean as I had always assumed meant: Calm and peaceful.

Although in music, harmony is about a lot of noise cooperating to sound nice, which might cover the continuity gap of their being many eyes operating in harmony until the trillions of eyes seem just like one eye?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 06:20 AM   #19
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I wonder if Harmony was the name of a famous Timelord from yore, or if it does still mean as I had always assumed meant: Calm and peaceful.

Although in music, harmony is about a lot of noise cooperating to sound nice, which might cover the continuity gap of their being many eyes operating in harmony until the trillions of eyes seem just like one eye?
Harmony, Melody, so that's where "River is the TARDIS" theory came from!!

Yea, I think Harmony is balance, in thiis case

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 02:10 PM   #20
Noddy
Captain

I believe The Deadly Assassin does strongly imply that the Eye of Harmony is a singularity, not a collapsing star. So sticking the name onto a supernova....doesn't really add up.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 11:30 PM   #21
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Wikipedia assures me that a gravitational singularity is a black hole, a black hole is a collapsed star, and a collapsed star is a star that hasn't as yet fufilled the first step of collapse which is super nova.

The eye of Harmony is a Collapsing Star stunted into perpetual collapse towards singularity. Although I don't think it's slowed down or paused, some TimeLord bastard is probably rolling it backwards and forwards between the limits of star and singularity like punk kids playing gotcha with a poindexter's knapsack.

If this was true you would think that that this "space time event" being pumped and pulled like an accordion would have never made it all the way to singularity, but then what the frakk was Omega using to power up his Summer home?

Old November 4 2013, 03:32 PM   #22
Noddy
Captain

Wikipedia assures me that a gravitational singularity is a black hole, a black hole is a collapsed star, and a collapsed star is a star that hasn't as yet fufilled the first step of collapse which is super nova.
How can it not have fulfilled the first step of collapse if it's CALLED a collapsed star?
Old November 4 2013, 05:04 PM   #23
Noddy
Captain

And what's the relationship between the Eye on Gallifrey and the black hole said to have been created by Omega in The Three Doctors, which was also said to be the source of the Time Lords' power?
Old November 4 2013, 11:06 PM   #24
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Noddy wrote: View Post
How can it not have fulfilled the first step of collapse if it's CALLED a collapsed star?
Why so linear?

Remember when the TARDIS blowing up, wound back and blowing up again over and over again was mistaken for the sun?

A leads to B leads to C leads to A.

Old November 5 2013, 01:16 AM   #25
publiusr
Commodore

There is Thurstons hyperbolic paper, a type of fabric that you cannot lie flat--it has more and more space as it moves from the center--that is how I look at the eye. The book was Curious and interesting Geometry--with the drawing by John Sharp...

Some interesting links
http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...s-In-Spacetime

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/qua...exes-and-back/
http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=MoZlcJv6ww0C
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 03:35 PM   #26
Noddy
Captain

Maybe the collapsing star in JTTCOTT is only one component of the TARDIS Eye, with the singularity in the TV Movie being another?
Old November 5 2013, 09:11 PM   #27
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

How does the eye tie in to regeneration if it's just a massive car battery?

Old November 6 2013, 09:31 AM   #28
Captain_Amasov
Captain

No idea. The 11th Doctor said that exposure over millions of years to the Untempered Schism was tied to their ability to regenerate. The schism is an opening in the space/time continuum; "a gap in the fabric of reality from which can be seen the whole of the (Time) Vortex".

I'll assume the artron energy, "background radiation", you get doused with by traveling through the Time Vortex probably has something to do with it; but does the Eye of Harmony also generate this type of radiation?
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 09:48 AM   #29
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Most of those millions of years when the schism affected/(unconsciously)directed their development might have been during their most earliest stages, when they were still simple organisms in the Gallifreyan seas.

Sorta like that Thing Q tried to put into the soup on Earth in All Good Things.

To think that they were post-atomic and only then began to mutate slowly over the course of millions of years, seems like a fate they would be savvy enough to fight, direct or ward against similar to the decisions Davros had to make as his people were turning into Jellyfish, and he "NO! FUCK THAT! We should be Octopuses!" It's almost like the schism was something the future did to Gallifrey to make to derail some unwanted future where they were not up to snuff..

Which matches what happened to the Daleks early life on Skaro. They searched space in all directions for 8 galaxies only to find out that they were alone and that it was fantastic to be the only life form in the universe and that any change tot hat status quo would be unsavoury... Methinks the Daleks at the end of time steam rolled over 8 galaxies worth of life to make sure that their cradle was adequately and beautifully barren.

Old November 9 2013, 12:44 AM   #30
publiusr
Commodore

I wonder if they meant 8 star systems not galaxies. The Milky Way alone was called "The Universe" once--with true galaxies called island universes...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote