Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 3 2013, 07:32 PM   #31
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: 'All Our Yesterdays' theory

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post

Hollywood Werewolf wrote: View Post
What I want to know is, if Zarabeth was exiled to live out the rest of her life alone in a frozen wasteland, why does she dress like a sexy jungle girl?
Aside from Melakon's quite right guess, it could also be related to Spock's comment that the cave was "agreeably warm". That could be Vulcan lingo for "Man, it's hot as hell in here!"
And that's coming from a Vulcan, mind you, who is accustomed to hot climates. I'm guessing it got pretty toasty in that cave.

For what it's worth, I decided that, for the purposes of my book, Atoz's doubles were solid holograms as seen in the later Trek series. Sure, that probably wasn't the original intent back in 1968, but who's to say that Sarpeidon wasn't a generation ahead of the Federation when it came to holographic technology?
Old November 3 2013, 07:54 PM   #32
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
For what it's worth, I decided that, for the purposes of my book, Atoz's doubles were solid holograms as seen in the later Trek series. Sure, that probably wasn't the original intent back in 1968, but who's to say that Sarpeidon wasn't a generation ahead of the Federation when it came to holographic technology?
No problem there, really. For some reason I have no issue with that in novel form, but it would bug me if it were done on a series episode. Funny, what is acceptable to us and what is not!

I'd gotten the idea in my head about Atoz and Losira replicas being very similar technology because of their similar attributes. Neither seem to be very formidable. Atoz told Kirk "You have done away with my replicas.". That certainly was an easy fight for Kirk, he hardly did anything! And Losira got pushed around pretty easily, too. I actually thought it was kind of refreshing to see artificial beings who weren't physical titans.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 10:33 PM   #33
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I'd gotten the idea in my head about Atoz and Losira replicas being very similar technology because of their similar attributes. Neither seem to be very formidable. Atoz told Kirk "You have done away with my replicas.". That certainly was an easy fight for Kirk, he hardly did anything!
Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they were holograms. They could have been really crappy androids.
Old November 3 2013, 10:57 PM   #34
Metryq
Captain

They could have been really crappy androids.
Or merely that—library androids and not soldiers. They might have their own "three laws" and go down quietly while sounding a silent alarm. The real Atoz did show up very quickly to deal with the situation.
Old November 3 2013, 10:59 PM   #35
Melakon
Vice Admiral

. . .it could also be related to Spock's comment that the cave was "agreeably warm". That could be Vulcan lingo for "Man, it's hot as hell in here!"
Spock wasn't as adept with the pick-up lines as his friend Jim Kirk. When he said the cave was "agreeably warm", he may have meant to say "let's get naked, baby!"
Old November 3 2013, 11:03 PM   #36
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Metryq wrote: View Post
They could have been really crappy androids.
Or merely that—library androids and not soldiers. They might have their own "three laws" and go down quietly while sounding a silent alarm. The real Atoz did show up very quickly to deal with the situation.
Exactly. If I had a replica to, say, wash dishes, take phone messages, etc., there's no reason I could expect it to deal with intruders and such. Losira's had that 'I-must-touch-you' thing going on, but beyond that apparently no 'fighting skills' per se.

It even took the real Atoz to try and push Kirk through the portal in that shopping cart.
Old November 3 2013, 11:28 PM   #37
Corylea
Lieutenant

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I can't remember the exact words, but she says something like "He had an inventive mind, that one?"
A useful reference is the compendium of Star Trek Transcripts.
Corylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 11:29 PM   #38
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Metryq wrote: View Post
By the way, how did the Sarpeidons know their sun was going to go nova? They obviously have a time machine, but no spaceflight. So maybe someone stepped through into the future and got fried. We can only hope it was Zor Kahn.
Presumably they'd know the same way humans have already got a couple stars lined up as nova- or supernova-candidates (and a handful of worrisome potential gamma ray bursters): astronomy and physical calculation.

The real mystery of the episode is why the Enterprise is zipping over there three hours ahead of the deadline. Were they figuring to point at the remaining population and laugh?

(Yeah, I know, they're looking there to investigate why the population's suddenly vanished, although that implies the Federation knew the planet was going to die, had a population, and yet wasn't willing or able earlier to send a ship to investigate and maybe save at least a sample of the population or its culture. Granted Star Fleet was smaller in those days, but they couldn't arrange for your classical two-man doomed outpost to read the Sarpeidon Internet?)
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 11:33 PM   #39
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Nebusj wrote: View Post
(and a handful of worrisome potential gamma ray bursters)
Oh yeah, I think I remember reading about those: aren't they the ones that if we should happen to lie along the axis of one of those, we're toast?
Old November 4 2013, 01:27 AM   #40
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Nebusj wrote: View Post
(and a handful of worrisome potential gamma ray bursters)
Oh yeah, I think I remember reading about those: aren't they the ones that if we should happen to lie along the axis of one of those, we're toast?
Those are the scary ones, yeah.

For those who didn't know to worry about this: gamma ray bursters when they explode are able to channel a disturbing amount of energy in to a very narrow cone, so that they'd be able to fry an ecosystem at a substantial fraction of the galaxy's width. Literally: some models of the star WR 104 suggest it could kill by radiation poisoning whichever side of the Earth is facing it when it sends off a ten-second burst. WR 104 is eight thousand light-years away. (More recent models suggest it's pointing in a direction far enough away as to not be much of a threat to Earth. Good for us if that's so.)

(This is why I'm willing to give Star Trek 2009 a pass on its ``supernova that threatens the galaxy'' business. If the supernova is a gamma ray burster type, then, yeah, threatening the inhabited galaxy is an economical way to describe the threat. It would have saved the filmmakers a lot of tech fanboy whining if they said gamma ray burster, but ``supernova'' communicates with the audience faster and saves time for the lens to flare more.)
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 02:38 AM   #41
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Corylea wrote: View Post
Thanks a million for that useful link, Corylea! That will come in handy in the future when I need quotes to back up my theories...which will then be promptly be beaten to pulps by the folks here!!
Old November 4 2013, 03:03 AM   #42
Corylea
Lieutenant

Thanks a million for that useful link, Corylea!
You're welcome!

That will come in handy in the future when I need quotes to back up my theories...which will then be promptly be beaten to pulps by the folks here!!
Ah, but armed with the magic of exact quotations, you'll be able to beat them back.
Corylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 04:36 AM   #43
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Ah, but armed with the magic of exact quotations, you'll be able to beat them back.
That, or dig my hole even deeper!
Old November 5 2013, 05:25 AM   #44
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Why did they bother doing the whole "Send everyone to another time period" thing as a method of evacuation instead of just...well, getting in ships and evacuating? If they were advanced enough to make a time portal, they could make rocket ships...
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 05:39 AM   #45
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Why did they bother doing the whole "Send everyone to another time period" thing as a method of evacuation instead of just...well, getting in ships and evacuating? If they were advanced enough to make a time portal, they could make rocket ships...
We can't assume that, since we're never given any information about the Sarpeidons' spaceflight capability. Technical advancement in one area doesn't necessarily mean the same level of achievement in other areas. It's like asking, "If we can send men to the moon, why can't we cure cancer?"