Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 3 2013, 07:58 PM   #31
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Re: Time changed... When will it end.

I'm 50-60 miles as the crow flies from the Canadian border. It's hard to live in the continental US and be much further north than me. The closest major city to here is Winnipeg which isn't even in the same country.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 08:14 PM   #32
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

trekkiedeath wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Springing ahead is far worse than falling back.
Agreed.
Whichever way, I hurt my head equally bad.
Next time, watch where you're going.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 08:39 PM   #33
iguana_tonante
Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I like that it stays light later in daylight time, but the week leading up to the roll back, it doesn't really get light in the morning until after 7:00 AM. Do we really want to go to work or school with it still being dark? I know I don't, and the light does help me wake up in the morning.
SmoothieX wrote: View Post
That's one of the interesting thing about living at 48+ degrees latitude (Canadian border is 49) and on the western edge of the (central) time zone. In the winter, the sun doesn't come up until damn near 9.
Yeah, my city is around 45°, and I'm accustomed at going to work (and to school back then) when the sun isn't up yet, so all the hand wringing at having to wake up before sunrise doesn't move me much.

Funnily enough, I often forget that the US is located at a lower latitude compared to Europe (or, looking at it from the opposite side, thanks to the Gulf stream Europe is much warmer than North America at the same latitude).

New York is at the same latitude than Naples (100 miles South of Rome), and yet it snows heavily in winter. My city is at the same latitude of Minneapolis, and yet we enjoy a much warmer climate.
Old November 3 2013, 08:42 PM   #34
RoJoHen
Awesome

My personal schedule these days is such that time changes really have no impact on me. I'm already at work when the time change happens, so my sleep isn't affected at all. Last night I had to work for an extra hour. In the spring I'll get to cut my shift short by an hour.
Old November 3 2013, 08:43 PM   #35
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Crimelord_Insidious wrote: View Post
Anyone is free to set his clock to a standard global time. It's just that people can't agree on where on the globe the benchmark spot should be.
I thought it was long established to be this place.

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
we've only had DST 25 years now and it's just one huge nuissance. It was introduced in order to save electricity but it's utter b-shit. The light you save in the evening is needed in the morning instead.
That's never been an issue for me. In my neck of the woods, even during DST, the sun comes up at least an hour before I wake up in the morning.

Add to it the physical problems the time shift causes everyone.
What physical problems? I've never had any.

I totally fail to see any advantages of DST. And since in this globalized world we have to deal with different time zones anyway, there's absolutely no reason why we should stick to the nonsense of the sun not being in the zenith at 12 o'clock for almost 8 months a year.
Standard time was originally instituted so the railroads could run on uniform schedules. Before standard time, every city, town and rural community set its clocks by the sun. Noon was whenever the sun was at its zenith, so the time could be different in places that were just a few miles apart.

Are you saying you're not just in favor of abolishing Daylight Saving Time, but abolishing standard time altogether? That would certainly throw everything into a tizzy!

Last edited by scotpens; November 3 2013 at 08:59 PM.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 08:59 PM   #36
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

running on local time everywhere would be a bit complicated, even in the computer age. But running a country on the same time 365 day a year would certainly be highly appreciated by most people.
Not all of us are so lucky as to have the luxury to get up after sunrise (which in my part of the world is around 9 am in December/January; 3 hours after I usually start work). Those who have to switch often suffer for weeks under that lag.
Personally, I take about 2 months to adjust to DST and about 1 week to switch back to regular time.

The bar where I work is open until 3am. As a result of DST, we stayed open for an extra hour tonight, which people enjoyed. Plus it's a whole extra hour for me to make tips!
But did you get payed for the extra hour?
Old November 3 2013, 09:12 PM   #37
scotpens
Vice Admiral

running on local time everywhere would be a bit complicated, even in the computer age. But running a country on the same time 365 day a year would certainly be highly appreciated by most people.
That's basically what China does. All of the mainland is on a single clock, even though geographically it spans five time zones. And no daylight saving time.

Link
Old November 3 2013, 09:27 PM   #38
iguana_tonante
Admiral

but running a country on the same time 365 day a year would certainly be highly appreciated by most people.
Not really "most" people. Just a few vocal guys.

Personally, I take about 2 months to adjust to DST
I call bullshit on that. Maybe it takes you 2 months because you spend the time moaning and grinding your teeth about it. If it takes you 8 weeks to adjust to 1 hour change, what will happen if you take a plane across the planet? Die from retroactive sleep deprivation?
Old November 3 2013, 09:33 PM   #39
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Does most of the world have Daylight Saving Time? I know the US and UK do but I was just curious how common this time change is.
Old November 3 2013, 09:36 PM   #40
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Does most of the world have Daylight Saving Time? I know the US and UK do but I was just curious how common this time change is.
Found a pretty good site that answers this question:

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/2013.html
Old November 3 2013, 11:55 PM   #41
RoJoHen
Awesome

The bar where I work is open until 3am. As a result of DST, we stayed open for an extra hour tonight, which people enjoyed. Plus it's a whole extra hour for me to make tips!
But did you get payed for the extra hour?
Of course. Why wouldn't I?
Old November 4 2013, 12:15 AM   #42
Data Holmes
Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
but running a country on the same time 365 day a year would certainly be highly appreciated by most people.
Not really "most" people. Just a few vocal guys.

Personally, I take about 2 months to adjust to DST
I call bullshit on that. Maybe it takes you 2 months because you spend the time moaning and grinding your teeth about it. If it takes you 8 weeks to adjust to 1 hour change, what will happen if you take a plane across the planet? Die from retroactive sleep deprivation?

German researchers have found that the human body never adjusts to DST. http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=4509150
Old November 4 2013, 12:20 AM   #43
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

Makes no difference to me. I don't mind it either way.
Old November 4 2013, 12:42 AM   #44
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Death wrote: View Post
German researchers have found that the human body never adjusts to DST. http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=4509150
Given that in the modern world beside (maybe) farmers people waking up and going to sleep has nothing to do with the sun, I call bullshit on that, too.

Considering also that the so-called "standard time" is a completely artificial too. Tallahassee, for example, which is on the same time zone of New York, has a 40 minutes displacement from its "real" time.

EtA: A few quick calculations: the largest displacement for the US is about 1 hour; the Spanish region of Galicia is displaced by 1 hour and half, St Peterburg by 2 hours, and inner China by more than 3 hours.

Last edited by iguana_tonante; November 4 2013 at 01:00 AM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 12:50 AM   #45
MacLeod
Admiral

Waking up early, I realized there is a reason why we need daylight saving time. It's what happens in the morning, not necessarily at night. I like that it stays light later in daylight time, but the week leading up to the roll back, it doesn't really get light in the morning until after 7:00 AM. Do we really want to go to work or school with it still being dark? I know I don't, and the light does help me wake up in the morning.

You know sometimes I go to work before the sunrises and don't leave until after it's set. But we in many resepcts live in a 24/7 global age. But disregarding the global aspect of it I'm sure you are right many of hours would much rather goto work/school when it is light and return home before it gets dark.

But we all like the conveniance of going to the local supermarket, tanking up the car etc... Yet are less willing to work what is often called the graveyard shift (overnight).
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote